John Elkann

Source: Repubblica, Sports.it, Lastampa.it, mitoalfaromeo.com, princeofwales.gov.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Sources: Italiaoggi.com, rp-online.de, e-driver.com

Sources: TGCOM and technospace.net
first one is HQ

John is a father!!!!

(Source: AP via yahoo news)

(tecnospace.net)

Lavinia Borroneo Elkann, John's wife, gave birth to a boy on 27 August 2006.

http://www.timesbeacon.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060828/ENT/60828001
Celebrity Buzz
Posted by the Ocean County Observer on 08/28/06

It's a boy, Fiat's John Elkann boasts
John Elkann, vice chairman of Fiat, is the father of a boy.

Elkann's wife, Lavina Borromeo, gave birth early Sunday at a hospital in Turino, Italy, said John Elkann's father, the writer and journalist Alain Elkann.

"I got the call this morning. It's beautiful news, I'm very happy," said Alain Elkann, who was rushing to Turino to see his grandson from the mountain resort of Cortina.

It is the first child of John Elkann, who is the great-great-grandson of Fiat founder Giovanni Agnelli.

The Agnelli family has fascinated Italians for decades and has often been compared to the royal family in Britain and the Kennedys in the United States.

Giovanni Agnelli founded Fiat in 1899. His grandson, Giovanni "Gianni" Agnelli, was chairman from 1966 until his death in January 2003, and was credited with transforming the Turino automaker into a conglomerate with interests from steel to chemicals to newspapers.

John Elkann is being groomed to take over the auto giant, Italy's largest non-state company.

He is gorgeous but his wife...ehhh.

They just had a son this week so congrats to them.

This was originally posted by me at the Lapo Elkann thread, but it's about John, so since there is now a thread for John...well, I am thinking it's appropriate to post the article here.
Copyright 2006 Associated Press
All Rights Reserved
Associated Press Financial Wire
June 26, 2006 Monday 1:19 PM GMT
SECTION: BUSINESS NEWS
LENGTH: 1440 words
HEADLINE: All in the Fiat family: Agnelli heir aims to reinvigorate legacy
BYLINE: By GABRIEL KAHN, The Wall Street Journal

TURIN, Italy John Elkann is heir apparent of the Agnelli family, one of Europe's most-storied industrial dynasties. The 30-year-old grandson of the late Gianni Agnelli, he holds the title of vice chairman of the Fiat group, maker of such items as Ferraris and farm equipment. Like his grandfather and great uncle, he married a noblewoman.

But as Mr. Elkann is poised to move into the driver's seat at the 107-year-old icon, the European model of family capitalism espoused by his clan is struggling to endure. Financial markets have become impatient with family-dominated companies, which sometimes put dynastic interests first and occasionally have murky corporate-governance practices. There is also increased skepticism that companies controlled by Europe's grand families can produce top-flight managers.

Over lunch at the headquarters of IFIL SpA, the Agnelli family holding company of which he is also vice chairman, Mr. Elkann brushes aside these concerns, insisting instead that the family's role at Fiat, founded by his great-great grandfather, has historically brought great benefits to the company. "As a family we have always seen it as our role to guarantee stability for Fiat. That's what my grandfather tried to do."

Yet the question of how much power families should exert is a pressing one in Europe. According to Guido Corbetta, a professor specializing in family-business strategy at Milan's Bocconi University, about 40 percent of companies on the continent have passed control from one generation of family managers to another. On the Italian stock market, more than 60 percent of all publicly traded companies are controlled by families.

Some families are determined to stick with the old model. Hermes International Chief Executive Patrick Thomas, appointed earlier this year as the first nonfamily member to head the French luxury-fashion house, is running the company until a family member from the next generation is ready to take over. Francois-Henri Pinault, chairman of French retail and fashion conglomerate PPR SA, last year took over at the company his father, Francois Pinault, founded.

Others are cutting the umbilical cord. The chairman of Luxottica Group SpA, the Milan eyewear maker, last year passed over his son to name an outsider as chief executive. At French tire maker Michelin SA, it is unclear what role the members of the founding family will play in the company after the sudden death in a boating accident last month of fourth-generation manager Edouard Michelin.

At Fiat, as financial troubles have created pressures in the marketplace, Mr. Elkann is committed to maintaining the family legacy. The Agnellis own 30 percent of the Fiat group through IFIL.

Soft-spoken and reserved, Mr. Elkann exudes little of the flair for which his grandfather was famous. "The important thing I have learned from my grandfather is to be able to adapt to the times you live in," he says. Toward that end, he says he has responded to calls for greater transparency by opening up Fiat's board to more outside directors and creating clearer lines of responsibility.

Historically, the heads of industrial families, such as Mr. Elkann's grandfather or Reinhard Mohn of Bertelsmann AG publishing group in Germany, never had to confront those issues. Their prominent role in society made them guarantors of a sort of social compact with governments and workers. Investment might be directed to a certain area or a factory spared in order to maintain their social standing.

Some argue that the model has served Europe poorly. "The sooner we get rid of family capitalism the better off we all are," says Umberto Mosetti, a corporate-governance expert at the University of Siena and president of shareholder adviser Deminor.

When markets were regional, says Mr. Mosetti, families could finance their businesses through cash flow and loans from friendly local banks. As markets went global, large companies needed to go to capital markets to fuel expansion. Family-controlled firms were often ill-prepared. Something similar happened at Fiat. When competitors from Asia entered the European market, Fiat was caught flat-footed and lost market share; it has been trying to recover ever since.

Mr. Mosetti says family capitalism often breeds complicated ownership schemes. The Agnelli family maintains control of Fiat through three separate holding companies. Mr. Mosetti argues that these arrangements often lead to poor corporate governance which can make it more difficult to attract outside capital to finance expansion.

In the Agnelli family tradition, Mr. Elkann, after early schooling in Paris, studied engineering in the company's home town of Turin. During the summers, he was rotated through different Fiat business units, and discreetly clocked time on the assembly line, where most factory workers didn't realize that they were laboring alongside the heir. As a young graduate, he spent several years honing his business skills at General Electric Co., where he crossed paths with the legendary chairman, Jack Welch.

When Mr. Elkann rejoined the family business in 2002, at age 26, Fiat was facing its greatest crisis. "I'd say there was a certain sense of responsibility in that I thought I needed to go back to see if I could help out," he says. His grandfather, considered the public face of Fiat at age 81, died several months later. A consortium of banks put together a $3.76 billion convertible loan to keep the company afloat.

Mr. Elkann threw himself into the unpleasant business of selling a portfolio of assets that his family had spent years assembling. "It was tough, very tough," he recalls. Among the properties that the family sold off were stakes in Club Med, legendary French winery Chateau Margaux, and the La Rinascente SpA department-store chain. Fiat sold its financing arm, an insurance company and other noncore assets.

Mr. Elkann says he was too busy to worry whether Fiat would pull through. "I was 26 years old. Under these circumstances you don't really ask yourself that kind of question. You spend little time asking yourself questions," he says. "You just concentrate on doing your best in a difficult situation."

With Fiat on the ropes, the family decided to invest $313 million of its own money in a capital increase. More than three years later, Fiat is in the midst of a convincing turnaround led by independent-minded Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne. Like Mr. Marchionne, CEOs at Fiat traditionally have been nonfamily members, usually reporting to Agnelli-family chairmen. Fiat's current chairman is Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, a longtime Agnelli family loyalist and chairman of Ferrari and Italy's powerful business lobby, Confindustria.

As Mr. Elkann assumes the leadership role within the family, he is aware that the Agnellis no longer hold the unassailable status they once did. He is trying to clean up a match-fixing scandal involving Juventus Football Club SpA, the family's successful soccer team. Prosecutors allege that Juventus executives repeatedly conditioned referees to give the team favorable treatment. Team officials say they are cooperating with authorities.

Mr. Elkann led the appointment of a board and management at the club, as well as ethical guidelines. "The family image is very much linked to Juventus, and so it was very important to address it," he says.

The match-fixing scandal is the latest of several episodes that have brought the clan unwanted attention. Last year, Mr. Elkann's younger brother, Lapo, who had been serving as an executive at Fiat Auto, survived a drug overdose at the apartment of a transvestite, a story that dominated Italian newspaper headlines for days. Mr. Elkann declined to comment on the episode.

Mr. Elkann led the appointment of a new board and management at the club, as well as new ethical guidelines. "The family image is very much linked to Juventus, and so it was very important to address it," he says.

Prosecutors in Turin have opened a probe into possible insider trading regarding a complicated equity swap performed by several Agnelli-controlled companies. The swap allowed IFIL to purchase Fiat shares at a favorable price and thereby maintain the family's 30 percent stake, which had risked being diluted by a capital increase. No charges have been filed. Mr. Elkann says the share purchase "is intended as a clear vote of confidence in the Fiat management and its plans."

These incidents have thrust Mr. Elkann more into public eye. He concedes he is uncomfortable in assuming the high-profile role that his grandfather played for so many years. "I mean, I'm 30 years old," he says. "Respect is earned, not inherited."

His wedding

Source: www.hellomagazine.com
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2004/09/07/fiatwedding/
7 SEPTEMBER 2004
One of Italy's most eligible bachelors is no longer on the market - Fiat heir John Elkann has tied the knot with his stylist girlfriend Lavinia Borromeo.

The happy couple made their vows on a tiny island in Lake Maggiore which has belonged to the bride's family for centuries. Around 60 close friends and loved ones came to see Lavinia, who wore a classic Valentino gown with a long train, walk down the aisle with her millionaire beau.

The wedding reception was a more sumptuous affair, with a who's who of Italian society in attendance. Among the invitees were Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, racing champion Michael Schumacher, American politician Henry Kissinger and supermodels Carla Bruni and Elle Macpherson.

At the age of just 28, John is being groomed to take over the car manufacturing giant which was founded by his grandfather Giovanni Agnelli. His bride meanwhile comes from one of Italy's wealthiest and most-established families. The origins of the Borromeo dynasty can be traced back to medieval times.

Source: polfoto.dk
27y0nxi.jpg

27y0ob6.jpg

27y0pow.jpg

27y0q34.jpg

27y0qcg.jpg

27y0r3t.jpg

27y0rbb.jpg

27y0rjd.jpg

27y0t3k.jpg

27y0tgl.jpg

Source: hola.com

eternitygoddess said:
He is gorgeous but his wife...ehhh.

They just had a son this week so congrats to them.

I think this baby of theirs is Gianni Agnelli's first great--grandson, right?
About Lavinia, I think John married her because his family wanted the marriage. I'm sure they like each other well enough, but the marriage has too many kudos to be just for love. She is from an old Italian aristocratic family and her family own islands in Lake Maggiore where they had their wedding. They also own a palazzo in the same locale. I honestly think it was more of a business arrangement than a union of love. :(
By the way, did you notice that rock on her finger?!:o

I am not sure what to think of his wife's wedding gown: http://i5.tinypic.com/27y0qcg.jpg (it is a Valentino; picture from polfoto). I have to agree with Eternitygoddess that she is not very attractive. I don't think I like the dress.

Pics from Corbis

John in 1997, still a schoolboy!

He shows Prince Charles a Ferrari at the Fiat museum. Does Charles look impressed? This car might pale in comparison to his vintage Aston Martin!:P

I wasn't sure about adding these but now I see they haven't been posted so here they are (Corbis again)

I remmember seen the pics of their wedding!!!!! It was a wedding from a fairy tale!!! a lovely place(the island) and the lovely bride and groom.
Actually Lavinia is really cute, but not very photogenic.
I believe they have been like 6 years toghether before marrying.
So cute!!!

Source:cronaca

elkann_jaki_lavinia_inf--200x150.jpg

from olycom these are from the beautifull island where they got married:
000007w5gu.jpg
000009w1gb.jpg
000016w0te.jpg
000017w8hw.jpg
000018w4qg.jpg

000020w2ac.jpg

some more from the wedding via Olympia:

19707_prewedding_ball_598lo.jpg
19727_couple_527lo.jpg
19758_couple_5_393lo.jpg
19734_couple3_319lo.jpg

her dress was gorgeous!the pics came from a personal album from an user from theroyalforums
ValentinowiththebrideLaviniaBorromeo2004.jpg

LaviniaBorromeowithweddingguests2004.jpg
JohnElkannLaviniaBorromeoPremierSilvioBerlusconiandtwoboys2004.jpg
GroupWeddingPhototwo2004.jpg
WeddingcakeforLaviniaBorromeoandJohnElkann2004.jpg
RicethrownatRoyalweddingcouple2004.jpg
Royalweddingcouple2004.jpg
JohnElkannandLaviniaBorromeoholdinghands2004Wedding.jpg
JohnElkannLaviniaBorromeoandweddingguests2004.jpg
CarloFerdinandoBorromeowalkinghisdaughterdowntheweddingaisle2004.jpg

Pink Addiction, thank you. Those photos are beautiful but they confirm for me that I do not like Lavinia's wedding gown. That Borromeo palazzo where they had the wedding is fantastic.....and the wedding cake with the unicorn! My god! It says the cake was a replica of the Lingotto with "the Borromeo unicorn." Do the Borromeo family have a coat of arms or something that has a unicorn in it?

Here is Lavinia's sister's wedding gown (I like this a lot). Her name is Isabella.

(gossipnews.it)
More from olycom:

Lavinia designs handbags. Here is a pic of her and sister Beatrice, with Beatrice having one of Lavinia's bags, called "LaVie"

(olycom)

With his uncle the late Umberto Agnelli
(hola)
and other pics, same source

In the last pic, I think the old woman is Gianni's widow, Marella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->