JW Anderson F/W 2024.25 London

JWAnderson is a brand I love. In terms of pure products, it’s one of my favorite brands. Every season, I go back to the shirts and knitwear. I do love their bags too but in terms of shirting when it comes to designers, it’s all about JWA and CDG shirts.

That being said, I think the excitement I have as a customer going to the store in London or shopping online, is dying in terms of fashion.

I feel like every season, there’s even more a division between Loewe and JWA. Loewe can give you fashion, a moment and good clothes. JWA is a parade of declinations of 3/4 silhouettes and yet nothing to grab in it. It’s somehow consistent but it’s also very poor…

This could have been presented as a lookbook. And it’s the same thing for the previous seasons.
Fashion is an intention and there’s a lack of intention in this.

Yes this is def like only 3/4 looks stretched paper thin. It feels like JWA doesnt have the bandwidth and is prioritizing Loewe over his own label.

… JG was like this when he was at Dior. Often his own line was only a handful of looks presented in many different colors and embellishments.

Makes me excited for Loewe once again. Actually one of his best for his own brand. Chic and imaginative, feels like his early work. Enjoyed all of it, but especially the boob tassel dresses and ensembles that looked like megasized knits. Also dark short trench jacket with the long sleeves was great.

What can I say
I'm obsessed 😌

Yeah, I couldn’t agree more. His brand feels like the blueprint/initial ideas he won’t have enough time to develop, so he dedicates his bandwidth with Loewe.

I appreciate some silhouettes and propositions, but the color palette feels flat.

JW Anderson is a designer I DON NOT love. I swear, I made an effort in the past to find reasons to, but I gave up eventually.
His creative approach is shallow, despite his faux-intellectual inclinations, and people get easily carried away by his undeniable skills in wrapping things up nicely as an art-director: because this is what he basically is, certainly not a designer.
His technical skills are limited and his collections under his eponymous label are mostly made of basic items zhuzhed up with silly details or prints. The reasons why it looks like he's making more of an effort at Loewe is that he's got more expertise and better materials to work with over there. But the collections, as of recently, are still made up of the same three or four looks repeated in turn ad nauseam.
I said it already but it's worth repeating: his success and fame are mostly due to his extreme ambition and, above all, the luck in being working in the most creatively depleted era in the history of fashion. Nobody would have taken him seriously if he had been around in the 90s and his work had to be confronted with the likes of Margiela and Lang.
We are soo hungry for new ideas that we end up seeing genius where there's none.

How fun and cozy this all feels. Very enjoyable collection. That leather bomber is fabulous, as are the bags and all the knitwear. Very much a hygge type collection, from the footwear on up.

Shorts in the fall...sign of the times.

JW Anderson is a designer I DON NOT love. I swear, I made an effort in the past to find reasons to, but I gave up eventually.
His creative approach is shallow, despite his faux-intellectual inclinations, and people get easily carried away by his undeniable skills in wrapping things up nicely as an art-director: because this is what he basically is, certainly not a designer.
His technical skills are limited and his collections under his eponymous label are mostly made of basic items zhuzhed up with silly details or prints. The reasons why it looks like he's making more of an effort at Loewe is that he's got more expertise and better materials to work with over there. But the collections, as of recently, are still made up of the same three or four looks repeated in turn ad nauseam.
I said it already but it's worth repeating: his success and fame are mostly due to his extreme ambition and, above all, the luck in being working in the most creatively depleted era in the history of fashion. Nobody would have taken him seriously if he had been around in the 90s and his work had to be confronted with the likes of Margiela and Lang.
We are soo hungry for new ideas that we end up seeing genius where there's none.
This !!!

ate and left no crumbs

For me it was a really well executed show. It's repetitive as always, but at least Anderson still has that playful side in his work. It left me curious and I wonder how they're going to translate the coats to be more customer-friendly. The knitwear is also great, but at this point it's kind of expected from this label, they're usually strong in that division. That said, the main inspiration sounds like something Christopher Kane would have used for his collection.

Ooof, rough crowd here. I wonder if the collections would have more depths if they combine their man/woman shows, and perhaps reduce the efforts they spent on collaborations each season (though prolly necessary financially for them and for reaching a wider audience).

Reminds me of a Project Runway challenge from years ago...the designers had to go to a supermarket; and try to improvise clothes made of what they could find there.

The problem here is that Johnny did not care to go to a supermarket. It looks like he "created" everything between coffee breaks from his job at Loewe, using anything his assistants could fetch from their homes.

the fitting of everything makes it look like kids clothes :/ I like his main line usually cause its budget loewe.

The issue here is that JW Anderson has become a diffusion line for Loewe, when it should really represent JWA's design identity in it's purest form. There's an obvious bias towards Loewe, which is probably due to the larger budgets, more resources and wider visibility the brand gets.

On top of that, he's designing ten collections a year (six for Loewe, four for JW Anderson) and managing numerous collaborations, which is a heavy workload. If JWA burnouts or worse, LVMH could find themselves with another Dior-Galliano situation.

I'm genuinely surprised that designers that are split between two brands haven't taken Miuccia's approach to designing Prada and Miu Miu.
I hate you, because now I'm fantasizing about Loewe by Margiela.

well he's already known for being a massive cokehead, and there was that incident in london all those years ago where he killed an innocent dog unprovoked in a drunken fit of rage... if there's anyone that deserves to be ousted from the industry it's him. he's a literal psychopath

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhaoxx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->