zimbio

Elle France 10th April 2015: Julia Restoin Roitfeld By Pamela Hanson

Stylist: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Guillaume Bérard
Make-up: Topolino
Manicure: Huberte Cesarion
Article: Sophie Gachet

Source: imcmagazine.com

We’ll admit it: as the months (and years...) pass, we look in the mirror and start to get the whole, “You look like sisters!” when you’re with your mother. It’s in the face and the hair… But it’s also in the clothes. We look in the mirror and see a knubbly sweater and mom jeans. (Of course, it doesn’t help that your maternal figure’s early motherhood uniform is now the height of normcore.) It can be, well, a little prophesy fulfilling and the teeniest bit depressing. Then again, it’s not so bad for all mother-daughter pairs—especially when the mother in question is most commonly known for wearing Givenchy pencil skirts and Alaïa lace-up stilettos and how you spent your childhood as the professional counterpart and muse to Tom Ford. We mean, if all women eventually turn into their mothers, Julia Restoin Roitfeld doesn’t exactly have the worst outlook ever. (Okay, if you’re still wondering, Google image search Carine Roitfeld. See?!)

Let’s just say that when Restoin Roitfeld invited us over to play with a season’s worth of Bloomingdale's goodies, we prepared ourselves for the ultimate lesson in urban, Paris-inflected dressing. “My daughter calls me Maleficent because I dress all in black,” she laughed as we pawed through her decidedly neutral selection. Then again, when it comes to an affinity for neutrals, we’re guessing baby Romy won’t be far behind mom—like mother, like daughter, remember?

If we’ve been watching Restoin Roitfeld’s choice public outing looks over the years via the likes of Style.com and BFA (read: we have), we kind of already knew that girl knows how to wear an LBD—it’s her uniform, she admitted to us. Yet, every time, she manages to make it cool and unabashedly sexy every time. And that whole vibe? It obviously comes completely naturally to the New York-transplant, because, whether wearing a cropped faux fur jacket and skinny jeans, or a mannish shirt with a short leather skirt and thigh-high boots, that uniquely French joie de vivre and straight up seduction came through every time. Carine would totally approve.
thecoveteur.com
x6izwk.jpg

24odaw0.jpg

“My go-to everyday uniform is a mini black dress with black stockinga in winter and bare legs in summer. For shoes, depending on my errands that day, little short-heeled stilettos or my Stuart Weitzman thigh-high boots that are really comfortable to run around in all day. It’s New York—I’m always on the run!”
30xkgug.jpg

ig9q3c.jpg

“[My fashion motto in three words is to] learn what fits you. It’s 4 words, but…”
eb50ky.jpg

dbgpe1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
v7x8w.jpg

“Ballet Beautiful is my favorite exercise class, because you don’t sweat so you can go straight into your meeting after. And the outfit is cute so you can run around in your ballet outfit all day after.”
a4bjup.jpg

3589d8m.jpg

8x8yds.jpg

2h825o7.jpg

“[My favorite foods are] sushi, pizza and pasta. Why not?! Even for breakfast, all together.”
f1e6aw.jpg

5fhxlv.jpg

“I was just in Bahamas, so that was one of my dream destinations. I would love to go skiing somewhere I’ve never been, like Japan.”

vzf18l.jpg

“A French [icon I love is] Serge Gainsbourg—I mean, you can’t escape from it. And for English speaking, I love Fleetwood Mac and I love Kate Bush… very dreamy, hippy music.”
2cwwebc.jpg

“[My favorite fashion indulgence is] shoes. Never too many shoes!”
ohi7nm.jpg

2v3n1n9.jpg

2dhz1h5.jpg

Hair up or down? “Hair down.”
Sweet or savory? “Savory—pizza!”
Pizza or burger? “Pizza.”
ru4g0n.jpg

o5vssi.jpg

Heels or flats? “Heels.”
Jeans or dresses? “Dresses.”