Joan Collins

welcome! :smile:

Joan Collins at Mr Chow (March 23)- CELEBUTOPIA.

^she ruinned it with the shoes lol. but wow.
thank u all! what an icon.♥

Joan Collins - 'Valentino: The Last Emperor' Los Angeles Premiere (April 1) - celebutopia.

Joan Collins @ Selfridges - 100th Birthday Party, 30 april 2009, celebutopia.

Joan Collins talks about the end of the 80's, speaking to The Times on Sunday 3 May:

20 years on: Joan Collins

The pay cheques were as big as the shoulder pads, but Dynasty had to end.

The writing was on the wall long before shoulder pads went into cold storage (“They’ll be back!”I foretold accurately, and indeed massive shoulders have been all the rage at the Paris couture shows.)

At the end of the 1980s, when ABC execs told me they could no longer afford to pay my exorbitant salary — which had finally matched John Forsythe’s [he played Blake Carrington] — and therefore I would henceforth only appear in half the episodes of the season, I knew the gig was up. Granted, I was making wheelbarrows of money by 1980s standards.

But John Forsythe appeared in almost every episode and made twice what I made.

Heaven forfend that being a woman had anything to do with this. It was commonly believed in many businesses that women were disposable. “But, Dynasty with less Alexis, surely that’s network suicide?” a friend predicted. Sadly, she was right. The ratings for Dynasty, which ended in 1989, dropped dramatically each week as the producers brought in different actors and ridiculous scenarios to fill the gap. Sometimes angry fans would accost me, demanding to know why I hardly featured in their favourite show, as if it were my fault.

I was sad about this but also resigned, certain in my knowledge that it would never last for ever. Dynasty had been a hit — the biggest show of the mid-1980s — and had brought me fame and fortune to a staggering degree, but I could see the decade that greed begot was limping towards its end. Besides, let’s face it — there’s only so much “I hate you, Blake, I hate you and I’ll make you pay for this” one actress can convincingly spit out before it becomes ludicrous.

The flashy outfits, the outsize bling and the lifestyles that so many had attempted to emulate were no longer stylish or chic. They quickly became tacky and démodé as the world turned more casual and grungy. The ’80s had been the “me” decade — greed, grab and graft conspicuously seemed the modus operandi, and nothing anyone did, however outrageous, seemed out of place or shocking.

It was the decade of Concorde, that gorgeous, sleek supersonic jet that whisked you between two continents in less than four hours. Breakfast in London, a quick lunch meeting in NY and back for dinner in Paris — high-flying businessmen revelled in this new-found time travel, as more time meant more money. The bull market soared, the financial wizards and brokers came into their own, trading billions with the insouciance of Michael Douglas in the film Wall Street and sowing the seeds of the hedge-fund phenomenon of the 1990s and the apocalypse that now ensues.

Mrs Thatcher and President Reagan epitomised the new prosperity — in the ’80s the American dream came true for many, while the UK saw a renaissance of the British dream, soon to turn into a nightmare.

It was one long spending spree, and not just for me. Everyone, it seemed, was doing a Viv Nicholson and wanting to spend, spend, spend! I am much more frugal now than I was then.

The clothes budget on Dynasty was astronomical. Every leading actress wore between three and seven bespoke outfits each week, and most of those gorgeously beaded and decorated evening gowns cost upwards of $7,000. Luckily for us, when we had to attend various industry red-carpet functions, the producers would kindly lend us these dresses to wear. But we always had to return them under the beady eye of one of the producer’s wives.

It was party season all year round in London, Los Angeles and the south of France, and I was invited to fabulous events from Milan to Marrakesh, all expenses paid. Of course, things were much less expensive then. A ready-to-wear Chanel suit cost around $2,000, while today it’s over $5,000. And lunches and dinners at glamorous restaurants were at least half what they are now (£9 for a bottle of Evian in some boîtes — so ridiculous!).

I was always good with money in two ways: earning it and spending it. Saving was unfortunately beyond my ken — and I had to keep on earning.

We had great times in the ’80s, and partied like it was 1999, but 2000 came around and the world started to change. The 1990s saw the end of individualist entrepreneurship — instead we entered the era of the bloated multinational, which only survived by merging, acquiring and morphing until finally it got so greedy it exploded in one large, resounding and very final crack.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article6210008.ece

^ interesting, thanks for that! :smile:

Joan Collins @ Nan Kempner: America chic exhibit reception (New York, 12 december 2006), celebutopia.

Joan Collins arriving at the Mayfair Hotel for Banksy's Coming For Dinner party in London, England (June 15) - celebutopia.

Photos from Life Magazine

c

c

c

c

A true icon - I admire her so much

Some vintage Joanie covers (image source - magforum.com:(

Picture Post - 11 September 1954
Film Review - March 1960
Span - month unknown 1962
66 - month unknown 1957

Attachments

• picturepost_1954sep11_coll.jpg
    picturepost_1954sep11_coll.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 6
  • film_review_1960mar_joan7.jpg
    film_review_1960mar_joan7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
  • span_102_collins_1962_big.jpg
    span_102_collins_1962_big.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 66_no12collins_big.jpg
    66_no12collins_big.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
^^I wish there was a bigger better image of her US Harper's Bazaar cover or the Vanity Fair one, thanks for those.

And a later cover, dated 7 July 1979 (image source - magforum.com:(

Attachments

• woman_1979jul700.jpg
    woman_1979jul700.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
Vanity Fair March 1998 (image source - weread.com/amazon.com:(

Attachments

• 51RvCQH2Q8L._SX500_.jpg
    51RvCQH2Q8L._SX500_.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
Annie Leibowitz comments on a shot she took of the two sisters (text/image source - telegraph.co.uk:(

"These are two of the world's great dames. Anytime you can get people into a car or an airplane for a picture, it's a great way to tell the story. I don't know if the sisters are friendly with each other any more, but they are not talking to each other in the picture, if you notice. Joan
looks like she is giving instructions to Annie.​

"The picture's very Eighties, with all the jewellery and the leopard skin. The Eighties was a real show and people with money or who were making a name for themselves weren't afraid to be part of it."

Attachments

• arts-graphics-2008_1131718a.jpg
    arts-graphics-2008_1131718a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"