Taylor Tomasi Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel like stuff like this happens all the time, doesn't it?

Christine Centenera from Australian Harper's Bazaar is consulting on Kanye West's new fashion line (not that that's exactly comparable to this) and Emmanuelle Alt worked with Balmain (Melanie Ward too) and Isabel Marant etc.... this isn't really much different, right?

yeah- but they aren't supposed to...not officially...
and they are certainly not going around announcing it, usually...
usually it's stuff they do quietly, on the side...
they certainly don't send out press releases about it, for the most part...

hmmm...
i'm just wondering of things are loosening up at some of the mags now?...
it's interesting, to say the least...

yea, i was under the impression it happened all the time but was something that wasn't really talked about let alone broadcast.

Well I think that in te past, consultants weren't supposed to be known. Alt has been consulting for years at Balmain, before everybody dared to say it out loud. But seems like things are changing right now, it's almost as if consultant were the new it trend for the big houses. That's why, they realease official announcement.

As for Taylor I don't know if she will keep her position at Marie-Claire. I hope she will. Because otherwis we won't see her that much during fashion weeks.

Sigerson Morrison could definitely use a more youthful eye, not even sure they needed to go so far as to hire Taylor, but I guess the press alone will be worth the money they fork out for her to consult. I've always felt their shoes were way over-priced and off-trend.

i think it may be that these magazine people are becoming brands unto themselves in a sense and are more known by the public so it's to the company's advantage to attach themselves to whatever the person represents...

i think sigerson morrison is definitely trying to capitalize on taylor's street style prowess to help sell some shoes and gain some cool points

^ no doubt. they see that she is gaining a cult following and want to cash in and lure in the fashion crowd knowing everyone else will follow. its actually a pretty good idea.

^ Is it? Because then once that person leaves the brand what are they left with? It seems a lot of criticism about how much the label "sucks now", judging from similar recent cases of this. I think it's risky, and frankly quite lame, to base your label around a well-known fashion personality.

Are they basing their label around her, though or just asking her to help with styling? I guess it is clearly different than featuring a celeb in an ad. In this case, she will be behind the scenes just helping with looks/design, and presumably on only a part time basis at that.

I agree that SM is overpriced, and that the line needs updating, but they still have some cute shoes imo.

I think hiring Taylor as a consultant is a good idea; it can't hurt to try it out anyhow.

i think its more styling and input as opposed to basing a label around her. if they are basing the label around her, then i will agree with you and say that is just dumb. i assume they see her as an up and coming force in the fashion world and want (and need) input from someone on the forefront of fashion.

US Marie Claire September 2011 storemags via visualoptimism
Objects of Desire
Photographer: Ruven Afanador
Stylist: Taylor Tomasi Hill
Hair- Christopher Ritchey
Make Up- Genevieve

Last edited by a moderator:
US Marie Claire September 2011 storemags via visualoptimism
Objects of Desire
Photographer: Ruven Afanador
Stylist: Taylor Tomasi Hill
Hair- Christopher Ritchey
Make Up- Genevieve

Damn she is quite the stylist. Love this editorial.

Like you said earlier soft its strange to see someone with her background do so well in styling and to me it looks like she's making more and more of a transition into it (not just focusing on accessories). And no complaints from me! I've been loving all of her styling work.

She's left Marie Claire to become artistic director of the online retailer Moda Operandi.

Perhaps this will allow her to work on some/more of those projects like her collaboration with Sigerson Morrison without it being a conflict of interest.

Brief mention about it in The New York Times.

Retail Site Raids a Big Closet
by Eric Wilson

SINCE its debut in February, Moda Operandi, the online retailer that sells designer clothes right off the runway, has become a surprise competitor on the lucrative trunk-show circuit. During the September fashion shows, for example, the average transaction on the site reached $1,800, and one customer, on a single visit, spent $42,000 on clothes that won’t be available in other stores until spring.

Now the site is becoming a competitor to traditional department stores and magazines for personnel, as well. Roopal Patel, a longtime executive in the fashion offices of Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, will join Moda Operandi this month as its fashion director. And Taylor Tomasi Hill, formerly the style and accessories director of Marie Claire, will become its artistic director.

“We want to continue to build our relationships with major brands,” said Aslaug Magnusdottir, a former Gilt Groupe executive who founded Moda Operandi with Lauren Santo Domingo, a contributing editor at Vogue, who is the creative director of the site. “We plan to increase the number of trunk shows we will show on the site, with more ready-to-wear, accessories and jewelry.”

Ms. Patel and Ms. Tomasi Hill are among the industry insiders who have become broadly known through popular blogs that obsessively track their style. Ms. Patel, who was most recently the senior women’s accessories editor of Neiman Marcus, will oversee merchandising. Ms. Tomasi Hill will focus on the editorial components.

Moda Operandi has been growing rapidly, Ms. Magnusdottir said, and more so since September, when Condé Nast invested in the company, a move that coincided with its deal with Vogue to link some of its sales to runway images on Vogue.com. An increasing number of designers are making their collections available there, making it a further threat to stores like Bergdorf and Barneys. Designers like Diane Von Furstenberg, Derek Lam and Proenza Schouler were among those available this season.

Ms. Magnusdottir said that as the business grows, there will be more magazine-like displays to guide customers, “to identify the items they absolutely can’t miss.”

nytimes

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Interesting news. I would love hear directly from Taylor about this move. But in any case, congrats to her.

as predicted...by me...
you'd have to be blind not to have seen this one coming...
:lol:...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->