Lacroix fashion house declares insolvency *Update* Inks Deal with Ajman Sheikh

Lacroix’s problem is that he was born a generation too late. The designer, whose heart and roots remain in haute couture, could never quite understand how to make his fantastical designs work for the modern woman.

I don't agree with this at all. Lacroix has a specific style; Lacroix has created his own woman as every designer hopes to do - I think this writer is confusing Lacroix's style with inability to update. Lacroix aimed to, and successfully achieved to make women see his point of view without having to sober up entirely.
The recession-aware winter collection was quiet but every piece remained full of the Lacroix essence.

Let the house go down. It's what the house needs. I know that sounds insensitive, but sometimes, a certain way of operating does more harm than good. It is well known that the house as it stood wasn't making profits, so let it go, go back to the lab and come back with a better formula. If Lacroix can put together a smart Think Tank, then the resurrection will be successful. It all falls down to whom Lacroix surrounds himself with.

The secret to all successful businesses is FLEXIBILITY. You have to be able to anticipate and bend with the times.

tooooottally agree

what Lacroix needed was bags, shoes, jewelry and proper perfume releases, not crappy AVON releases. i believe selling the license to Coty or L'Oreal would have made a difference. small maybe, but a difference.

I don't agree with this at all. Lacroix has a specific style; Lacroix has created his own woman as every designer hopes to do - I think this writer is confusing Lacroix's style with inability to update. Lacroix aimed to, and successfully achieved to make women see his point of view without having to sober up entirely.
The recession-aware winter collection was quiet but every piece remained full of the Lacroix essence.
I, too, disagree with the statement that "Lacroix was born a decade late." What I have always found to the most enchanting part of Lacroix is that he is able to make the most antique and dusty of inspirations seem incredibly modern.

Who else could make a gown that looks straight out of Marie Antoinette's Versailles appear so effin' desirable and contemporary?!

Hardly, consider first that it was actually LVMH who MADE the house. Christian Lacroix was a star name designing for Patou, Arnault had the idea to have him do couture under his own name and create another luxury brand to disseminate into another juggernaut name. The thing is, since it was created the company HAS NEVER made a profit. While perhaps this has to do with poor management (unlikely as Dior, Givenchy, Galliano, and Marc Jacobs are doing alright) it's more to do with the fact that Lacroix's creative vision has just never really sold whether it's clothes or other products.

Givenchy still doesn't make any profits.

Nothing, other than cosmetics.

this hurts. however, there exist a number of factors that contributed to this downfall. first, those who have the power to do so have not continued to elevate the haute couture to the status that it once had in times past. while i agree with the criticism that the perfect body has replaced the couture as the obsession of the rich -- so many more women will gladly dole out $10k+ every six months for a little nip/tuck vs. dropping that on a dress -- there exist so many celebrities, royals, editors, fashion houses that had the ability to make the couture transformational. we saw galliano raise coutures profile with the egyptian and austrian collections, for example. why don't we see more couture at the oscars, etc.? and why aren't the truly conceptual houses putting their laboratory ideas in couture presentations and wearable stuff in the pret-a-porter?! when did it become acceptible to put $100k gold leggings on a balenciaga ready to wear runway and their perfect black pants in a pre-fall presentation?!

unfortunately, i don't think we'll see that trend go back to the way it was. christian lacroix is a victim of that.

also, anybody knows that for these french houses to survive, they have to do things people buy. fragrance, eyewear, must have accessories, and a couple of high street collaborations (stella + adidas, anyone?), and you can design whatever you like! christian lacroix did not do that either. if lanvin can do denim, anyone can.

finally, let's not forget, fashion has eaten it's own this season. NEVER EVER has there been a more lacroix season than fall/winter 2009-10! we see everyone from marc jacobs doing lacroix to peter som to dolce and gabbanna to estaban cortazar to peter dundas. it's a shame that everyone else has found away to make the lacroix look accessible except the man himself.

Christian Lacroix Hopes for Rescue
by Miles Socha

PARIS — Since the company that bears his name sought court protection from creditors last month, Christian Lacroix was approached by one of his big couture clients with an offer to rescue the house.

Whether or not the offer was wholly serious, Lacroix rebuffed the advance. “I prefer her as a client rather than chairwoman,” he said, unleashing one of his infectious laughs.

Keen to support the talented seamstresses in his atelier, Lacroix said he continues to sketch couture dresses in anticipation of a presentation of some kind come couture week next month — even if there is no budget to use outside suppliers like embroiderers, and not even a photocopier in the design studios.

“They deserve it, even if we can’t show it,” he said Monday at his XLCX design studio here. “I can’t stand having them do nothing during this period because they have it in their blood. January and July, it’s couture. It’s a physical clock.”

And even if Lacroix said he feels joyful when he is sketching — “the quintessence of Lacroix is the opposite of mourning,” he insisted — there is disappointment and anger simmering beneath the surface.

In an interview, Lacroix was vocal about management missteps at the Paris-based fashion house, also describing strained relations with the owners, Florida-based Falic Group, and its chief executive, Nicolas Topiol.

He described as “courageous” their decision to cut the Bazar and Christian Lacroix Jeans diffusion lines as part of a costly upscaling drive to burnish Lacroix’s couture image. However, he charged that corners were subsequently cut in materials and manufacturing, which he asserted contributed to a 35 percent drop in sales the company cited at the time of its Chapter 11 filing.

“If you decide to do something in the deluxe field, you have to go all the way,” he said. “Even the best factory can’t make beautiful clothes with cut-rate fabrics.”

Lacroix expressed regret that nonpayment has put factory workers and small, independent artisans in jeopardy. He noted that his widely acclaimed fall-winter collection, paraded in a dingy garage in the Marais, will probably not get produced because its factory in Granville is listed among the creditors. (Lacroix, who contracts his design services through XLCX, is owed about 1.2 million euros, or $1.7 million.)

Lacroix held out hope the company, in administration for a period of six months, could emerge with new ownership. As reported, talks are ongoing with a Swiss group of investors, and sources have said the voluntary petition could attract additional suitors.

However, Lacroix acknowledged it is also possible the house could be reduced to a licensing operation with only a handful of employees — and no couture, which he considers anathema to the brand he launched 22 years ago.

“I know that my work, my inspiration and my creativity is not minimal and not so easy to make, but we have the proof that with skill and cleverness and good partnerships, it’s possible,” he said, citing a strong men’s wear business as one example.

He noted, too, that the cinemas he designs for Gaumont are not only for beautiful colors and prints, but also for driving business at the concession stands. “My duty is to design beautiful places for selling popcorn,” he said cheerily.

For now, he said his duty is to feed the ateliers sketches and keep their hands busy. “They want to fight,” Lacroix said. “They are very strong: You know French women and the Resistance! The best way to fight would be to do a beautiful collection.”
wwd.com

^^I hope it all works out!

It was incredible to hear Lacroix speak about his atelier employees. I know things are not good right now, but letting Christian Lacroix Couture disappear could be a final blow to an already delicate institution. These last few days, I've been watching the videos of his shows, and looking at pictures of past collections...and I've come to the realization that he is the master of Haute Couture. And loosing him and his atelier would be beyond heartbreaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the company that bears his name sought court protection from creditors last month, Christian Lacroix was approached by one of his big couture clients with an offer to rescue the house.

That's EXACTLY what'd I'd do if I were one of his clients.

Keen to support the talented seamstresses in his atelier, Lacroix said he continues to sketch couture dresses in anticipation of a presentation of some kind come couture week next month — even if there is no budget to use outside suppliers like embroiderers, and not even a photocopier in the design studios.

“They deserve it, even if we can’t show it,” he said Monday at his XLCX design studio here. “I can’t stand having them do nothing during this period because they have it in their blood. January and July, it’s couture. It’s a physical clock.”

And even if Lacroix said he feels joyful when he is sketching — “the quintessence of Lacroix is the opposite of mourning,” he insisted — there is disappointment and anger simmering beneath the surface.

*BAWLS*

Here's an example of how rich people who buy couture clothes are: A client of Christian Lacroix's offered to rescue his label, which recently filed for bankruptcy. Lacroix turned down the offer. He is owed $1.7 million and has been designing for free for months. And he's not the only one owed money. The factory that makes his clothes hasn't been paid either, nor have the workers it employs. Because of this, Lacroix's critically praised fall 2009 collection will probably not get produced.
Lacroix continues to design his couture collection, though he's not sure if or how he'll show it. (He's hoping for a presentation of some kind.) He says he's designing for the seamstresses in his atelier. “They deserve it, even if we can’t show it,” he told WWD. “I can’t stand having them do nothing during this period because they have it in their blood. January and July, it’s couture. It’s a physical clock.” Still, he has no budget for outside suppliers like embroiderers.
Couture is the essence of the Lacroix label. Though the designer noted strained relationships with the label's owners, he heralded management's decision to cut the lower-priced Bazar and Christian Lacroix Jeans lines. However, he blames recent the 35 percent drop in sales on cheap materials bought to try to cut costs. “If you decide to do something in the deluxe field, you have to go all the way,” he said. “Even the best factory can’t make beautiful clothes with cut-rate fabrics.”
When the courts finish cleaning everything up, Lacroix said the label could just become a licensing operation with no couture. No couture! So the spring 2009 collection pictured here could have been his last. Why didn't he take that lady's check again?

from the blog The Cut at nymag

I thought it was odd he did not except help when it was offered.

I wonder how/if this will affect the couture collection
I think it might be the end of Lacroix couture. It's such a money-sucking operation and the accountants who run everything don't really care that couture is art. I'm sad. :(

Whether or not the offer was wholly serious, Lacroix rebuffed the advance. “I prefer her as a client rather than chairwoman,” he said, unleashing one of his infectious laughs.
wwd.com

i really respect his view of that but its just sooo sad:cry:

i mean TRAGEDY!!!! what is couture-week gonna be without Lacroix???

though i really can see that without the money, the luxury&antique fabrics that make the Lacroix-gowns so beautiful and unique its very hard to stay...

perhaps the offer wasn't all that serious, but who BETTER to chair the business affairs of a house like lacroix than a couture client?!? seriously, she could take it in the direction of a lanvin (which is also a small house run by mrs. shaw-lan wang).

all lacroix really needs is to do some downmarket stuff to get people excited about his brand again. lacroix for h+m, some zany lacroix shades, some fresh creativity with must-have shoes and bags, and a focus on fragrance (and not just that avon stuff) and beauty to pull him out of this.

i mean, why is dolce and gabbana doing cosmetics when lacroix has such a marketable sense of color?

00130m.jpg

style.com

^^I agree. Lacroix has infinite potential, I think. We all can see from his Couture collections that the man is a creative genius with the most incredible sense of color, pattern, texture and embellishment.

I would love to see his talent channeled into developing top notch cosmetics, gorgeous perfumes and interesting downmarket collaborations. I mean, I could totally see Christian doing something with H&M (honestly, all he would really have to do is come up with some fantastic prints and mix and match them on everything from tops, dresses, shoes and accessories and it'll be a winner).

And I know working hard in these other areas would not take away from his Couture one bit. The guy is a first-rate multi-tasker. He does the theater, he does Air France, he does interior design, he does curatorial work, he does Evian bottles...all in addition to his RTW and Couture collections! He can do it all!

And...I, too, am a bit disappointed Lacroix turned down the mystery Couture client's offer. Who better to support the craft than someone who truly appreciates it?

The problem with having someone who's a client suddenly owning the business is that she might want to take it in one direction, and he the other.

Perhaps he knew that their visions would clash, and wanted to avoid a conflict.

The problem with having someone who's a client suddenly owning the business is that she might want to take it in one direction, and he the other.

Perhaps he knew that their visions would clash, and wanted to avoid a conflict.
Certainly.

But on the other hand, I think that whoever it was that made the offer must have an extremely deep respect for Lacroix's work...why else would they want to save his business?! I doubt they would want to steer the business in a direction it has no business going in!:lol:

from telegraph

Christian Lacroix: 'I am too angry to cry'

Famously over-the-top French designer Christian Lacroix says that fighting to save his couture business will spark his creative renaissance.

By Celia Walden
Published: 7:00AM BST 21 Jun 2009

christianclacroix1_1427738c.jpg
Christian Lacroix was founded in 1987 by the eponymous designer Photo: DAVID ROSE

"What really hurts," says Christian Lacroix slowly, "is that my name, which I have now lost, is the name of my family. Whoever does take over the business can use it and abuse it as they like, but it's my father's name, and my grandfather's name – men who brought me up to have a very rigid moral backbone; men who taught me never to have any debts."
Were his father alive today, the 58-year-old designer admits, he would be agonised to learn that his son's celebrated couture house – currently owned by the US-based Falic Group – went into voluntary receivership last week as a consequence of 10 million euro losses. And with 125 jobs at stake (including Lacroix's) unless a new investor is found in the next fortnight, the future looks bleak for the many workers who have stayed loyal to Lacroix since the company started trading 22 years ago.

"I'm fighting," he smiles, setting off those Machiavellian eyebrows. "Don't tell anyone, because I'm not allowed to do this, but we absolutely are going to have a show in mid-July, during Fashion Week – and it won't be a funeral: it'll be a fightback." That there is not enough money to pay the seamstresses, fabric suppliers, models or even the stationers printing the invitations is something Lacroix is striving to overcome. "It can't cost us a single euro to put this show on, because I'm not having my workers lose a penny from their pockets, but so far, it looks like thanks to other people's kindness – friends and suppliers working for free – it might happen.
"I can't stand the idea that people think I am to blame," he adds, despondent for a moment. "But to a certain extent I am paying for not having done what everyone else did, with their logos and It-bags. I never went down that route."
Sitting in his fuchsia-painted couture studio above a quiet courtyard off the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, in jeans and one of his own tricolour jackets worn over a pig-motif Comme des Garçons jumper, Lacroix looks anything but defeated. There is, however, an element of tempered hysteria to his defiance, a yearning for levity in his frequent, gurgling fits of laughter.
"The recession was a gift to the management, really, because they could blame everything on that, but it was only partly responsible. Do you know that I haven't been paid for a year and a half?"
This sets him off again. "I'm owed one million two hundred thousand euros." Has he shed a tear, I ask? He rattles off a quick succession of Gallic tuts. "No, no, no: I am too angry to cry."
These statements – as theatrical as the taffeta, lace and embroidered creations hanging behind him – are part of the reason why Lacroix quickly became a part of modern fashion folklore. Who else would, in laughable fashionese during one Nineties catwalk show, describe a garment as "a 'cold-dawn' shot razimir spiral sheath dress with 'apricot' and 'melon' kick pleat"?
To many, I tell him, haute couture is so baffling that they consider it natural it should lose its place in today's world. "But fashion isn't something dead," he says. "Fashion needs to be worn. People are wrong when they see it as being disconnected from reality: every morning, before I sit down to draw, I read all the papers, listen to the radio and find out what is going on in Iran – all that influences me. Besides, in periods of crisis, people need to see beautiful things around them."
As a child growing up in Arles to an engineer father and a fashion-loving mother ("Even as the sirens went off during the blitz, she would put on her best shoes"), Lacroix remembers being intoxicated by the coquetries of women. "My mother and her friends would wear these wonderful big 1950s puffball skirts and I would crawl around underneath them, breathing in their strong perfumes."
After a history of art degree taken largely "to reassure his parents", Lacroix moved to Paris where he dreamt of working as a curator in the Louvre. It wasn't until a few years later, after a spell at Hermès, that – influenced by the gipsy and Provencal traditions he grew up with – Lacroix started designing the opulent corseted and crinolined dresses that were to make him famous.
"My extended family were very embarrassed," he giggles. " 'Why don't you make things like Yves Saint Laurent?' they'd ask. 'Because my name is Christian Lacroix,' I told them."
These baroque tendencies meant that Lacroix was soon designing costumes for the theatre, ballet and opera, and accruing a celebrity clientele. Madonna, Nicole Kidman and the Princess of Wales, with whom he became close, were dedicated admirers of his.
"I still have all Diana's letters," he smiles. "And they tell me what I could see for myself during all the years that I knew her: that she was morphing from a blushing, shy girl into a woman."
At that time, a running joke in the TV series, Absolutely Fabulous, was helping to make him a household name in Britain. "It was the best introduction I could have had in England," he says, "where you guys all think French designers are brainless frogs."
It's a stereotype that Lacroix is far from realising. Throughout the interview his opinionated outbursts are peppered with cultural references and lightened by a rare, very un-French ability to send himself up. He is surprisingly optimistic about the effects the recession will have on his industry ("If you look back at the history of creativity in clothes – the French Revolution, the First World War and the Second World War – they have all been creative reinventions, the moment new forms of luxury come into play") and loves the British for being "stylistically free; not bound up like we are", but is saddened by the new puritanism he sees in young people "which makes me feel like an old pervert".

Today's size zero culture, which recently provoked Alexandra Shulman, the editor of British Vogue, to send a letter to all major designers asking them to make larger sizes, is another cause for concern. "She was right to do that. Very skinny women don't look beautiful in clothes. What I cannot stomach, because it evokes the war to me, is when you can see a woman's kneecap protruding in its entirety, skinny elbows, or a woman's chest bones. I won't tell you who they are because it would be hurtful, but there are certain models I cancelled jobs with because they were too thin. It's a terribly sad cloning of young women today which actually means that there is no room for anything to stand out – except bones."

As a "Mediterranean lover of women", Lacroix feels that the primary female attraction is their capacity to seduce. "That said, I've always been bisexual," he volunteers. "But I could never live with a man – too similar." Off goes that great runaway laugh again, the kind of laugh that would have been cut short by a parent as a child. "And my wife, whom I married in 1974, still fascinates me, still touches me, still makes me want to weep with joy in the mornings. She makes me laugh, I think she's beautiful, she's like my child and my lover – all at once."
As he walks me out, confiding a propos of nothing that he has given up chocolate and Bordeaux, he has an epiphany. "Actually losing a few pounds and having this battle to fight makes me feel that I am undergoing a renaissance," he declares.
I quote a line from a – perhaps premature – fashion obituary in a British paper last week, intrigued to know what he makes of it. The worry is that "there just aren't enough Beluga-eating, stunningly beautiful, moneyed women in this world to keep Christian Lacroix's fantasy alive."
"Probably true," he deadpans. Then bursts out laughing

He needs to launch and it bag and perfume. I still have hope for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->