Karl Lagerfeld/Lagerfeld Collection

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
:blink: proving publicity doesnt make much money for Herr Karl..
shocking news of the day, from wwd of today

New York — Karl Lagerfeld has a surprising new parent — and it’s none other than Tommy Hilfiger.

Fresh off his wildly successful collaboration with H&M and a trip to Tokyo where he inaugurated the opening of the largest Chanel store in the world, Lagerfeld is turning the spotlight on his own brands. He is expected to announce today that he has sold the Karl Lagerfeld trademarks to Tommy Hilfiger Corp., the $1.88 billion apparel firm, for an undisclosed amount of cash.

The deal will allow Hilfiger’s firm to globally expand Lagerfeld Gallery, the women’s luxury ready-to-wear collection that encompasses the Karl Lagerfeld trademark, and the Lagerfeld brand women’s, men’s and accessories lines, which are licensed; add apparel and accessories categories, and open retail stores worldwide, according to sources close to the company. The transaction also includes the two Lagerfeld Gallery stores in Paris and Monaco.

WWD has learned that Hilfiger has signed a five-year contract with Lagerfeld, who will design and provide creative direction for his brands. It reportedly includes automatic three-year renewals.

Neither Lagerfeld nor Hilfiger executives were available for comment Sunday.

Hilfiger intends to open a New York showroom for the Lagerfeld business, which will continue to be based in Paris and will operate as a separate company under the Hilfiger umbrella. The Lagerfeld business will reportedly be run by Hilfiger’s president of new business development. The acquisition fulfills Hilfiger’s desire to create a multibrand company with multichannel distribution

Quite a smart move Hilfiger made here. I think I like it.

Damn! Did not expect it, but it seems like a nice -bussiness- move for Hilfiger!

Hilfiger needed to do a venture like this...he's been fading away recently, and his new "H" collection wasn't going to soley boost his success. This was smart.

this is so funny...the most pretentious designer i know selling out to the most common/vulgar designer brand name out there....

mikeijames said:
this is so funny...the most pretentious designer i know selling out to the most common/vulgar designer brand name out there....
so VERY true :wink:

money is eveyr thing, I never thought Lagerfeld Gallery was very good, I think he is best doing other houses and playing of trademarks of thous houses.

hilfiger knows how to make business.....appart from that, i really hope the lagerfeld gallery brand will expand since, for now, it's only available at 2 places!

btw, i find Lagerfeld Gallery pretty lame, he never makes any money out of his own line.. says a lot no?

thats what i thought.....strange pairing i think...we'll see what happens i guess

Well,now they both can be utter crap...together :lol:

^ That's so true. :lol: I kind of like Karl's amusing quotes, but they both tend to creep me out. :ninja:

OT: astrid, you have no idea how much i enjoy seeing your posts :heart:

from the NY TIMES...
the happy couple... :innocent:

The Marriage of Lagerfeld and Hilfiger

Published: December 14, 2004

They swept into the Industria studio in Lower Manhattan last night, beaming like sweethearts on honeymoon: Karl Lagerfeld wearing his signature shades, Tommy Hilfiger in a pinstriped suit. They were in fact celebrating a marriage of sorts, the surprise nuptials between Mr. Lagerfeld, the designer of Chanel and Fendi, and the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation.

Mr. Hilfiger agreed to purchase collections that Mr. Lagerfeld designs under his own name for men and women, most notably Lagerfeld Gallery, with the objective of building a worldwide brand. It is a chance for Mr. Lagerfeld to build on his growing name recognition; for the Hilfiger Corporation, a $1.88 billion-a-year company that has been looking for a turnaround, it is a chance to diversify beyond middle-of-the-road preppy clothing.

The deal, announced yesterday, came after a trip Mr. Lagerfeld made last week to Tokyo, where he presided at the opening of the largest Chanel store in the world. He was mobbed by customers, some bursting into tears at the sight of him, according to one person there. The deal also follows this Paris-based designer's successful one-time collaboration last month with H&M, the Swedish purveyor of cheap chic.

"Karl is going to bring his genius to this enterprise," an ebullient Mr. Hilfiger said before wading into the crowd that included Anna Wintour and Kal Ruttenstein, the fashion director of Bloomingdale's. "We're going to expand globally and bring Karl on in charge of design, advertising and imaging, and to develop other Lagerfeld collections," Mr. Hilfiger said.

The acquisition, for an undisclosed sum, is a first step in a strategy of building a multibrand portfolio, said David Dyer, the chief executive of Hilfiger.

It comes at a critical juncture for Hilfiger, which is being investigated by the United States Attorney's office in Manhattan. Industry executives said last month that prosecutors are looking into whether the company reported paying inflated commission rates overseas, thereby reducing its tax liability.

The acquisition of the Lagerfeld brand, the first by Hilfiger of a European designer label, followed several years during which Hilfiger scoured Seventh Avenue for partners, among them Calvin Klein and Rocawear. Some retail analysts questioned whether the Lagerfeld business, modest at the moment — it is sold mostly in Europe and Asia, and also at Bloomingdale's — was enough to buoy Hilfiger's bottom line.

But Candace Corlett, a partner in WSL Strategic Retail, a New York consulting firm, said the partnership had loads of potential. "The shopper feels she is getting a little piece of luxury, and the company that buys him is trading on the designer's prestige," she said.

"For luxury designers," she added, "teaming with a big, mass-oriented company is the future."

Mr. Lagerfeld introduced Lagerfeld Gallery, a line of women's ready-to-wear and accessories, in 1999. But the designer, who also finds time for fashion photography and a publishing venture, Edition 7L, said he has had to stint on his own label. "I had no time to develop my business," he said.

He has said in the past that he sees no reason not to link his name with a mass merchant. "For me this is fashion today," he said in an interview in June. Given to portraying himself as a master conservateur of his own life force, he seems ever ready to exploit his vitality.

"I never smoked, never took drugs," Mr. Lagerfeld, 66, said last night. "My energy comes to me naturally."

Attachments

• fron.jpg
    fron.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 39
...excuses.. thanks for the artcile softgrey :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->