Joe Fresh Style - From the creator of Club Monaco

Continued
lorealfashionweek.ca

GPM_4973.jpg
GPM_4957.jpg

here are some spring images from the runway show (yahoo news)

Attachments

• fresh.jpg
    fresh.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 3
  • fresh2.jpg
    fresh2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
  • fresh3.jpg
    fresh3.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
I always found Club to be cheap quality too....then again you get what you pay for :unsure:

Well Club Monaco is hardly cheap. Especially for a mall store. Their prices are around the BR level. Compared to Hermes, okay, not so expensive but I wouldn't call them cheap. Never found a problem with CM's quality or the Joe Fresh style. I wear my striped shirt a lot, and love it.

Well Club Monaco is hardly cheap. Especially for a mall store. Their prices are around the BR level. Compared to Hermes, okay, not so expensive but I wouldn't call them cheap. Never found a problem with CM's quality or the Joe Fresh style. I wear my striped shirt a lot, and love it.

I only found it to be cheap because coming from Australia the items they were selling were way cheaper than anything we had going in the same category here. Eg. jeans for under $100. So I think it's a great place to stock up on a budget :flower:
I worked there when I was staying in Canada and I guess unpacking and looking at the items everyday and inspecting them, I just found the quality wasn't the best.

Whatttt no way! those runway pictures look nothing like what you see in the stores hahah
Maybe I should pay a visit.

didn't katherine hamnett originate this idea in britain? i think she was the first to introduce fashion wear at supermarket chain tesco's,non?

Joe Runway Show for Spring 2009
lorealfashionweek.ca

17.jpg
16.jpg

13.jpg
10.jpg

^
when were their jeans under $100? I thought they retailed around the 110 mark or so. Which again, for a Canadian mall store, is more high end. From the stuff I look at, most of it seems retail between $120 - 250 or so.

No Scott, Katherine Hamnett was the first to try and do "cheap ethical" clothing in a supermarket chain store. Tesco's/Sainsburys/etc. have been carrying clothes for a long time.

I think the new stuff looks cute.

Their tights are pretty good! I have them in navy, green and purple. I also bought a pair of elbow-length knitted gloves but they're becoming fuzzy and worn-out looking already.

The Spring 09 are very CNC by Costume National to me...especially the outfit with the sleeveless anorak and patent sandals..

Anyone find it interesting that Joseph Mimran is married to Pink Tartan's Kimberly Newport-Mimran? Budget Luxe meets department store fashion.

I luuuurve the line!! Here on the W. coast we have a severe lack of cheap-fashiony stores (no Forever 21, one H&M in Vancouver), and this kind of fills that gap. Most of the stuff is really basic but every season they have a few really nice pieces. I find the bags extremely cheap-looking but stuff like shirts and some dresses and outerwear is not so bad for the price. It's definitely more "designed" than anything else I could get for that money. There's a really cute Chanel-looking jacket in stores now. The fabric is pretty good and it's fully lined, AND the buttons don't suck.
Also I just found a Joe makeup and accessories display at my Superstore!!

^
Didn't know they were married.

I got an awesome Joe Fresh blazer about two weeks after rifling through the clearance section. it's kind of shrunken, navy, with hand stitching effect around the lapels, cuffs, etc. and comes with military inspired buttons and faux elbow patches (the same fabric/color as the rest of the jacket). I paid $9.97 for it. Crazy. it had been marked down from it's original price of 59.99. No tears, marks, anything. I love it. The buttons weren't sewn on that well, but I can fix them fine.

Too monochrome! But I looooove the transparent top and the dress around 2:00.

So I thought this whole issue might make a few of us more fashioney types chuckle:

Apparently there was a Joe Fresh underwear flyer sent out a couple of weeks ago that included the images in the article below. People were so shocked and appalled by the "sexualized" poses and "underaged" models that they complained loudly enough for the flier to be pulled. The writer below even suggests that the ads are almost child p*rn, despite the fact that Loblaws states the models were all above 21 years of age.

No excuse for ads that verge on child p*rn

Lindor Reynolds
7/04/2009 1:00 AM

joe2.jpg
joe1.jpg

Would you like a little cheesecake with that celery?
Loblaw's Real Canadian Superstores are bagging their own apologies after a nationwide distribution of a flyer advertising its Joe Fresh underwear line.
The problem wasn't the bras, panties and tank tops being sold at the grocery chain. It was the fact that the models, all of them sporting fresh-from-the-bed, tousled hair and come-hither looks, appear to be in their early teens.
One model, shot splay-legged in a bra and panties, looks to be at the very start of puberty.
Loblaw insists the models are all at least 21.
Still, the company quickly agreed to yank the campaign from stores last week, following complaints from Canadian shoppers and others who received the flyer with their newspapers.
The Winnipeg Free Press distributed the flyer as part of a package of advertising inserts.
"We understand that our creative made some of our customers uncomfortable and we are addressing that now," wrote Julija Hunter, senior director of corporate affairs in an email response to questions about the campaign.
"The 'Underthings' flyer was the first one created for our Joe Fresh Intimates line. We apologize for any concern that this flyer may have caused to our customers; we value customer feedback."
One of those who complained was Dr. Jennifer Frain, executive director of New Directions, a local group that works with girls and women (including prepubescent children) who have been exploited in the sex trade.
"Given the increasing number of reports of the sexual exploitation of children and women reported in the Winnipeg Free Press and elsewhere I am really disheartened by this type of advertising and the messages.
"It communicates to young girls themselves and to society at large that young puberty-aged girls are to be valued for what they look like; their sexual appeal," she wrote. "It suggests that considering young girls to be sexual objects is OK in mainstream media."
When we spoke Monday, Frain said she applauds the grocery chain's decision to pull the campaign. She just wonders why Loblaw thought it was a good idea in the first place.
Winnipegger Arlene Elendiuk also contacted Loblaw to protest the advertisement. The mother and grandmother said she objected to what appeared to be children being shot in provocative poses in front of a mattress.
"If in fact the target market for these 'underthings' is young teens, then the ad campaign should have been done in a much more tasteful, respectful way and age-appropriate way," she said. "Young girls wear underwear. That's fine. But why not show them in different surroundings, like a sleepover at their friend's house? Save the suggestive poses and Lolita-like 'come hither' looks for p*rn magazines."
Some of you will still believe this is an overreaction, that the people who protested the presumed age of the models need to lighten up. But surely you'd agree it's disturbing a store would use a picture of a model who appears to be so early in her development that her bra is too big for her nascent breasts.
This is verging on kiddie p*rn.
Arguing that the models are actually women over the age of 21 doesn't carry a lot of weight. Victoria's Secret and La Senza also advertise lingerie and they don't feel the need to use models who clearly look underage.
The choice to use these young women was deliberate. It's part of a continuum of the sexualization of our children, a process that is beginning earlier and earlier.
Good for Loblaw for pulling the campaign. Kudos to average citizens who protested the images and the message behind them.
But here's something to ponder: If a mainstream grocery store thought these pictures were acceptable, should we really be surprised that some perverts look at children and see potential sex partners?
[email protected]

source: winnipegfreepress.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to add: I'm extremely averse to the use of women's bodies to sell stuff (sports cars, lawn fertilizer [I kid you not, I saw it with my own eyes], poker, etc...). But what other way is there to sell underclothing???

I mean, maybe if I saw the images HQ I might understand more (and to be fair, one of them is kind of a crotch-shot) but these girls don't look under 21 at all. Some people. I wont what they would think of Tom Ford's ads?!

Finally got a chance to look at the Joe fresh line today.. some really cute things ! i bought a black tee with rosettes stitched on and a buffalo print [is that what it's called ?] shirt dress.. both lovely. :heart: Wish i had checked it out during the summer, i have a friend who wore one adorable piece after another all summer long and most of it was Joe..:lol:

anyway, I wasn't disappointed.. sure some things look 'cheap' but no different to H&M, for example, and there's a lot where the quality isn't visibly poor.. of course you're probably not going to be wearing the same pieces in 20 years but then again that isn't what this is for. ^_^

i think it's a great idea....I hope they continue..:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->