It's Great When You're Straight

IIRC Jess is the style editor... :ninja: Oh, well if she is reading she'll know not to do it again :wink:

All her articles can be read here if anyone's interested.

Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess@Mar 14th, 2004 - 7:05 am
no one is a natural blonde....

I am! I was born with really light blonde hair, and as I got older, it's now more like a strawberry blonde :P

Hmm...Does anyone else find this offensive? 
I'm speaking as a straight-haired, redheaded Jewish girl, of course...

I find it highly offensive. I am a straight haired blond Jewish girl, but still. Can't it just be a fro? Does it have to be called a Jewfro? Please! :rolleyes:
Exactly! It's so sad that although she's Jewish herself she's actually helping to spread misconceptions. We don't all look the same fyi! :angry:

By the way, I sincerely hope that she is aware of these reactions. Maybe then she'd learn to rethink her comments...

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 13th, 2004 - 5:35 pm
"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

I am really not liking that term... :unsure:
As I understand, it's a common term in NY and carries no pejorative energy there. The term was coined by Jewish women. I can understand that others who are new to it might be struck negatively by it.

Originally posted by tealady+Mar 14th, 2004 - 3:34 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Mar 14th, 2004 - 3:34 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Mar 13th, 2004 - 5:35 pm
"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

As I understand, it's a common term in NY and carries no pejorative energy there. The term was coined by Jewish women. I can understand that others who are new to it might be struck negatively by it. [/b][/quote]
Thanks Tea :heart:

I am feeling ashamed that I posted this . :unsure:

You have brought a sense of proportion , which makes me feel A LITTLE better . :sick:

My apologies purplelucretzia :heart:

I just thought it was an article by a young and naive journalist , trying to do a Mel Brooks ( and NOT really succeeding ) . :cry:

I will be more circumspect in my posts , in future . :blush:

KIT :(

Originally posted by tealady+Mar 14th, 2004 - 3:34 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Mar 14th, 2004 - 3:34 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Mar 13th, 2004 - 5:35 pm

As I understand, it's a common term in NY and carries no pejorative energy there. The term was coined by Jewish women. I can understand that others who are new to it might be struck negatively by it. [/b][/quote]
Regardless of whether it was a Jewish person who started this term, it's still wrong and disgusting :wink:

KIT-it's not your fault! All you did was post an article! As strawberry said, we don't shoot the messenger!

Yeah, Kit, it's totally not your fault that this goofy girl wrote a lame article that got published in a major newspaper! Heck, if anything you provided us with some entertainment/target-practice, since we have had the fine opportunity to shoot that article full of holes with our razor sharp arrows of wit. Or something.

My thanks to you ALL :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I feel much better . :blush:

KIT :innocent:

I'm a little confused.
Since when do all Jewish girls have dark brown curly hair?
I mean, i happen to....but I come from a family of straight haired blondes. ALL of them....my cousins, aunts, uncles,mother, everyone is blond. This article is a bit silly.
I actually straightened my hair only 3 times in my life and absolutly love it curly.

I think it's agreed then that this writer really has no idea what she is talking about... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->