Industry Insiders News - Hirings, Firings, Moves and Promotions

Paula Reed out, Susannah Frankel in at Grazia:

Grazia has announced the appointment of Susannah Frankel as fashion director for the magazine.

Frankel joins from The Independent, where she has held the role of fashion editor for 13 years and has interviewed names such as Miuccia Prada, Vivienne Westwood, Karl Lagerfeld, Tom Ford, Donatella Versace.

On her appointment, Frankel said: “Grazia is a wonderful place to celebrate fashion, to communicate its huge scope and show how inspiring, entertaining and uplifting it can be. I am really delighted to be joining the magazine.”

She will report to Jane Bruton, Grazia’s editor-in-chief, who said: “We are thrilled to have someone of Susannah’s calibre join the senior team at Grazia; she brings a wealth of experience as well as the relationships she has formed in the fashion industry that go back over 15 years. Her energy, ideas and passion for Grazia just blew me away, and I look forward to seeing her vision come to life as we enter an exciting new chapter for the magazine.”

thedrum.co.uk

^ Was just about to post that, knew she had to be going somewhere.

Department store retailer Harvey Nichols has appointed fashion magazine Grazia style director, Paula Reed, as its group fashion director where she will head up own bought buying for womenswear, menswear and accessories.
retail-week.com

^I read somewhere that she isn't going to be heading there as a buyer, just Fashion Director... whatever that means, they're yet to fill the spot of Buyer since Averyl Oates left :unsure:.

^ You're right, here from British Vogue:

PAULA REED has been hired as Harvey Nichols' new fashion director. Currently Grazia's style director, Reed will begin her new job - which is a newly created role at the department store - on September 21.

She will report to Harvey Nichols chief executive, Joseph Wan, who has said of her appointment: "I am delighted that Paula is joining the senior management team here at Harvey Nichols, bringing with her a wealth of experience gained in a number of Fashion Director roles across key fashion titles including, The Sunday Times, Harpers & Queen, InStyle UK and Grazia as well as relationships she has formed in the fashion industry that go back over twenty years. Her broad experience in fashion complements what Harvey Nichols represents, from the most exclusive luxury brands to the more accessible levels of fashion."

The role is not related to the still vacant position of Harvey Nichols' buying director - a job Averyl Oates stepped down from in October
vogue.co.uk

Harper's U.K. Names Justine Picardie Editor-In-Chief

LONDON — Harper’s Bazaar U.K. has named Justine Picardie its new editor-in-chief, following the departure of former editor-in-chief Lucy Yeomans earlier this year to join Net-A-Porter. Picardie replaces acting editor Jenny Dickinson, who will stay at the title as consultant editor until the end of the year.

Picardie, an author and fashion journalist who last year published a biography of Coco Chanel titled “Coco Chanel — The Legend and the Life,” will take up her role on Sept. 10.

Picardie has written for British newspapers including The Times and the Daily Telegraph, and was editor of the Observer magazine. She currently contributes to the U.S. and U.K. editions of Harper’s Bazaar and is a former features director of British Vogue.

Picardie said in a statement: “I’m tremendously excited to be taking this position on a magazine that has already achieved so much under the great leadership of former editor-in-chief Lucy Yeomans,” stated Picardie. “Bazaar has an inspiring heritage as a luxury brand from the days of Carmel Snow, Alexey Brodovitch and Diana Vreeland, to Fabien Baron and Liz Tilberis, and I hope to celebrate the creativity and editorial ambition of the title with the same dedication of my predecessors.”

Bazaar’s publisher Hearst Magazine’s U.K. also announced that Marissa Bourke has been appointed as creative director of the title. She will take up her role in September, and joins the magazine after spending eight years as creative director of Elle U.K., another Hearst title. Picardie and Bourke had previously worked together at British Vogue in the late Nineties.

Hearst stated that Picardie and Bourke, together with Bazaar’s deputy editor Sarah Bailey and art director Tom Usher, would aim to “take the iconic luxury brand into a new era.”

Arnaud de Puyfontaine, chief executive of Hearst Magazines U.K. said: “The appointments of Justine and Marissa to their respective roles at Harper’s Bazaar is an exciting milestone for the prestigious luxury brand,” he stated. “Justine and Marissa are hugely talented and highly respected in the industry, and I look forward to seeing the results of this unique creative partnership.”
wwd.com

Sally Singer Out at T

Sally Singer is out as editor of T: The New York Times Style Magazine. Singer joined the Times back in July 2010 after a long run at Vogue as fashion news and features director. At the time, she succeeded Stefano Tonchi who left T to become editor in chief of W. A spokeswoman confirmed to WWD that Singer is leaving at the end of the week.
"I'm sorry to announce that Sally Singer will be leaving T magazine and The Times at the end of this month," said executive editor Jill Abramson, in a note to the staff. "Sally's contributions are clear to anyone who's read the magazine during her tenure. Gorgeous visuals, interesting stories and enterprising features — both in print and online — have been hallmarks of her stewardship. We wish her every success." No successor has been named.

source: wwd

saw a tweet earlier today from twitter.com/jimshi809:

Breaking: Marie Claire EIC Joanna Coles named EIC of Cosmopolitan, succeeding Kate White, who is retiring @ end of the year after 14 yrs.

Interesting... I wonder if we can expect a total overhaul and less blatant sex talk?

Natalie Massnet named Chairman of the BFC, succeeding previous Chairman Harold Tillman.

Anamaria Wilson Leaves Harper’s Bazaar for Michael Kors

Anamaria Wilson, who has worked in fashion journalism for twenty years, is switching to the PR side of the industry: She's leaving her job as the fashion features director at Harper's Bazaar to be the new vice-president of global corporate communications at Michael Kors. Her replacement hasn't been named yet, so presumably they're still looking, should anyone be interested.
the cut, nymag.com

Breaking: Carine Roitfeld Named Global Fashion Director of Harper's Bazaar

Harper's BAZAAR is thrilled to announce style icon Carine Roitfeld as global fashion director for the magazine. Roitfeld will produce a limited amount of editorials for the magazine to run across world wide editions, it was announced today by David Carey, president, Hearst Magazines, and Duncan Edwards, president and CEO, Hearst Magazines International. Roitfeld will collaborate with Stephen Gan, creative director of Harper’s BAZAAR U.S., on several stories a year starting in the March 2013 issues of all 26 international editions of BAZAAR, which have a combined audience of more than 11.3 million worldwide. The special project may include covers of many of BAZAAR's international editions. Roitfeld, who has recently published the first edition of her new magazine CR Fashion Book, will give her own unique take on the key fashion trends each season. Edwards commented, "This collaboration marks the first time anything like this has been done and we’re very excited about what Carine will bring to BAZAAR editions around the world. She is a visionary in the fashion world and we are so happy to be working with her." Carey said, "Hearst is the world's largest publisher of monthly magazines, and we're always looking for powerful ideas that can play out across the globe. Carine is one of the fashion world’s most influential tastemakers and we look forward to seeing what she does with BAZAAR. Her contributions will help lead the company to new heights on the creative front." "I am thrilled to be contributing to BAZAAR, a brand with a rich history of creativity,” said Roitfeld. “Working with Stephen and a roster of talented photographers will be a wonderful collaboration and one that will give these stories a truly global audience." Roitfeld will continue to work on her various other projects including her newly launched biannual, CR Fashion Book.

harpersbazaar.com

Kristina O’Neill Named Editor of WSJ. Magazine

NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The Wall Street Journal announced today the appointment of Kristina O’Neill as editor of WSJ. Magazine. Effective Oct. 29, Ms. O’Neill will oversee all editorial content of WSJ., the Journal’s luxury lifestyle magazine that appears as part of WSJ Weekend. Ms. O’Neill most recently served as executive editor of Harper’s Bazaar magazine, where she has worked since 2000.

As the number two editor at Harper’s Bazaar, Ms. O’Neill helped drive the magazine’s editorial vision and direction. She was instrumental in more than a decade of designer coverage, collaborated with storied writers and photographers, oversaw brand extensions and was an integral part of the critically acclaimed March 2012 redesign.

“The appointment of Kristina, one of America’s most talented editors, marks a new phase of the exponential evolution of WSJ.,” said Robert Thomson, editor-in-chief of Dow Jones & Company and managing editor of The Wall Street Journal. “We are increasing the frequency and expanding global reach in the coming year with our winning mix of intelligent writing and visual virtuosity – gloss without dross is our magazine mantra.”

“I am absolutely thrilled to be joining The Wall Street Journal, with its incredible reputation and reach,” said Ms. O’Neill. “WSJ. Magazine is on a roll, and I can’t wait to pick up the momentum and create content that further drives the conversation.”

Ms. O’Neill will report to Ruth Altchek, who has been named to the newly created role of editorial director for WSJ Weekend, overseeing the Off Duty lifestyle section and WSJ. Magazine. Ms. Altchek has served as editor of Off Duty since August 2011, after joining the Journal as a news editor to help oversee the section’s September 2010 launch.

In conjunction with the November issue, WSJ. will celebrate its second annual Innovator of the Year Awards later this week in New York City, honoring winners across six categories, including Fashion, Architecture, Design, Education, Art and Technology, hosted by Mr. Thomson. The November Innovators issue will appear as part of WSJ Weekend on Saturday, Oct. 27.

The Journal recently announced plans to increase the frequency of WSJ., which will publish 11 issues in 2013 and 12 issues in 2014. The magazine launched in September 2008 as a quarterly publication. It appears globally as part of WSJ Weekend in the U.S. and in the Journal’s Europe and Asia editions as well as online via wsj.com/magazine.
observer.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Sally Singer Heads Back to Vogue

(NEW YORK) Sally Singer took a two-year T time away from Vogue, but she's returning to the title to become Vogue's inaugural digital creative director. Singer will report to Anna Wintour (yet again) in her new gig, and will collaborate with Vogue.com editor Caroline Palmer in the newly-minted capacity. Singer's first tour de Vogue began in 1999, when she joined the mag after a stint as fashion director at New York. In June 2010, Singer decamped from her Vogue perch as fashion news and features director to become editor-in-chief of T. Singer parted ways with the Times' stylish insert in August, with WSJ.'s Deborah Needleman assuming the EIC role at T last month. Singer will rejoin Vogue on October 29.

fashionweekdaily.com

Robin Givhan Reportedly Among The Layoffs At Newsweek

Fashion critic Robin Givhan will leave her post at Newsweek/The Daily Beast at the end of the year, Daily Intel is reporting , one of a number of staffers who were laid off from or voluntarily departed the outlet this week. Givhan told the blog that she’s planning to finish working on a book about the Grand Divertissement à Versailles, the historic 1973 fashion show that served as a coming-out party for both American designers and African-American models , and search for a new job. Givhan joined Tina Brown’s enterprise from the The Washington Post, where she earned a Pulitzer Prize for her criticism.
style.com

Julia von Boehm Named the International Fashion Director at Interview Germany

Julia x InterviewInterview Germany announced that Julia von Boehm will join the ranks of its magazine as the International Fashion Director starting February. “I’m thrilled that with Julia von Boehm, we have the internationally most renowned German stylist on board. With her input, we’ll be able to further reinforce our status as one of the leading fashion magazines in Europe,“ says chairman Bernd Runge. In the past, Von Boehm has produced editorial and cover shoots for English and American Harper’s Bazaar as well as German, Russian, Japanese and Chinese Vogue, CR Magazine and V Magazine.
fashiongonerogue.com

Weeping tears over this one.

Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Edwina McCann announces the appointment of a fashion director as Vogue's creative director heads to New York.

Vogue's senior fashion editor Christine Centenera will assume the role of fashion director of Vogue Australia following the successful launch of Miss Vogue under her stewardship.

"Christine is an incredibly talented stylist and a focused team leader. She has been mentored by Jillian Davison for five years and totally encapsulates the DNA of Vogue Australia both through her work and her personal style," says McCann. This year she has created two of our best-selling covers, Cara Delevingne and Erica Packer."

"I'm excited and honoured to take on this new role at Vogue Australia," says Centenera. "I'm proud to work for the Vogue brand and I look forward to new challenges and responsibilities and leading the very talented fashion team. Jillian has been an incredible mentor and friend over the past years and I will miss her dearly."

Vogue Australia creative director Jillian Davison has been asked by US Glamour’s editor-in-chief Cindi Leive and Conde Nast’s artistic director Anna Wintour to lead the fashion team of US Glamour, reporting to Leive. Davison will move to New York with her family in January to take up the position.

"It's an enormous honour for my colleague and friend to be asked to take on this important role," says McCann. "It's a wonderful testament to the work she has done with the Vogue team here in Australia. Jillian is and will always remain part of the Vogue Australia family."

vogue.com.au via AL92

:shock:

French Vogue Editor Said Heading to Maje

Rumor has it Capucine Safyurtlu, longtime fashion and market editor at French Vogue, is to exit the magazine and join Maje. It is understood she will work beside Maje founder and artistic director Judith Milgrom on style and image matters.

wwd

Joanna Coles Named Editorial Director of Seventeen

Barely an hour after Cosmopolitan editor in chief Joanna Coles wrapped up a panel at Advertising Week, where she discussed marketing to women with Facebook CMO (and Cosmo careers editor) Sheryl Sandberg, Hearst announced that Coles had added another major title to her existing one: editorial director of Seventeen magazine.
adweek

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouA
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->