Jeanloup Sieff - Photographer

NouvelleVague

Reaction score
Because of suggestions from the inspiration thread: JeanLoup Sieff deserves a thread of his own. He was a French photographer, unfortunately died in 2000 at the age of 66. "Sieff took a while to find his place. He had brief stints at Elle and at Magnum, and left both without either having made any mark on him. A few great reportage series, notably on a miners' strike in Belgium in 1959, remain as witness to another kind of photographer that he might have become. But in the early 60s he found himself at the Jardin de Mode magazine with Frank Horvat and Helmut Newton, and suddenly fashion could be shot in real locations out on the streets - Sieff was in his element."

4088.jpg

jeanloupsieff0056lb.jpg

and my all time favorite photograph of his:
jeanloupsieff0010bq.jpg

:heart:thank you for the thread nouvelle vague!

here are some ballet pictures by sieff that i had saved some time ago:

one and two depict carolyn carlson

three clair motte...

some more:
-a dancing school
-sylvie guillem
-nurejev
-jl sieff himself

Wow, his work is amazing.
I've only heard very briefly of him before, but these pictures are great and I really need to look more into him now.

Thank you for starting the thread!

Edit: I really have a thing for the cigarette pic as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are welcome nouvelle vague!
ah, nico, there are more of this shooting! i did maybe post them somewhere in my nico thread...do you have them?

anna karina said:
ah, nico, there are more of this shooting! i did maybe post them somewhere in my nico thread...do you have them?

I've seen them but I can't find them. The JLS site is down and so is another where I've seen most of his work.

He is awesome...I love his 60s and 70s fashion mag stuff.

slightly off topic, has anyone seen cul de sac? i see a similar style..especially the main female in the movie..

Wow, I'm loving it. Esspecially the Palm Beach 1964 picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->