The young apprentice: Japan's secret weapon (iht)

nqth

arndom
Reaction score
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/27/style/fjapan.php

The young apprentice: Japan's secret weapon

By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune
TUESDAY, MARCH 28, 2006

TOKYO Tao Kurihara stands by the bubble-pink door of her studio and peers anxiously inside. "It's so messy!" she says of the mild clutter of fabrics, drawings and samples. "I would not want Kawakubo to see it."

But Tao knows that Rei Kawakubo, founder of Comme des Garçons, will not enter her protégé's private studio, where 15 people are preparing Tao's patterns and samples and 30 are working for Junya Watanabe, another CDG designer with his own label.

Tao, now 32, joined the company in 1997 after training at London's Central Saint Martin's school. She spent eight years under the wing of Watanabe, 44, (who had himself spent a decade alongside Kawakubo) before she was allowed to create a modest collection. She has now graduated to a mini catwalk in the Paris showroom, offering intriguing concepts such as lingerie style in knits, trench coats inset with handkerchiefs and layered patch-dyed dresses.

"I still cannot believe what I am doing now," says Tao, who has another day job at CDG, creating the Tricot line.

She has Tokyo's apprentice system to thank. Abandoned throughout the Western world, it could be the secret weapon of Japanese fashion.

Issey Miyake, who has various labels under the master brand, had three designers on the runway at Japan Fashion Week. "It takes eight years," Miyake says, referring to the system of setting up separate lines in the shelter of his ¥24 billion, or $206 million, company.

Miyake's position as "master designer" is interesting because he gradually handed his signature label to his apprentice, Naoki Takizawa, who took over completely seven years ago. Takizawa, who has been allowed to put his own name above the door at the Roppongi Hills Miyake store, says that apprentice and master should have an age distance of about 20 years, as he does with Miyake and with his current team of 20-somethings.

Unlike designers clinging on to collections after 30 years, Miyake now concentrates on special projects, such as a foundation, which will open in 2007 as part of Tokyo's new midtown project. Named "21_21 Design Sight," the dedicated design center is under construction with the architect Tadeo Ando.

Miyake is also focused on A-POC (A Piece of Cloth), which started in 1998 as revolutionary garments cut from tubes of material and has now evolved to include jeans and furniture coverings.

At next month's Milan furniture fair, an A-POC project with the designer Ron Arad will show "upholstery" that can switch from covering an Arad's "Ripple" chair to clothing the human body.

"It is very important in the 21st century when everyone is wearing jeans and a T-shirt to find another way - in clothing and the future of furnishings," says Miyake.

Should Japanese fashion, searching for an identity in global fashion, make more of the apprentice idea?

Kawakubo - who opened last week in Kobe a new store with images of grand, gilded and chandeliered palaces - says that she is always "on the lookout for young talents." She then nurtures them within her $180 million company as they slowly develop a personal vision, as with Watanabe and Tao; or she supports fledgling designers in CDG's joint venture with the Corso Como store in Tokyo's Aoyama district - or in her menswear corner in the department store Isetan.

But in spite of her belief in upcoming talent, Kawakubo is leery about the structure of Japan Fashion Week, claiming that "it makes no sense for them to organize all these shows if the designers have nowhere to sell" and that "what money they put into the Japanese fashion system is put in the wrong place."

Kawakubo blames the department- store obsession with imported luxury brands and says that they do not value home-grown designers - or make space for them. She would like to see the big stores, where even she has to fight for space, "take a risk" with an entire Japanese designer floor.

"The few Japanese who are succeeding, such as Undercover, Number Nine, Tao or Sacai are strong, independent designers - but there is some other good talent out there if only they had better support and encouragement," says Kawakubo. "The money they pour into Fashion Week could be used so much more effectively if only they had a bigger vision, like bringing young designers to Europe and urging department stores and journalists to take more notice."

In spite of those tough words, last week's Japan Fashion Week runway shows were well-planned and smoothly operated. They included students from three colleges showing their talents. Esmod, a school with French roots, offered polished clothes, while other students were wildly experimental. Most Tokyo designers showed gentle, youthful styles such as Yab-Yum's Japanese flavored collection or more conventional couture looks from Ylang Ylang and miss ashida, the work of Jun Ashida's daughter, Tae. DressCamp's wild show followed in John Galliano's footprints.

But there was no sense of eager buyers or that stores (even though they were often sponsors) were promoting Japan Fashion Week alongside the cherry blossom spring festivals - except for wacky windows at Loveless. That store is a stone's throw from Miyake's A-POC boutique and the flagship CDG store, refurbished with vintage chandeliers and currently showcasing Kawakubo's new collection of lustrous real pearl jewelry in silver and gold.

The apprentice idea could be a pearl in the crown of Japanese fashion, and it is a system that deserves to be studied within the country and beyond. It could even solve the succession questions that hang over so many famous houses.

European fashion would be transformed by the Japanese concept of a master brand that can be constantly refreshed - and by the idea that the new talent can be given the opportunity to develop within the structure, rather than leave for total independence.

Great article Nqth - thanks so much for posting.

I read this too, and find the writing really poor, grammar, structure, etc....."a pearl in the crown of Japanese fashion".... quite a pearl of a cliche. I know we don't expect fashion journalists to win Pulitzers but this....yikes.

The idea of an apprentice or a son/daughter taking over is very Asian and is probably what makes a lot of successful Asian enterprises go wrong. The worshipful "favourite" gets to inherit, not the one most qualified and capable. Frankly, Tao is hardly making fashion news, just nice clothes, and no wonder.:rolleyes:

Zazie said:
The worshipful "favourite" gets to inherit, not the one most qualified and capable. Frankly, Tao is hardly making fashion news, just nice clothes, and no wonder.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking the same when I saw her clothes on display in several high-profile shops in Paris - what´s the deal about a white cotton trenchcoat, sewn together out of lace-y handkerchiefs? Seemed to me as the same category of gimmick-y details as what Viktor & Rolf are known for these days...

tricotineacetat said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same when I saw her clothes on display in several high-profile shops in Paris - what´s the deal about a white cotton trenchcoat, sewn together out of lace-y handkerchiefs? Seemed to me as the same category of gimmick-y details as what Viktor & Rolf are known for these days...

:shock: I'm not a massive fan of Tao, but it's a million miles away from the egomaniacal showboaters that are Viktor & Rolf..... There's nothing show-y about tao, it's very understated. Nice clothes seem like a good idea to me.

I don't think the article was saying that any of these people were setting the heather on fire; I don't think that was the point of it. The issue discussed int eh article - the "promotion" of previous assistants - seems to be to be a perfectly sensible way to deal with diversification and succession, that is, to encourage and promote people that you've worked with before. I'm not sure that is actually unique to Asian businesses, is it?

Agreed with Tricotinacetate's views about Tao - it's flimsy and nothing out of the ordinary - but from RK's fiery critique of Tokyo Fashion Week, you would be expecting her to be nurturing the next generation of revolutionaries. You look at Tao, and the irony immediately strikes you.:smile: Of course Tao will not and cannot be flamboyant or egoistical - there's a saying in Asia that one mountain cannot hold two tigers, or tigresses. That's the problem, someone who listens, who is reverential and deferential will simply not be blazing new ground, but be respectfully treading in the footsteps of The Great One. On the other hand, favouritism blinds the old guard from the weaknesses of those they nurture as successors. That's an age-old occurrence not unlike the weaknesses of the inheritance system or the monarchy. It's endemic in Asia, you see it in Wang (in IT), you see it in Tse, you see it in the second generation running huge conglomerates like a family business. This recipe simply doesn't yield a great, independent, bold designer.

Anyway, I'm really turned off by the cliche-ridden, poor writing of Suzy Menkes, and by the fact that she's always such a gushing, uncritical voice - I'm wondering myself if she's nurturing her own apprentice at the IHT, heehee. :D It's great that she is so positive about everything, but this constant applause isn't going to push the fashion industry forward. I'm sure all the designers love her, but this isn't her job, if you know what I mean. I think the NYTimes has much higher journalistic standards, at least their fashion reviewers are witty and entertaining enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think her comments on TFW were directed at the unwillingness of department stores in Japan to give space to Japanese designers. I fully agree with what you say Zazie about the likliehood of a favourite being almost inherently compliant with the "boss", but it's absolutely natural for the boss to have a sympathy with one who is sympathetic with her. Like I say, this is not unusual; it's generally how people get promoted. If someone doesn't like it, and isn't willing to be compliant, and therefore feels the need to move on, then they may do that. So this comes back to RKs comments on Japanese designers and how they are treated domestically - you would have an independent designer with a showcase (at fashionweek) and nowhere to sell.

I also agree with your comments about SM's writing, but I take no notice of that frankly. I only ever read fashion journalism for information......it's almost all cliche ridden crap. {Have you read the editorial in the new Arena Homme Plus?.....jeeze.)

You are welcome Johnny:-)

If hand knits and laces have been shown in prestigious museums and arts galleries (I just read an articel about it in a polish newspaper:-) lately, why not attach one or two of them into one of the most traditional piece of all clothes (the trench) and show sth really new. The TAO trenches are sweetest of all imo, girlish and not androgynous like trenches use to be. Who else does that? (Burberry quilted gold? Jeeze:-)

I think sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones. But it takes some "courage" to show it to the public and produce it.

The way of promoting young in house talents are nicely done, imo. Just ask anybody who does not work in fashion about TAO or APOC or Final Home and you can see the results. The "hype" od TAO is nothing compared with the other hypes in NY, Paris, or London. When you do sth you want ppl to know, it's natural. Here they do that by showing the clothes, not stars and celebs who get paid to atend the show and wear the labels inside out.

I don't think promoting ppl who respect you, your works, share the same aesthetics, who works between your company is wrong. The fashion house is not a finacial fund who wants to get money quick, anywhere anyway anyhow, isn't it:-)

I think RK comments on wasting money is very accurate:-) It is known (or at least has been) that labels in Japan get much better recognitions once they are successful abroad.

Johnny said:
:shock: I'm not a massive fan of Tao, but it's a million miles away from the egomaniacal showboaters that are Viktor & Rolf..... There's nothing show-y about tao, it's very understated. Nice clothes seem like a good idea to me.

I don't think the article was saying that any of these people were setting the heather on fire; I don't think that was the point of it. The issue discussed int eh article - the "promotion" of previous assistants - seems to be to be a perfectly sensible way to deal with diversification and succession, that is, to encourage and promote people that you've worked with before. I'm not sure that is actually unique to Asian businesses, is it?

:rofl:

Well, in the Western world, isn't the way it works that assistants have to leave a designer or house to get any real public recognition in their own right? CDG is pretty unique in having this huge family ("universe") of labels and designers. Sure, people inside get promoted here, but usually just a single name (the lead dog's) is the one that gets the public recognition.

PS I personally find Tao's focus a little bit narrow to be wearable by me personally, but I still find her work quite charming. You can certainly say that it's not that original or significant or whatever, but let's not forget the context :wink: She's getting all this recognition because she does stand out.

Johnny said:
encourage and promote people that you've worked with before. I'm not sure that is actually unique to Asian businesses, is it?

mmm...it is VERY unusual in the fashion industry...
where peopel have ego's the size of a small planet...
except they think that the universe revolves around THEM...

:P

while in the conglomerates, businessmen are running around BUYING creative companies...
kawakubo seems to be building her empire from the ground up...
adn since she is a designer herself...she seems to have a keen sense of how to do this...

because, as all those business boys have learned the hard way...
the fashion industry is a highly intuitive animal that doesn't function according to a standard business model...
that is why those business boys got SPANKED when they tried to do it that way...:P

Yes...all good stuff. I guess I didn't really see anything negative in the piece..... I did think of the comparison with other design houses, most of whom try to recruit the name du jour, even where that person may have no real feel or affinity for the house in question.

I think it's called "integrity"......

And fashionistat-ta - you hit the nail on the head with the "narrow frame of reference" point re Tao. That's exactly what I think about it.

You know, the idea of an apprenticeship and a protege even was an integral part of the old Couture system. You went to work with an older and established designer, you learned from them, and then you left to do your own thing. Ungaro and Givenchy worked under Balenciaga, Miyake even worked under Givenchy before going to Geoffery Beene. When Christian Dior left Lucien Lelong to start his own house the two continued to maintain a friendship and Lelong was very supportive (even after Dior took one of his Atelier managers with him!). Gaultier studied under Cardin and St. Laurent even named him as his Dauphin. There is a history of encouragment and support, I think it's more about recognizing vision than it is about favoritism.

Even in cases like Hedi Slimane and his excellent relationships with St. Laurent and Lagerfeld, they like him because they appreciate his vision and his voice. What we all think of Slimane is besides the point, I may not see what they see but I do respect the interest and attention they've invested in him.

So it's not unique to the eastern world and it's not foriegn to fashion, but the values have changed. It's not so simple when things are done within huge corporations and the market has changed so much.

^ Mutterlein, I think you're right ... there has been historically a fair amount of generosity from major French designers ... perhaps egos then were not quite as gargantuan, or perhaps it was combined with a sense of honor, gentlemanliness, or something along those lines ... ??

But I think what all this is showing is that it is indeed unusual for an apprentice in the Western fashion world to stretch his or her wings without leaving the fold, to mix my zoological metaphors :lol:

Great post Mutterlein!

I think it's rather sad to see the change in system away from an protege/mentor type relationship towards assistant/designer. Perhaps this has more to do with changing values towards the mindset of a company rather than an atelier.
In a way, the difference we see between this is party because of a difference in between Western and Eastern corporate values. In Japan large corporations are seen more as 'families' or 'clans'; it would be normal for the 'average' Japanese salaryman to work in one company his whole life, and for his son/daughter to get a job in a company under the same parent corporation group. Because of these values of being bonded together to a company much like a family, I think this is why the protege/mentor relationship is much more apparent in Japan.

IMHO there is something quietly appealing about a protege nurturing the creative development of an apprentice, not just in teaching but helping them to establish their own name, and in a sense 'passing the torch'.

really good article. suzy menkes always has something interesting to say. i really dig the apprentice system that rei has over at comme. tao is an amazing designer and i'm glad we get to see her talents.

I don't think anyone really knows what "apprenticeship" means in Japan. It is a completely different animal from the "YSL/Dior" examples in Europe, where a very talented designer can work in several firms to learn different skills and to build one's network. My friends who work in Japanese firms describe almost total obeisance to the Big Sensei, working by consensus, not leaving office till everyone else does (3am on many days!), little freedom and independence and draconian rules to follow. Doesn't it sound alarm bells when they talk of apprenticeships of 20 years to earn a shot at helmsmanship at Issey Miyake???!!! It's simply an uncritical, over-romanticization of a stifling system, putting the Great One on a pedestal, as if it takes decades to learn from The Master like Jet Li's martial arts! Under this kind of system, you won't ever have young designers like Theyskens, Ghesquiere, Elbaz, Tisci, gaining valuable experience and industry exposure from different designers before heading big established brands and infusing them with their fresh ideas and idealistic talent. Even Gaultier emerged young and survived, of course always tested by the market, and then got his chance at Hermes. Sure, many less talented ones flunked out, eg. Jeremy Scott, Julien McDonald at the unfortunate brands like Givenchy, but on the whole, even they find a way to finance their own brands. The design industry in Europe is very supportive and sympathetic to new designers, and it even accepts non Europeans, Americans and Asians, not just a close-knit insider affair. Can you imagine any of the major Japanese taking in a non Japanese to groom for a head designer role? The test of the pudding is in the tasting, Japan is a rich, powerful country half the size of America, it has many, many successful international brands, Toyota, Sony, etc., its pop and traditional culture much loved and very popular with the rest of the world, but it simply isn't as strong in the area of fashion and design which privileges individuality and creativity. Even tiny Belgium outshines it in many ways. This really isn't something to praise, but then of course, we have Suzy....

^ Very good point, Zazie:-) 20 years should make one thinking.

But are you sure that working in a western comp. doesn't mean staying late and not just making coffee and buying soups:-)? I remember an article about british expats who prefer working in Italy than some where else because they can work in more serious projects. It was like you finish Central Saint Martins and you choose colours for stockings at a fashion house. (Can't remember exactly) Now look at how CK works with their head designer.

Agree on the more democratic aproach in western comp, tho. In the other hand, Japan in general is very closed. They "opened" their banking system only some years ago. You can't demand archaic fashion houses to be years ahead of electronic firms or banks. There are language, psychological... barriers. There are tons of japanese designers working under their own labels, not really known in Europe. I am sure a lot of them have worked and gained experiences in the big houses.

That's one way of looking at it Zazie, for sure. Another, perhaps, is that large European labels, like Chloe, Givenchy, Rochas, Balenciaga, completely off the fashion map for years, considered that it was a good idea, in order to bring them forward again, to hire a precociously young designer, with absolutely nothing to do with the brand, and to market that move aggresively. It's unusual to compare these brands with comme or issey or yohji in a negative way, or indeed at all, when the latter are all privately-owned corporations whose principal designers are still alive and active. Isn't that the crucial difference? Why on earth would yohji (or anyone for that matter) hire Julien MacDonald?! Anyway, Tao is 31 I think, so could only have been working for comme for 10 years at the absolute most; that doesn't seem an overly long period to be given your own label at CDG.

You take Belgium as an example of how the European approach to fashion design excells over Japan. In what sense though? Surely not becuase its established houses promote young designers from Asia or Africa or whereever? They too are all privately-owned enterprises where the principal is still active. I'm sure Mr Van Noten has had people working for him for years, and I've never heard of any of them, certainly not, at least, when they were workging for DVN. So what's the difference? It seems to be that, in fact, you do hear of them in Japan..... I would say that that is something to praise.

^ Ditto, Johhny:-) It is a different story when a founder still works at his/ her company and still onws it.

i think one of the differences btw the belgians and the japanese is really simple math..
comme makes enough money to be able to afford to support a new designer having their own brand...

and i really don't think most of the belgians do...

whatever it may seem on tFS..
in reality...those designers don't really make tons of money...
*though it is getting better for some ,with investors finally stepping up and allowing for growth -ie:margiela, demeulemeester...
generally for belgians, it's a small operation...
and the staff is a fraction of the size as well...
so the talent pool is proportionally smaller

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->