Industrial Design

LMAO at that snooze alarm clock.

The tea boat is pretty cool though.

Someone talked about Nubrella earlier in this thread so I thought I should post some pictures for anyone who is curious about it. I recently saw it in a magazine and I think it seems very confortable, cause it leaves your hands free. I've always had a problem with umbrelllas because I'm always carrying material and books. But I guess this won't catch on cause the design is too flamboyant. Anyone in the big cities has seen one of these?
nubrella_markbaard.jpg

nubrelladieterpetereit.jpg

{flickr:dieterpetereit/markbaard}

^ No, can't say I've ever seen one in person, but I'm definitely intrigued by the design, mainly because it'd protect my hair from the rain without me having to hold an umbrella. :lol: I have to say, however, that my first reaction upon seeing that photograph was the slight resemblance to Emilio Pucci for Braniff's "space helmet" in the 1960s:

darkroastedblend.com

Someone talked about Nubrella earlier in this thread so I thought I should post some pictures for anyone who is curious about it. I recently saw it in a magazine and I think it seems very confortable, cause it leaves your hands free. I've always had a problem with umbrelllas because I'm always carrying material and books. But I guess this won't catch on cause the design is too flamboyant. Anyone in the big cities has seen one of these?
I think they might have taken some inspiration from Hussein Chalayan's A/W 2007 (or vice versa...) :wink::

Last edited by a moderator:
Some winners of the 'Japanese new souvenir competition':
moustache_fuji_1.jpg

Moustache Fuji (Mariko Takeuchi
)
“Moustache Fuji,” a fake moustache resembling a snow-capped Mt. Fuji, is a subtle but bold fashion statement that pays homage to Japan’s most sacred landmark. Described as a “moustache communication tool,” this fun-to-wear facial accessory lets you inject a little Japanese flair into meetings, parties and summits.
souvenir_3.jpg

Japanese, Face (Kozue Kojima)
These “Japanese, Face” beauty masks moisturize the skin while giving you a traditional Japanese kabuki-esque appearance.
souvenir_2.jpg

139 Views of Mt. Fuji (Keita Suzuki)
Inspired by Hokusai’s famous “36 Views of Mount Fuji” series of woodblock prints, the “139 Views of Mt. Fuji” drinking glass lets you reflect on the ephemeral beauty of Mt. Fuji and the Japanese seasons while you drink. Enjoy a different “view” of the mountain with each new type of beverage you pour.
pinktentacle

This is one for all the fashionistas : Make a beautiful exhibit of your favorite garments:

Swang is a clothes hanger, which is attached to the ceiling.Produced with an 8mm sping steel stick and an covering of natural rubber, you can fix swang with the screw thread, which is at one end of stick, at any ceilings.Swang can be used single or in pride of hangers. Because of the lightness and flexibility, swang is able to carry different clothes and weights. Walking past and touching the hangers, swang starts to swing and balance.Different heights of rooms make it necessary to design swang in various lenghts like S, M, L and XL. This structure is similar to the conventional sizes of clothes.
+ Sebastian Herkner via pan-dan.blogspot.com

View attachment 424101

that is so perfect for a fashion designer ^ :heart:
or clothing collector

and also me, who has no closet :angel:

i was hoping he'd write where to buy them on his website but i can't find any info :unsure: it's so great, because it's so portable. a big plus in my books

nope^

there is a straw mat there :o it is used as a bedsheet:shock:

^Yeah, i saw that. I wonder how that would feel after a night's rest?

Did you see last year's winner? I thought it was a cool idea.
2092367778_6cdcb6e738_o.jpg

blog.barenomore.com

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many cloths though that can do the same, I think^..
It just has to be strong and made with threads that have this grip

I liked this year's winner
That nice powder from a flower
to be used as soap, and also has low effect on the environment
And that the powder itself also comes from waste.
Very nice container design too for the product

-

In the Philippines they use a straw/bamboo mat for sleeping on too
I think maybe the Japanese do it too?
But they put a cover on top of it.
I was surprised though, for the one on the Muji site, it is called a bed sheet.. so assuming you won't put anything more on top of it... I have some linen fabrics and I wouldn't say even they are comfortable to sleep on. But in a way as a shirt, it's fine .. something appealing about it being lightly abrasive ^^

lunch_bag_1.jpg

Tired of having your food stolen by sticky-fingered coworkers or roommates? Bullies taking your kid's lunch? Well, worry no more . . . Anti-Theft Lunch Bags are sandwich bags that have green splotches printed on both sides, making your freshly prepared lunch look spoiled. Don't suffer the injustice of having your sandwich stolen again! Protect your lunch with Anti-Theft Lunch Bags.
maybe a little OTT..?
thinkofthe.com

anamorphic207.jpg

Anamorphic Cups

"Anamorphic" refers to a distorted image that only appears normal when viewed with a special device. The most common of these is the anamorphic cylinder, which typically consists of a mirrored cylinder placed in the center of a distorted painting. Such curiosities first appeared in the 1600s, and became popular throughout Europe in the 18th century.

The Anamorphic Cup is the first product to employ the centuries old visual play of the anamorphic cylinder. The stainless steel cup has a polished mirror finish. The porcelain saucer is printed with distorted images or words. These graphics can only be viewed correctly though the curved, reflective surface of the cup. The image is indecipherable when the cup and saucer are separate.

A prototype of the Anamorphic Cup was first shown during Tokyo Designers Block 2003, and consequently became a retail product the following year.

Anamorphic Cups are available from Wings Trading (HK) Co., Ltd.

digital20dali.jpg

Digital Dali

Digital Dali rests on the edge of any horizontal surface. The power cord can either run out of the back, or from the bottom to be concealed by the tabletop.

> Design Forum 1995: Commended

paulm.jpg

Computer Tower

We ascribe personalities to our computers anyway. Why not go all the way?

normaldesign.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->