Joan Collins

joancollins22.jpg

photos12

A recent interview in The Observer:

Glad to be grey

21 June 2009

Joan Collins is 76 - but she will hate seeing that in black and white. "Whenever I see it printed," she explains from the terrace of her home overlooking the bay of St Tropez, "I think it just can't be true, it's not right, it isn't me. I don't look my age, I don't feel my age and I don't act my age. To me age is just a number."

It's an understandable reaction. For many people, growing older is something that happens to them on the outside, not the inside. But these days our bodies seem to be staying younger for longer. Collins, for example, says she is just as active now as she was in her 40s. She has a trainer once or twice a week when she is in LA or London.

"We do pilates or stretching, not very stringent exercise," she says, "because I think that wears out the bones and sinews and muscles. The body is like a car: the older you become the more care you have to take care of it - and you don't leave a Ferrari out in the sun."

It obviously works. Collins is still considered one of the world's most glamorous actors, but she's not so naive as to think that her attractiveness is measured in the same way as it once was. "From the age of 17," she remembers, "I was a pin-up girl. I did it for 30 years and, quite frankly, it gets a bit boring."

Collins, who first signed to Rank Pictures in 1950, has always made the most of her sex appeal. She describes how she mussed up her hair and stuck twigs into it when she was filming The Bravados with Gregory Peck in 1958. This distressed the on-set hairdresser who, like the rest of Hollywood, expected all good actresses to have neat, uptight Grace Kelly dos. In the 1970s Collins starred in the film versions of her sister Jackie's bonkbusters, The b*tch and The Stud, and was unafraid to appear nude.

There came a time, however, when she decided to cover up for good. "When I did Playboy I was 49," she says, her accent a mix of 1950s Pinewood Studios and LA power lunch. "And I said, 'This is the last time I'm going to be photographed in a revealing pose.' I think that you just decide not to compete with the 21-year-olds, or even the 31-year-olds. There was a time when I posed in bikinis, a time when I posed in exotic lingerie - and then the time passes. It doesn't mean that I still don't wear a bathing suit by the beach, but other things take its place. Dressing well, for example, which is more important to me now."

Collins is synonymous with the classic, if sparkly, side of British style and feels let down by designers today. "I was in a few shops yesterday in St Tropez and I found the clothes impossible to wear unless you are a teenager or in your early 20s. If you are an older woman - and by that I mean 40 plus - there is nothing to wear unless you want to look like a drab old granny and you go to the old fuddy-duddy shops where everything is ankle length and floral print."

She cites the 1980s - the decade of her defining role, bitchy Alexis Carrington in the American soap opera, Dynasty - as the period with the most exciting fashion.

She's not unhappy now though. She has just finished filming a one-hour special for ITV called Joan Does Glamour, in which she uses her "knowledge of beauty, grooming, glamour and style to help three women get ready for particular events".

She also has a grounded attitude to success. "I've spent years when I've not been in the limelight at all and I'm perfectly happy living my life without being swooped on by paparazzi." But, she says, she's also been much more content since meeting her current husband, theatre director Percy Gibson, who is 32 years her junior. "We met in San Francisco when I was doing Love Letters in 2000," she explains "and he was the company manager. First we were friends, and we got together after nine or 10 months, then we married a year later. He is totally admired by my whole family. He is wonderful, kind, funny. We've just renewed our vows. I never think about the age difference at all. Well, we did at first, but it doesn't matter to anybody ... For us it's just not an issue."

And with that, Percy - who's listening to the interview - taps his watch and signals it's time to say goodbye.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jun/21/older-people-health-and-wellbeing

And that December 1983 Playboy (image source - justmensmags.com:(

Attachments

• justmensmags_2057_7821630.gif
    justmensmags_2057_7821630.gif
    161.4 KB · Views: 6
I don't think it came out quite right. Let me try this again....joan collins life cover 9-15-55 my scan.jpg

joan collins life evelyn nesbitt  9-12-55 my scan.jpg

joan collins & glenda farrell  life phs2  velvet swing 9-55 my scans.jpg

joan collins life stanny & thaw  from velvet swing 9-55 my scans.jpg

joan collins life red swinger 9-55 my scans.jpg Source: Life Magazine - Sept. 12, 1955 - my scan

ebay.com

:heart:

Attachments

• 000_0046.JPG
    000_0046.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 000_0045.JPG
    000_0045.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 000_0041.JPG
    000_0041.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 000_0040.JPG
    000_0040.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 000_0033.JPG
    000_0033.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 6
^^ wow, in a lot of those swim suit shots, I can see why she was deemed Britain's version of Liz Taylor, at least in the looks department.

Joan Collins @ Christopher Kane: London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2010 - Front Row (Sep 21, 2009) - celebutopia.

She's got a show on UK TV next week - "Joan Does Glamour" on ITV1, Tuesday October 13, 9pm - as she looks back on her life (dailymail.co.uk:(

How to be glamorous (like moi!) by Joan Collins

10th October 2009

Never will I forget walking into the cafeteria on the Fox studio lot in Los Angeles for lunch one day wearing blue jeans, a T-shirt and - believe it or not! - not a scrap of make-up.

It was 1955 and I had just been cast in my first Hollywood movie, The Girl In The Red Velvet Swing. The part had been intended for Marilyn Monroe, but she walked out of Fox and the role fell to me.

Aged 21, I - a young British actress - was to play the most beautiful girl in New York. As I walked through the cafe towards Richard Fleischer, the director of the movie, he saw me and he threw his hands in the air.

'Oh my God,' he said. 'I can't look at you. You look so hideous. You should always appear in public with full make-up, a nice dress and white gloves, otherwise you'll never get anywhere in this business.'

I must admit I was shocked. But when I was chatting to my girlfriends later, they told me that I did look a bit scruffy. Then Hedda Hopper, the leading gossip columnist of the day, wrote that 'Joan Collins looks like she combs her hair with an egg-beater', and I knew I had to do something.

That's when I decided that perhaps I'd better start smartening up my act. The thing is, you see, that no one is born glamorous, but anyone can acquire glamour.

But what is glamour? The clothes are important, of course. But, in the end, it isn't down to low-cut dresses and sequins and feather boas. It's to do with aura, with grooming, with self-possession - and with a touch of mystique.

I was lucky enough to have been a pretty baby, with lots of dark hair and big eyes, so I suppose I did look quite cute. When I was six months old, my mother put a sign on my pram which read: 'Please do not kiss me.'

I was 'discovered' while studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and was soon in demand as a photographic model. When I was 17, the Photographers' Association voted me the Most Beautiful Girl In Britain, something that amazed my father when he found out. Not terribly supportive!

In 1950, I was signed to the British film studio Rank and I played a succession of juvenile delinquents and hookers, none of them in the least glamorous.

The thing is, you see, that no one is born glamorous, but anyone can acquire glamour

But I would glam up for premieres, borrowing clothes from the studio and wearing their white mink stole. But, at home, I was more of a blue jeans and-tartan-shirt kind of a girl. My mother and my aunts, by contrast, were incredibly glamorous.

They wouldn't have dreamed of stepping outside the house without wearing make-up and their hair done. They would have considered it bad manners to do otherwise. But then the Forties and Fifties were intensely glamorous decades, probably as a reaction to the straitened times in which people lived.
Women looked up to movie stars such as Hedy Lamarr, Betty Grable and Joan Crawford, after whom I was named. The clothes they wore on screen were often more important than the films themselves.

I'd say from the Twenties to the Sixties, ordinary women would try the best they could to look like their favourite star. Then it all changed in the grungy Seventies, before glamour made a big comeback in the Eighties, helped in no small part by a certain television series called Dynasty.

By then I had a reputation as a woman who always made the best of herself, and who was determinedly glamorous. And that was something I learned in the school of hard knocks that was Hollywood in the Fifties.

After The Girl In The Red Velvet Swing, my next movie was The Opposite Sex with June Allyson and Leslie Nielsen. It was fantastically opulent, with fabulous clothes designed by Helen Rose. From that moment on - with the words of director Richard Fleischer still ringing in my ears - I began to get really interested in what I wore. And I've never looked back.

I invented a look with which I've stuck more or less ever since: big hair, smoky eyes and bright lipstick

I also had Marilyn Monroe's makeup man, Alan 'Whitey' Snyder, to show me how to apply my make-up properly. Just six years later, he was the person who was to make her up in her coffin.

I do my make-up now in ten minutes, faster and better, I admit, than anyone else. At the time I made The Stud and then The b*tch in the late Seventies, I invented a look with which I've stuck more or less ever since: big hair, smoky eyes and bright lipstick. My one infallible cosmetic tip? Always keep your eyebrow pencils as sharp as a pin.

So, when along came Dynasty and Alexis Carrington in the Eighties, her look was already in place - it was me! Initially, they tried to put me in little tweed jackets with pussycat bows, which just didn't work for the character.

Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Cardin were coming out with the big shoulder look, and that felt right for Alexis. It also caught the eye of Princess Diana, whose shoulder pads were sometimes bigger than mine.

My dear friend Nolan Miller had dressed everyone from Lana Turner to Betty Grable and Joan Crawford. Alexis was a woman of the world, someone familiar with couture shows. So, as the designer on Dynasty, Nolan and I would go to the department stores Saks and Neiman Marcus every Saturday and pull things off the rails that we liked.

I usually needed ten outfits a week for the show. In fact, there's an 11-minute clip on YouTube of me walking in and out of rooms, always in a different outfit. I wore more clothes than I can count. Alexis defined a decade that has become renowned for its unapologetic glamour. I suppose it defined me, too.

Joan Crawford once said: 'I feel I owe it to my public always to look good. When you're young, you can get away with the careless, ungroomed look. But not to bother with grooming over the age of 40 is a mistake.'

When you look at programmes such as Jeremy Kyle today, you wonder what the world is coming to. Those women could get a little glamour in their lives, although it would be a bit of a challenge for the ones who are very overweight.

You might think it's easy for me to say all this as a Hollywood star, but believe me every woman has it in them to look fantastic. Not so long ago, I toured the UK with my one-woman show. Everywhere I went, women would come up to me and tell me they loved the way I dressed. But how could they look good on a budget, they asked me.

That gave me an idea. So I got together with a production company and we placed an advert in the national press asking for three generations of women from the same family to get in touch if they'd like to have a bit of glamour put into their lives.

We were swamped with applications, eventually choosing the Littlefair family from Plymouth: grandmother Eileen, mum Mary and teenage daughter Holli. I genuinely liked these women and wanted to help them.

I discovered long ago that, if you look good, you feel good. Don't believe any woman who says she doesn't like a compliment. I love it if I'm walking through a store or I'm in a restaurant and someone says I look great. It lifts your spirits.

Not long ago, I had a heavy cold and cough - most unlike me - and I looked like the wrath of God. I'd catch sight of myself in the mirror, slopping around bare-faced in a dressing gown, my hair a mess - and it made me feel even worse. After three days at home, I had to go out for several appointments. And, as I put on my face and stepped into a glamorous outfit, I could feel myself getting better.

So the message is clear, girls. Glamour really is good for you.

Attachments

• article-1219350-06C4B9C6000005DC-196_233x741.jpg
    article-1219350-06C4B9C6000005DC-196_233x741.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 6
  • article-0-0433615B000005DC-591_224x643.jpg
    article-0-0433615B000005DC-591_224x643.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
  • article-0-037F74CC000005DC-469_224x643.jpg
    article-0-037F74CC000005DC-469_224x643.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7
  • article-1219350-04BFB2D4000005DC-550_468x807.jpg
    article-1219350-04BFB2D4000005DC-550_468x807.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 5
And she also casts her eye over her own "style queens":

There have been many glamorous women, both in public life and in show business, over the past hundred years or so. Here's my choice of the dozen most drop-dead gorgeous.

THE DUCHESS OF WINDSOR (born 1896:( Quite severe, tiny and actually quite plain, but the American-born Wallis Simpson wore exquisitely tailored clothes and carried herself with such dignity and style.

MARLENE DIETRICH (born 1901:( A complete original and the epitome of Thirties glamour. Not necessarily the most beautiful woman of her time, but she always wore superb clothes and had the best possible lighting. She was still enthralling audiences with her nightclub act in her 80s.

VIVIEN LEIGH (born 1913:( An exquisite beauty - the most beautiful of her age - she was a great actress who knew how to dress well.

RITA HAYWORTH (born 1918:( In Gilda, in that black satin strapless dress and the black satin gloves and that shock of gorgeous red hair, she defined Forties glamour.

AVA GARDNER (born 1922:( The Press dubbed her 'The most beautiful animal in the world'. With her feline green eyes, fantastic body and sensational love life, she was my glamour icon!

JACKIE KENNEDY ONASSIS (born 1929:( The epitome of American class and elegance. Everyone copied her style, me included. I simply adored everything she wore.

GRACE KELLY (born 1929:( She was glamorous in an incredibly ladylike, East Coast kind of a way, a woman who looked sensational in a twin set and pearls with that beautiful halo of blonde hair.

ELIZABETH TAYLOR (born 1932:( A true beauty who enthralled the world with her chequered love life and violet eyes.

MARILYN MONROE (born 1926:( That hair! That face! That body! She positively glowed. She didn't dress very glamorously off-screen, but here was a woman who looked glamorous even in the nude. She still looks modern today in photographs from the Fifties and Sixties.

AUDREY HEPBURN (born 1929) Usually dressed by Givenchy, she was the last word in understated elegance with a beautiful voice and manners to match, an icon who is admired and emulated by the youth of today.

PRINCESS DIANA (born 1961:( No one else came close to her at the time. She was the most glamorous woman in the world in the late 20th century, with great hair, beautiful eyes and an amazing wardrobe. I copied a lot of it!

CHERYL COLE (born 1983:(She slightly reminds me of myself, with the big hair, smoky eyes and the full-on red lipstick. The camera just loves her.

The Guardian has put together a few classic shots, including Joan at Heathrow in 1989 with her stack of Vuitton luggage (guardian.co.uk:(

Attachments

• Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-003.jpg
    Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-008.jpg
    Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-008.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-007.jpg
    Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-007.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-009.jpg
    Joan-Collins-style-icon-J-009.jpg