Is a fashion show only a show?

JulienHSM

Reaction score
In the line of my work for a british website I came accross a french article written by Katell Pouliquen for L'Express Styles (that you can find here: http://www.lexpress.fr/styles/mode/c-est-quoi-la-mode-en-2011_1049824.html) and one question she asks particularly interested me.

"Is a fashion only a show?"
She answers by pretty much saying: 'ok deisgners, its cool you're doing conceptual clothes and all but we won't wear your clothes like this so please put some wearable outifts in your show'

I put myself in her place and answered the same question:
The answer is ‘yes’, if it wasn’t they would have disappeared by now.
We go to shows for the atmosphere, for the music, for the feeling, for the people. We go to fashion shows to live an experience, the experience the designer or the brand want us to feel, so that we understand his/her collection better. If clothes were the only thing we were interested in we would stick to showroom appointments. In the showrooms we can touch the clothes and if your size allows it try them on; we don’t stifle from the heat or are cold from head to toe in showrooms. We don’t wait sometimes hours for one to open, we don’t get pushed outside of a their doors. Showrooms are so much easier.
But in such a commercial state of fashion, seeing a moment of pure creation, whether it’s wearable or not is so inspiring. Of course you won’t probably dress like a Comme des Garçons, Rick Owens or a Versace model but who cares, it’s a show!
I don’t think we should ask designers to deliver something commercial on the catwalk, this is probably the only place they have some kind of liberty. Where Mrs Pouliquen is right is when she says some designers, as Haider Ackermann, don’t include wearable and commercial pieces either in his show or his showroom. But don’t worry, he will eventually realize that if he wants to keep designing he is going to have to sell some clothes.

What do you guys think?

I kind of see fashion shows sort of as art shows, where designers are showing us their talent and artistic abilities.

A fashion show is mainly to showcase an aesthetic, I think. And when you break down a Versace or a Haider Ackermann show, I'm sure you will find more more wearable pieces than the styling might suggest. And I think pieces in a Rick Owens show are usually completely wearable, they're just styled in a goth-princess kinda way.

Fashion shows are stylized highly because of the show aspect. Without the theatrical lighting, music and creative styling, what fun would fashion shows be? Fashion shows need hype because they are a big marketing aspect. The more elaborate and exclusive the shows are, the more attention it brings. Adding celebrities and inviting artists to perform, only add to the show. When you see a model walking down the runway, you see the ultimate customer of the designer. However, not all shows are heavily stylized if you look closely. When buyers, customers and editors watch the show, it's up to them to pick and choose what items they would keep and remove for their purpose.

Fashion shows are advertising campaigns.

Compare fashion shows in the 80s or early 90s to the ones today. I wouldn't really call it art either (the shows themselves). But I do agree that an embroidered gown with a tight structure (the garment itself, apart from the glitz of a fashion show) would be an amazing piece of art in it of itself.

I do agree that when one views a show, a model on the catwalk is wearing maybe 1 or 2 actual wearable pieces and the rest is either drawn up for theatrics or excitement. There's a way to navigate shows sotospeak.

I don't usually visit any other forum on tFS like this one, but I'll try to make an effort here.

You know, I like to think a fashion show is more than just a fashion show. They can be a reflection of current times. They can be a representation of a certain culture or certain cultural trends. Even for someone completely not qualified or educated to talk fashion, a fashion show is MORE than just a show, and it all mostly depends on the show's significance and what it means to the people involved and the people and culture involved.

At least, that's my view.

fashion shows are more of a subjective art form. there are those who are unmoved by shows and those who are inspired and in awe- just like regular art. shows are very much alike in the way they come about, they go through a process where the artist creates a piece, curates the show and ultimately has an open gallery for people to observe. fashion shows can transcend being just 'shows' just like a painting can be more than just paint on canvas. in lamest terms, there is no correct answer that can be given to that question- it's an opinion that is replied with.

Yeah, I have similar feelings as ughdavid.
I think some people go to shows just to see the clothes
Whereas some people go to shows to experience everything:
The lighting, the music, the models, the walking, the atmosphere, etc.
It means something different for every attendee.

Personally, I find them to be important.
A show or presentation is another channel in which a designer communicates the message or feeling of a collection and the brand.
I think in today's society they can help give the brand an added value.
Tom Ford's private presentation says something different than Betsey Johnson rolling down her runway on a bicycle and doing cartwheels, y'know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->