Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S 2024 Paris

I love the first half. most of the pieces were a great mix of JPG references (some more obvious than others but worked to perfection) and Simone Rocha.

On the the second half there were some major flaws for me like the red red tulle dress (looked so cheap) and the one on Amelia Gray right after (so stuffed).

the crystal shoes were very camp but somehow enchanting and Kiki closing was beautiful!

I think I expected to like it more but it was good!

seems more mcqueen or pugh than jpg... wheres the tailoring and sexiness. really bold to open with that look and show all the construction faults of the look.

Last edited:
it's just so frou frou. half looks like like an audition for dior, the other half a gaultier pinterest board. this just isn't interesting or challenging. i agree that she should've looked at his mid 90s-early 2000s collections a little more. the whole cone bra and corset sh*t is getting stale fast.

but perhaps i'm giving her too much credit. simone rochas has never been an interesting designer.

It’s charming, it’s lovely and sweet but the allure is more Pret-A-Porter de Grand Luxe than Haute Couture…

What is so interesting is to see from seasons to seasons the gap in terms of technicality. All these designers are working with the same exact atelier and have access to the extreme best in terms of fabrics and execution! This is the ultimate proof for anyone who doubts that it’s all a matter of eye and vision.

Kirsten’s look is surprisingly my favorite.

Overall, it feels quite flat. I think the volumes should have been more extreme…

And the presentation was quite lackluster. I haven’t recovered from the brilliance of Haider’s collection.

It is alright. Does not seem transformative or fantasy-worthy enough to be couture, and lack refinement just a little. There are couture looks, but abouta half. The devil is in the details, and many of the presentations have too little to offer to be couture (construction-wise, adornment-wise, and etc.).

It's all a bit too beige and not in the sense of the colour.

It’s an ok collection but maybe I’m just biased because I have a soft spot for Simone. I just expected more. It doesn’t have the polish that I want to see in couture. The collection also felt a little homemade
Thank you! I was struggling to verbalise my feelings on this collection and you hit them right on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irere
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->