softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Published: Saturday, February 04, 2006

Karl: The New Yorker
By Miles Socha

020406_30.jpg

Karl Lagerfeld Photo by Steve Eichner

PARIS — Despite all the laundries that dot the streets of Manhattan, none is quite good enough for Karl Lagerfeld's beloved wardrobe of Hilditch & Key shirts.

"Starched collars are not really done well there," the designer laments, blaming that shortcoming for his tendency to overpack for trips like this week's New York jaunt to close fashion week with his hotly anticipated show.

"My problem is being overweight, not in myself — in my luggage," he quips in his dizzying, mile-a-minute manner. "I'm always bringing too many books and papers, cameras and music machines and tons of clothes because I never like to wear the same thing twice ... My life is a trunk show" (of the Goyard variety).

Otherwise, New York suits the slim designer to a T. "I feel very much at home in New York," he says in an interview about the latest fashion capital he's conquering, after Paris with Chanel and Milan with Fendi. "New York is a city where I like to go out every night, something I don't do in Paris."

wwd.com

more...

Tommy Hilfiger Corp. owns the Lagerfeld business and the show will feature his Lagerfeld Collection previously called Lagerfeld Gallery and previously shown in Paris, plus the new contemporary Karl Lagerfeld label...
"We'll be mixing different lines and labels and levels of price. This is the modern way to dress."...
The designer is slated to zip off to Chicago on Tuesday or Wednesday to tape a forthcoming episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

To be sure, Lagerfeld says he finds New York more stimulating than Paris — particularly below 23rd Street. His favorite neighborhood is the one around Gramercy Park North, where his new apartment is under construction.

"Uptown, I don't like. Probably it reminds me too much of the Eighties, when I wasn't so happy to be in New York," he says. "I feel better downtown."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the article softgrey. I am not so sure about Karl and New York. Don't get me wrong, he is fashion genius, but I just don't know. Speaking of...does anyone know if there is a Lagerfeld Gallery store in NY...I think there is an accesories store, but I am not sure.

hehe he got a new style, quite interesting..

His sayings on NYC will boost the vibe a lot. Follow the Kayser:P

What Karl is saying about the mixing of different priced garments is key. High fashion now is a luxury goods market and has developed on the premise that women (and men) buy entire looks or maintain their wardrobe only from designer apparel. That's how I think high fashion presents itself but it's not how people actually dress. It's smart to offer seperate lines with different prices but market them together. Balenciaga is catching wind of that with their slightly cheaper basics as is Raf Simons with RAF by Raf Simons. Even if people spend a lot of money on their clothes there is still a casual attitude that is desired. Hedi Slimane has based his collections for the past two years from this. Cathy Horyn made a good comment about formality and it's lack of relevance in modern dressing. Formal clothes are fine but have become rarely appropriate. High fashion in a way is diffusing itself to fit with that attitude.

He's kind of like one of those magic eye-puzzles, look at the pattern for long enough and you see a little, fat gnome in his slighly maudlin teenage son's clubbing gear...

I wonder why he dislikes going out too often in Paris?

update on karl's oprah appearance...^_^...

KARL DELAY: Karl Lagerfeld will have to wait for his Oprah close-up just a little bit longer. The designer was scheduled to travel to Chicago today to tape an appearance on the talk show and preview the new Karl Lagerfeld collection, but Oprah Winfrey was forced to reschedule the taping so that she could attend a tribute for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King's widow, in Atlanta. Lagerfeld's taping is now slated for April and expected to be broadcast in May.

wwd.com

softgrey said:
"I'm always bringing too many books and papers, cameras and music machines and tons of clothes because I never like to wear the same thing twice ... My life is a trunk show" (of the Goyard variety).

apparantly his luggage even has compartments for diet coke cans (the goyard staff tend to namedrop....)

travis_nw8 said:
apparantly his luggage even has compartments for diet coke cans (the goyard staff tend to namedrop....)

I'm pretty sure he drinks Diet Pepsi, but whatever...:blush:

softgrey said:
update on karl's oprah appearance...^_^...

wwd.com

OH! I bummed! I so wanted to see that. I guess we'll just have to wait. Though she is having Marc Jacobs on Monday Feb 13th. That has already been taped! YAY!

:lol: :P :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmozale
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->