Kim Gordon Capsule Collection for Sportmax

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite two fashion lines under her belt and a signature cool style that women envy, Sonic Youth co-founder Kim Gordon doesn't consider herself a fashion designer.
"I'm an artist," said Ms. Gordon. "I'm really interested in how fashion works for people in different ways. It is mostly marketing and branding, kind of how you can put on a dress and something can make you feel good, but it doesn't add anything to you, unless it's building an image."
If Ms. Gordon sounds flippant, she isn't trying to. When discussing her famous rocker reputation she said, "I don't really even consider myself a musician."
Still, Ms. Gordon was yet again tempted by the fashion lords when approached by Italian luxury label Sportmax to collaborate on the second chapter of their Carte Blanche, "white paper," series. Mostly recently, she completed the Rizzoli book, "Performing/Guzzling."
"They have a longstanding fashion reputation. They're fabrics are beautiful and they make great coats. They're also interested in art," she said.
But that doesn't mean Ms. Gordon, who calls herself "casual" and spent her summer in "Levi cut-off shorts, baggy and oversized T-shirts and Rachel Comey sandals" is exactly a patron of the brand.
"I can't really afford their stuff," she said.
Working with a palette of grays, blues and blacks, Ms. Gordon created three limited-edition pieces—a dress ($275), tunic ($225) and T-shirt ($135)—inspired by abstract watercolors.
"It's kind of influenced by the tree and wood grain [found] where I live in Northampton [Mass.]. There are these beautiful long tree branches and then there's the Mill River that empties out in Paradise Pond," she said.
While Ms. Gordon was pleased with every iteration of her work, her favorite was the tunic because of its "leafy, feathery feel."
The much buzzed about collection will be revealed at the Soho Sportmax boutique on Sept. 10, Fashion's Night Out, with Ms Gordon in tow.
"I'm a little nervous because I don't love big parties," she said, "but I'm curious about how it's all going to be set up and look like."
Luckily, her partner in crime and husband, Thurston Moore, will be deejaying the fete.
Naturally, the event won't be only stop during the New York collections for Ms. Gordon, who previously rocked out with her band at the Marc Jacobs fall 2008 show. She will be celebrating the anniversary of the cool downtown boutique, No. 6. She also has plans to attend the Alexander Wang and Rodarte shows on Sept. 11 and 14, respectively.
"I really like Alex's stuff and Rodate is the antithesis of what you would wear when playing rock music and making experimental noise," she said.
After Fashion Week, Ms. Gordon has plans to get back to music and of course, art.
"I'm slowing recording again, maybe we will get something out late next year," Ms. Gordon said, "but I'm really looking for my next project in art. I'm working on minimalist sculpture now.
—Priya Rao

wsj.com

Attachments

• kim1.jpg
    kim1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
  • kim2.jpg
    kim2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
I like the top, but I read that quote about her not being able to afford the stuff, and I'm kind of confused as to why she is working with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->