Is it really necessary to have fashion weeks in four different cities?

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
What are the differences between the locales?

Fashion weeks are filled with glamour and celebrities, but they are, essentially, trade shows, opportunities for manufacturers to present their wares to buyers. Each country that is a serious producer of fashion has its own fashion week. Today, in addition to New York, London, Milan, and Paris, fashion weeks are held in Tokyo, São Paulo, and Moscow.

For a long time, the four major fashion capitals had identifiable styles. Milan was known for streamlined clothes and industrial might. (Giorgio Armani is an example of the first; the now-defunct Genny Group, which produced Genny and Byblos, in addition to other labels, is an example of the latter.) Paris "owned" extravagant femininity (the applied decoration of Christian Lacroix or Valentino) and the experimental (Yohji Yamamoto, Commes des Garcons). London meant social commentary on the one hand (Vivienne Westwood's punk) and ladylike fashion on the other (Jean Muir). And New York was known for sportswear (the interchangeable separates of Perry Ellis, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan).

In the early '90s, though, designers began to be plucked from their home countries to design big-name collections abroad. (Oscar de la Renta, a New York designer, once also designed for Balmain, in Paris. Gianfranco Ferre, from Milan, once designed for the French Christian Dior. Marc Jacobs, whose own business is based in New York, now also designs Louis Vuitton, in Paris.) Today, when Brit Jonathan Saunders shows in New York and American Rick Owens shows in Paris, national distinctions are all but irrelevant, though I'd argue that, at their best, the collections do reflect those core aesthetics.

by Josh Patner
slate.com

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting point that he makes. And I do agree with his last statement, that despite the fact that Italian designers are running French Houses, and British designers are showing in NY, the capitals really still do hold onto the traditions of the capital they're in.

In a way it's great that fashion capitals are becoming so mixed, just because one is American born and trained doesn't mean that their aesthetics and business choices are "American".

i think there are two big factors that designers consider when deciding to show in a city other than their own...

A- will the buyers and editors respond to my work because it is similar to others who are showing in this city...*birds of a feather flock together and all that...

B- will the buyers and editors notice me more, will i stand out, because my work is so different to other showing in this city...*sometimes being a fish out of water is a good thing...

there are other factors as well, of course...
but i think those are the two major considerations..

because as the article states...
these are basically trade shows...
and the goal is always to promote and sell your line..

B- will the buyers and editors notice me more, will i stand out, because my work is so different to other showing in this city...*sometimes being a fish out of water is a good thing...
Interesting...as an aspiring designer myself, my highest goal is to show in Paris (chances are slim, but I'm going to make it there some day!:lol:)....but when you mention that, I immediately thought of Rodarte, who clearly stand out amongst the sportswear of New York and it has served them very well and in many ways worked to their advantage. Would most people have noticed them had the started showing amongst the hustle and bustle of Paris's Balenciaga, YSL, Dior, Chanel, Lanvin, Galliano, McQueen, Givenchy, JPG, etc. (not that they would have been overlooked because of talent, but they probably would have been so buried under all the established designers they would have been hard to catch)?

And I totally agree with the notion of fashion capitals. You can try to define the four cities...but that can be difficult because their are always exceptions and these exceptions change every season...but for me, what solidifies my stance on the power of the fashion capitals is...I try to imagine, say, Balenciaga (or any other Paris designer, really) showing in New York or London, and it just doesn't feel right. And the same holds true for most designers.

The city a designer shows in, in many ways, becomes a part of their aesthetic (either overtly or subtly)...it sort of...become them and they become the city! I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but it does in my head!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^i completely agree with what dior_couture and softgrey said. It's not about where the designer or the even the brands come from...
the city you chose responds to the kind of aesthetic you want, a kind of target, a precise market segment.
just look at Burberry w/ Chris Bailey showing in Milan!
or within the prada group a perfect example of

A- will the buyers and editors respond to my work because it is similar to others who are showing in this city...*birds of a feather flock together and all that...
--> miu miu showing in paris

--> prada showing in milan

it works for both labels!

I agree, essentially all four cities still meet their expectations, however it will be exciting to see if in the future this may possibly change, especially with the numerous fashion weeks that now exist.

I definately agree. It's a bit stereotypical, but each category represents each city and I think that is extremely important.

Moneys also a factor too. It's cheaper to show in your own country than anywhere else I assume.

--> prada showing in milan

it works for both labels!

Interestingly enough, I feel like Milan and Prada are one in the same... Gucci, Etro, and Marni come to mind.

Aesthetically, I feel like each city means something different, and separating it all just makes it more exciting; even the order they show in is invigorating to me.

First off is New York, a city that is synonymous with casual and sportswear, wearability. London gets a bit more exciting, avant garde; Milian is sizzling, and Paris is pretty much the most exciting part of the year for fashion nerds such as myself.

I dont see how more cities participating could possibly be a bad thing. Seeing new and interesting looks and ideas from all around the world is exciting, and i dont think some archaic tradition should stop us from recognizing amazing designers from abroad that dont necessarily have the cash to put on a 20,000 dollar show in Paris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkkccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->