Lauryn Hill bombs at Oakland's Paramount

Of course I knew you were joking, you mentioned the grammies. :smile:

From what I've read, I think she could've gotten away with a crappy, badly-mixed performance, but not the 2 1/2 hours late thing. I thought the Unplugged album was beautiful, especially "Rebel". I just don't want to believe Lauryn Hill is the one with the problem, though it likely is true. I hope she irons out whatever the difficulty is and comes through this one alright.

Sorry a bit long winded but it always bugs me when I have to explain the difference between expression and vocal gymnastics. :ninja:

You didn't have to explain it. I know the difference. I'm not really trying to engage in a pissing contest with you, but as an African American and a music lover I find it interesting that you are stating that your musical preference (which is subjective and personal) as qualitatively better than another style just because you prefer one style over the other. If it bugs you to have to explain it, then don't. I won't be at all offended if you hold back in that regard. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This woman is clearly nuts. When she came to Brazil last month she demanded she be interviewed by black reporters only. Of course the networks turned her down.

Why can't "artists" be like what they used to be some decades ago? Go back to the basics, forget all about pyrotechnics and care only about your own damn art, for God's sake. In the end of the day, it's all that really matters - this and the audience's respect. That's why I love rock and roll, futilities haven't got a chance when all you want to do is get your message across - unless you're into prog rock, but it shouldn't qualify as rock and roll (I'm sure Chuck Berry agrees with me there); however, that's another discussion altogether. :innocent:

^I am not surprised at all. There are numerous anecdoctes relating her racism floating around. Truely sad.

You didn't have to explain it. I know the difference. I'm not really trying to engage in a pissing contest with you, but as an African American and a music lover I find it interesting that you are stating that your musical preference (which is subjective and personal) as qualitatively better than another style just because you prefer one style over the other. If it bugs you to have to explain it, then don't. I won't be at all offended if you hold back in that regard. :D

Yes for me it is better and I'm pretty sure it was clear that my post was subjective. I love Lauryn's voice and currently her 'music' is completely inaccessible to me, which is incredibly frustrating.

Anyway about the grammies thing, they're pretty much a joke. I don't know how I managed to convey the idea that I hate Miseducation though, I think it's a great album even if the rap gets on my nerves from time to time. I have far more beef with her live performances, which is relating to this topic. And in regard to musicality, it's something that can be gained and lost. Right now she's lost it, don't forget it's been 10 years since Miseducation. I'm sure she could get it back if she wasn't battling her personal demons.

It's funny how one of my favourite Lauryn Hill covers is "Can't take my eyes off you" which is her most hated recording and song she's done...:innocent:

This woman is clearly nuts. When she came to Brazil last month she demanded she be interviewed by black reporters only. Of course the networks turned her down.

Somehow I don't see this as racist. I can understand wanting to communicate with a member of one's race--as a college roommate used to say, "It's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand." Not that I didn't try to understand, and not that she didn't try to help me understand, mind you. But the ease of communication was just not there--there was no hate or judgment or "tone" involved at all. Sometimes you want to be understood and not have to explain everything about yourself.

If Lauryn Hill's experience in being interviewed by white people is that she's been misunderstood and co-opted, well, send her a sister or brother who'll do the job right. It shouldn't be so overblown and seen as racist. It's a simple request. Sort of like Angelina Jolie not wanting to talk to FOX News. It's her prerogative, really.

Personally, I've found I have more in common with people of all races who grew up poor like I did, and in roughly the same geographical area. Like, I have more in common with Lauryn Hill than I do with Blonde Buffy from Beverly Hills. Now, if Lauryn can't see that and Buffy can't, either, I don't expect any apologies. Because I know who loves me, baby.

Somehow I don't see this as racist. I can understand wanting to communicate with a member of one's race--as a college roommate used to say, "It's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand." Not that I didn't try to understand, and not that she didn't try to help me understand, mind you. But the ease of communication was just not there--there was no hate or judgment or "tone" involved at all. Sometimes you want to be understood and not have to explain everything about yourself.

This makes absolutely no sense in a country like Brazil. And it is a racist attitude in my opinion. Wouldn't a white celebrity be taken as a nazi if he/she demanded to be interviewed by white reporters only? Isn't it kind of a double standard?

.....the post you quoted was incredibly sarcastic...it was supposed to be funny. And indeed, I was giggling while reading it.

.....the post you quoted was incredibly sarcastic...it was supposed to be funny. And indeed, I was giggling while reading it.

I seriously hope so. :unsure: Especially because it was mellowdrama's and I usually love her posts.

This makes absolutely no sense in a country like Brazil. And it is a racist attitude in my opinion. Wouldn't a white celebrity be taken as a nazi if he/she demanded to be interviewed by white reporters only? Isn't it kind of a double standard?

I see Lauryn Hill wanting a black reporter to interview her as if I were a madame at a whorehouse: "I want a pale redhead with big t*ts"...coming right up, sir. I mean, she's the star, she calls the shots. Why question it? Whatever Lola wants...

I'm sure white celebrities get to cherry-pick who covers them just as well...see Angelina Jolie not wanting FOX News around her (not that I blame her). I don't doubt there are at least a few white celebrities who do demand to be interviewed by white reporters, but not that you'll ever hear about it. Race doesn't have to mentioned at all when yours is the one who has the power. Funny, that.

So "racism", little word, big potential argument. I like to think things are changing, but if Lauryn Hill still feels she's got an agenda to defend, I'm not the one to declare racism a thing of the past. Send that diva up a black reporter, pronto. She's got something to say, and I want to hear it.

I didn't think mellowdrama was being sarcastic, but that might just show how naive I am. I don't think it's inherently racist for Ms. Hill to request a black reporter, because truthbetold, most people in the world aren't as openminded and non-discriminating as you probably are Nemova. Ideally she shouldn't feel the need to make that request, but I know racism is still a big problem in this world, although I don't know the extent it affects a black person since I am not black...but I do know it still exists.

I was also thinking that maybe she wants a black reporter so that she can give the black (yes, I probably need a thesaurus...any help?) Brazilians a chance. We had an artist come speak to my art class who had lived in Brazil for a stint of time collaborating with one of the museums in Brazil. He said that race is still an issue, and that even though the state pays for university, black people are still at a disadvantage because they're less likely to be able to afford education preceding that level. Maybe she wanted to even out the odds.

I was also thinking that maybe she wants a black reporter so that she can give the black (yes, I probably need a thesaurus...any help?) Brazilians a chance.

If it's true at all that she did request a black reporter, then I would guess this would be the reason.

I was also thinking that maybe she wants a black reporter so that she can give the black (yes, I probably need a thesaurus...any help?) Brazilians a chance. We had an artist come speak to my art class who had lived in Brazil for a stint of time collaborating with one of the museums in Brazil. He said that race is still an issue, and that even though the state pays for university, black people are still at a disadvantage because they're less likely to be able to afford education preceding that level. Maybe she wanted to even out the odds.

I don't see how she could "even out the odds" by making such an odd and, in my opinion, stupid request. All she got was bad will from the press and media. If it was a white singer requesting a white reporter, the reaction would be the same. The brazilian media would scoff it off and immediately turn its attention to someone else, and probably label said artist a racist. We do have racial issues but we don't accept this kind of attitude that can only lead to unrequested hatred. The brazilian government has been trying to install a reverse apartheid and it's only causing unnecessary tension. The problem in my country isn't necessarily racial inequality but that of social injustice. There are far more white and bi-racial poor people than black poor people. The situation in Brazil differs completely from what happens in the USA.

Maybe she should have asked for a Brazilian Japanese reporter :smile:

Maybe she should have asked for a Brazilian Japanese reporter :smile:

Maybe. ^_^ She could ask for a Dutch Brazilian reporter and we'd have one, or a Chinese Brazilian. Anything, because we have it all. Take my own family for instance: jews, arabs, portuguese, italian, dutch, native brazilians, mix it all and you have me. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->