Lily Cole refuses any future work for DeBeers

does anyone have Lily's Debeers pictures.. I've never seen them.

And that is really true about diamonds not being worth as much as they are... Debeers controls I forgot how much (a very high % of the industry) and they control supply... economics at its worst IMO...

CharlottefromCA said:
And that is really true about diamonds not being worth as much as they are... Debeers controls I forgot how much (a very high % of the industry) and they control supply... economics at its worst IMO...

This is true - DeBeers actually controls MOST of the industry, and if they released all the diamonds they had onto the market, every diamond out there would be devalued immediately. They keep the diamonds at a certain quota for value/profit protection.

Oh, I am so glad they stopped working for De Beers...I was wondering if they knew what they were doing in the first place!! :cry:

It is true that eviction is, sadly, probably one the more harmless things that have occurred in the quest for diamonds...you are probably aware of the term "blood diamonds"? Tens of thousands or miners, often children, have been killed, brutally tortured, and in-hu-man-ly maimed for diamonds.This article from Amnesty is informative.

From the article:

"Many of the prisoner-laborers who work Sierra Leone's open-pit [diamond] mines end up in shallow graves, executed for suspected theft, for lack of production, or simply for sport."

http://www.amnestyusa.org/amnestynow/diamonds.html

God, I can't look at diamonds anymore a shudder, what a pity...

On the bright side, 95% of pink diamonds are from the Argyle mine Australia... :flower:

Diamonds are a regulated industry. That's why diamonds costs what they do. Once the industry 'opens' up, diamonds would cost a dime an ounce. The idea of these corporations pillaging and invading other people's livelihoods for the sake of keeping an industry alive makes sense from a capitalist viewpoint, but from a strictly humanitarian and moral stance... it's saddening. This kind of thing happens pretty much everywhere in all kinds of industries, but I've always questioned and been suspicious of the diamond industry. Good for her and others taking a stand against this. It's a good way to raise awareness.

^Im so glad other people see my point about DeBeers and the diamond industry. Companies like DeBeers are what gives capitalism a bad name...which is why I dont wear diamonds.

This thread has upset me more than the original article. You forget that people could or would even say such things. I am pleased Lily has done this but I hope all other models would do similiarly if a pressure group brought such information to them.

I think that it's great that she took a stand after she was educated about what was going. There are plenty of celebrities and models who will learn about what's going on, but will still accept the modeling offers and free gifts from the company.

I'm so glad that I checked this thread out. I had no idea about De Beers and what they are doing. It's not worth the sacrifice of a bushman for some rock. I'm very held back with what Lily Cole is trying to say, and I applaud her for her actions!

That is way stupid!!!

First they do the ads, and then, after geting the money they claim they are aware that some didrty stuff is foing on and that they won´t do it again...

Just tell me who isn´t aware of dirty diamond business?! Lots of blood behind them... :(

I like Lily just as much as the next person, but since when has she been a supermodel?:huh:

I am so happy that there are still people out there who stick to their values and beliefs and won't let them change despite who they are (models, actors, etc). I really respect Lily for the choice she has made, if I were in her place I would definitely had done the same.

I agree... I can imagine many models who WOULDN'T have made the same decision as Lily and I respect her so much more for it. They always portray every second English teen model as the "educated schoolgirl" model, but I think this is true with Lily.

I hope no one will take the jobs in the future, but have a feeling that there will be a never ending supply of models...

WOW!!! I didn't know this! I feel so bad...what about those of us who wear diamonds....where can we get diamonds from that arent mined in vicious ways like this article?

I watched a programme about gem mining a while back. I am glad she has stopped working with them, I just hope she did not accept the money for the ads.

Let's just see if is true to her word. Look at Naomi 'I'd rather go naked than wear fur' Campbell. She's more than often seen in fur and it's sickening. Just because these models join these campaigns doesn't mean they'll stay true to their word when beauty and money is so much more appealing...

*Happiness* said:
WOW!!! I didn't know this! I feel so bad...what about those of us who wear diamonds....where can we get diamonds from that arent mined in vicious ways like this article?

Polar Diamonds from Canada. They usually have a special certification for them.. :rolleyes:

Good for Lily! I respect her so much more as a model now :smile:. It shows that she is socially concious, and not just in it for the fame and fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->