Issey Miyake A-POC Collections

He talked in great length about A-poc when I saw him talk a couple of years ago. In the future he hopes to use the same process for architecture as well as standardized it as a garment production technique. It potentially can become the fastest and cheapest way to produce clothes (knitting is already cheaper), it cuts out several steps in the manufactoring process. Issey still actively designs the A-Poc line as well. Cologne and the RTW lines maybe the company's bread and butter, but this is the culmination of his carreer and where his heart is at.

thanks Mutterlein for sharing this:smile:
there seems to exist an A-POC newsletter, does anybody know more about?
i found the last one[?] here, it's from February'05
http://www.fake.fr/apoc
apoc6-cover.jpg
would be great to find more:smile:

Thanks for this mirra :flower: the Wired article was also great.
I find this very interesting from a design and manufacturing aspect - particularly the potential to apply it to furniture and even architecture!

I wonder if almost all clothes will be made with this method in the not so distant future... Or perhaps there will always be demand for sewn and knitted clothes..

Yep, the technique is amazing and Issey's a genius, but the the clothes suck big time. I was at the presentation of the first collection years back and loved it. The strong colors and futuristic shapes suited the time back then, but now when they're into all that earthy stuff it's starting to look way too "hobbit" for me very much like Issey's Haat range ...The whole Miyake world looks so dated now, it's a shame really...

tuomas said:
Yep, the technique is amazing and Issey's a genius, but the the clothes suck big time. I was at the presentation of the first collection years back and loved it. The strong colors and futuristic shapes suited the time back then, but now when they're into all that earthy stuff it's starting to look way too "hobbit" for me very much like Issey's Haat range ...The whole Miyake world looks so dated now, it's a shame really...

I think that is because Issey is no longer designing clothes for fashion really. He is more interested in the practical and functional aspects of clothing. The A-poc price tags don't reflect this but you can see in his designs, they are not tuned in with the fashion world whatsoever. They do tend to be more versatile across the ethnic and cultural textile spectrum. They could be worn in almost any country each with their own textile/garment history and still be acceptable.

It's funny A-poc happened. Issey bought a bunch of knitting machines and was like "what can we do with these?". He and Dai Fujiwara worked together and came up with the A-poc technique. Dai Fujiwara is really the co-creater and in some ways the brains of the project. He enginneered everything.

Mutterlein said:
I think that is because Issey is no longer designing clothes for fashion really. He is more interested in the practical and functional aspects of clothing. The A-poc price tags don't reflect this but you can see in his designs, they are not tuned in with the fashion world whatsoever. They do tend to be more versatile across the ethnic and cultural textile spectrum. They could be worn in almost any country each with their own textile/garment history and still be acceptable.
It's funny A-poc happened. Issey bought a bunch of knitting machines and was like "what can we do with these?". He and Dai Fujiwara worked together and came up with the A-poc technique. Dai Fujiwara is really the co-creater and in some ways the brains of the project. He enginneered everything.
thank you for fascinating thoughts and info Mutterlein:heart:
a nice site
http://www.zenzu.de/apoc/de/

I had the pleasure of visiting A-POC Space Aoyama in Tokyo in December and got hold of the September 2005 Journal describing the A-POC 14 collection including (finally!) a men's A-POC line.

Unfortunately due to store policy I wasn't able to take any photos inside, but I've scanned in the journal for those who are interested. I also purchased a 'baguette' customisable knit top which I'm hoping to share in another thread after I decide how to cut it! :wink:

View attachment 148462View attachment 148463View attachment 148464View attachment 148465

thanks for the scans Avantster!:smile: that's exciting - good luck with cutting the top:smile:

thanks avantster for the pics :flower:

mirra, i love all the pieces you posted! who says a-poc looks dated? i suppose the color combinations combined with the cut can look a bit outrageous, but if the pieces were all black, i'm sure people would jump on this sh*t. i think a-poc seems naturally suited for children's clothing, as they are naturally experimental, and can pull off an entire citrus color scheme. not to mention, the colors have the option of growing with you. snip, snip.

i never realised there was a men's collection- i really wanna give it a try but it's the one store in the marias that i'm intimidated by...

i really loved the concept . prolly on my next trip to japan i can jump in to a store and try to find out how it is made..
i think i can figure out, after look at the technologies available in japan. and its no surprise such garments coming in from japan!

this collection accrodin to me need 2 brains to be done, an engineering one and one designer....
Dai Fujiwara - did the engineering and concerting of the machines.. and
issey - did the first process i.e draping to get it started.

and voila a genius combination wid genius productivity. proll from 5 years from now im plannin to do the same thing^_^

This is really interesting - I'd love to be able to visit one of those stores and see the process!

A-poc

View attachment 162280

View attachment 162281

View attachment 162282

View attachment 162283[/ATTACH]

Hey i am so glad sum1 has started this thread coz i absolutely love the concept behind A-POC. I have been researching this for my degree. If anyone has ne more info about the concept and the designs I would love to know more. Thanx Helen x

These pictures came from 'Knitwear in Fashion' by Sandy Black (2002) London, Thames & Hudson.

As I said in my previous post I have been researching A-POC for my degree and made some comparisons with Julian Roberts 'Nothing Nothing' range. I have constructed some garments based on this concept and hope to produce an entire range for my degree show. I would be extremely grateful for ur opinions. Also make sure u check out Julian's thread coz I really like his work and it has a similar concept.

View attachment 162284 View attachment 162285

View attachment 162286 View attachment 162287

View attachment 162288 View attachment 162289

View attachment 162290 View attachment 162291

View attachment 162292 View attachment 162293

^ I think you should start a new thread and post your own creations there. This is the APOC thread:-)

Wow this is so interesting and odd! I wish i could go see more :D

nqth said:
^ I think you should start a new thread and post your own creations there. This is the APOC thread:-)

Yeah i know but i just wanted to show how i had adapted the A-POC concept to my own designs. Thanx Helen x

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->