Lacroix fashion house declares insolvency *Update* Inks Deal with Ajman Sheikh

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Diorette, May 28, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Diorette

Diorette Active Member

news.yahoo.com

:(

2. reese06

reese06 Active Member

I'm confused on how this is happening. If this brand is under the LVMH umbrella then how could this really happen? I thought many of the brands that didn't make money were somewhat supported by the huge profit margins and returns of other brands under LVMH.

3. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ He's not owned by LVMH anymore. They sold his brand in 2004. The Falic group owns his label now.

I wonder how/if this will affect the couture collection

4. skot4mc

skot4mc Active Member

from The New York Times

5. ParadEyes

ParadEyes Spring of Córdoba

:( this is terrible...

6. designerleather

designerleather New Member

As this global depression continues, I expect to see more such thing. While many of these niche markets have been isolated from such downfalls because the uber wealthy are the uber wealthy, there is also a large abundance of designers and houses that are out there.

7. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

terrible truth of the current market!
    i wish designers would come back with their feet on the carpet and be more humble when it comes to crazy overexaggerrated exuberance... everyone is having difficult times and everyone needs to adjust.. not sure if they followed the tendency or continued thinking (TOO) big ?! oh well shame shame

8. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

And didn't Lacroix just report a big boost in couture sales recently ?

Lacroix is a classic. It can't die out.
    Maybe LVMH will buy it back ?

9. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Active Member

The company has been in financial trouble for years. The Lacroix name has never been been able to really move product the way Arnault thought it would back in the 80's when he lured him away from Patou. Hopefully someone with deep pockets will help them out and turn them around but if it hasn't happened by now...:innocent:

10. happyguy

happyguy New Member

of all brands, why lacroix??? i love the way his collections always pop. and nobody does colour like lacroix. nobody!!!

11. designerleather

designerleather New Member

^ Are people buying it? What is the market for RTW versus HC? Part of the biggest issue is Lacroix went through a huge restructuring only to emerge in a bad market. Bad timing. This is like an investor building a huge building when floor space is selling at $X/sq foot and then by the time the building is ready to lease, the economy has downturned and commercial real estate is at 1/2 X.

12. Navygreen

Navygreen New Member

I agree with this notion.:mellow:

13. Humperz

Humperz New Member

This news is yet another reminder to us all that the credit crisis is real and discriminates against no one. Nevertheless, we shouldn't shun the luxury market as we all like to be spoilt. Maybe it's not a good idea to go to Bond Street or 5th Avenue and spend money like its 2005, however, it's time to be more aware of ourselves and what fits our with lifestyles. Designer-high street collaborations, made famous by H&M, are the best way forward, this way designers maintain recognition and perhaps future costumers and high street chains gain record sales.
    Though it's sad that a major fashion brand is in trouble we mustn't forget our part in the world and what we can do to keep such things from happening. The luxury market has been somewhat of a target for the credit crunch thanks to bankers wives parading around in couture ensembles accessorized with Fendi bags most of us could never afford. However, fashion inspires the young and opens up the imagination of so many. It would be a crime to see the industry suffer for the mistakes of so few.

14. KKnardi

KKnardi Active Member

I'm so sad! This is the reality. although we all knew that nobody was buying anything lacroix anymore...

15. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

NO!!!

OMG!!! No more Lacroix couture!!! *dies dies dies*

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

He was my favorite designer!!! THIS CAN BE HAPPENING!!! I ALWAYS look forwards to his couture collections. This can't be. It can't be!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

*panic attack*

I can't recover from this. Someone call the ambulance. *sobs*

#15 eternitygoddess, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : May 28, 2009
  16. nanker_phledge

nanker_phledge Active Member

I can't believe it.Lacroix was one of the first names in the fashion world that I heard of.He's truly one of the few designers that I would qualify as being an 'artist'.He'll seriously be missed.I guess it's just unfair to see many hip brands carrying on while some of the most inspiring figures are forced to stop/retire.

17. Crimson C.C

Crimson C.C New Member

It is sad that the art of couture cant maintain its place in society. <- this is one of my motivations, to change this pattern.

18. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

I'm in a state of panic...my heart is racing!:eek: And just today I was talking with a friend about how incredible Lacroix is.

I mean...Haute Couture without Lacroix is just...worthless. Lacroix is Haute Couture. I'm so heartbroken. I hope things work out soon, but I can't get too hopeful. This recession is ruining EVERYTHING! I mean, we like to say that a recession is good for fashion every once and a while to separate the talented from the...untalented...but when it threatens those who truly are talented, it no longer seems like the recession can do any good for the biz.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

#18 dior_couture1245, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Paralled: May 28, 2009
  19. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

I cant believe this is actually happening :cry:

20. Grunged

Grunged New Member

Well, it makes sense. I mean nobody in their right mind would pay twenty grand for a dress that's not even wearable. Not everybody is filthy rich and able to just shed money for stuff like that, people need to start realizing that.