Liu Wen

Knowingly the support and kindness stem from the heart...

gifs by me

And to pledge and announce, affirm this relationship.

gifs by me

Admired how thoughtful Liu was and what she wanted to do in this episode. She's sweet.
And it'd be interesting to see whether she'll be more open from now on. :smile:lol:^_^)

Liu openly admit she likes Siwon. We didn't get to see/hear this.

Anyway we are halfway through the program (from speculation).

Best to both!

gifs by me

Wonder why the above was published, especially right now. It feels as if it's alluding to the idea that Liu is retiring from the runway (completely). Perhaps reading a bit too much into this...

Anyway, Liu definitely had more than 25 best look, for sure. :cool:^_^

Ermm. So it appeared that this week's Ep. #7 is postponed until next week.
The details, not sure why (another program was in it's slot?).

Meanwhile Liu is in Guam! Believe it's more filming.
Wonder if the final episodes are going to be shot there....

[​

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiice! Ironically, Liu look very cool and lovely, like she always do, with the bike. Wonder if she actually drove it. :mohawk:

still can't believe Vogue Italia completely ignored her for the China special issue

^Honestly, I feel like what she's doing right now is far more important for her in the long run, especially domestically. Compared to everyone else, her fame within China seems to have skyrocketed the past couple of months, whereas I haven't seen many mentions in the Chinese press regarding Vogue Italia much less the models within...then again, perhaps not too surprising, considering China has more pertinent headlines to focus on right now due to the cruise ship tragedy. The issue also barely got any coverage or buzz internationally (To my own disappointment), which is totally opposite of the Black issue from a few years past. All in all I don't think it was a big loss for her. Her path basically reminds me of Du Juan's at this point, only she is actually making a mass impact back home.

Most importantly, Liu Wen seems much happier and in her element doing the TV show from what I can observe ^_^ I wouldn't be surprised if she actually prioritized filming the show and thus couldn't shoot any of the Vogue covers/stories.

But I still have a feeling like, making an appearance on world-renowned ad campaigns/magazines is the fundamental element for gaining fame domestically...

^For sure within the industry and on this forum (Of course), but we all know that like in the international field, singers and actresses actually dominate the fame game in China. I mean, Angelababy is actually the most famous Chinese "model" across Asia now because of her local TV and film appearances these days (Plus her relationship/marriage with a top local actor, haha)! Even before her own TV stint Liu Wen was best known for being the first Chinese VS model - everything else was supplementary to that...high fashion work are basically nice, respectable bonuses, and at this point Liu Wen has probably done enough as a pioneer.

On a related note, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't follow fashion but can still name many of the top high fashion-centric models we all know and love. And this doesn't just apply to Chinese ones - Daria Werbowy, Sasha Pivovarova, Saskia de Brauw, Anja Rubik, Natasha Poly...they all have incredible achievements but very limited name recognition outside of the business. It doesn't mean that they're not successful or respected - it's just fewer crossover potential/opportunities. Right now Sui He is acting in Chinese films and Liu Wen is on television, which certainly forces them to sacrifice their high fashion schedule but ensures that they are taking advantage of other directional opportunities while still at their prime :smile:

Anyway I agree with the idea you said that responds to the proverb, "鱼与熊掌不可兼得", equals to "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

^^^^ Faith_Akiyama, thanks for sharing your perspective, appreciated it.

still can't believe Vogue Italia completely ignored her for the China special issue

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm bemused as well. And bet you I'll be the first to voice this disappointment. :smile:lol:smile:

For real though, when the covers rolled out, it was infuriating* to not see Liu's name there. It might be presumptuous, but pretty sure many Liu's admirers would've wanted her to be a part of this. Until we find that Liu is yet again ignored.

Anyway glad that you brought up this discussion first!

*perhaps this may only reflect some of us, but it sums the general feeling of Liu being consistently treated as less than or dismissed

I wouldn't be surprised if she actually prioritized filming the show and thus couldn't shoot any of the Vogue covers/stories.

True, that is one way one could look at it.

Though can I say this. If this Chinese issue was well prepared in advance, and very well Liu had prioritized the show and her web series... but couldn't her agency encourage/scold her to at least find some time to somehow compromise/negotiate/rescheduling (or vice-versa of the parties), knowing what this VI issue entailed? No?

I mean, since it's Chinese, it's like a no-brainer that this must have Liu Wen. Unless it was at the discretion of the publication/Sozanni/photographer & co. not wanting her...argh, I digress! :lol:

But I still have a feeling like, making an appearance on world-renowned ad campaigns/magazines is the fundamental element for gaining fame domestically...

True and I agree. Then again that contradict Faith_Akiyama's comment about the lack of coverage it has domestically (albeit coinciding with the current ship situation)...

But I also think like what Faith had said earlier, Liu has other area of interest that she find that will have more of an impact to the Chinese public (and perhaps internationally too); and that will be sustainable to not just her modeling career but beyond that too. I mean, she participated in this show just not for love but in recognition and branding herself, so to speak (just my personal assumption). I very much agree with Faith here. Liu's presence has gained a lot and I think it was a strategic move on her team's part. And I've said this before that Liu is venturing or at least interested in other fields such as popular entertainment. So, I think all of this is just a gradual process. Therefore, perhaps, Liu didn't feel the need to do this (I know, even passing away VI and China!)...because to go back to Faith's point, she is committed/preoccupied to what she believe is best for her (and China from the bigger picture).

If anyone's interest, I however did wrote up my frustration here, starting with the bolded line.

I really, really don't want Liu Wen to be just a commercial model from now on, and no more Vogue... My biggest fear for her. Eek!

The Elle Cover Star story (a rough translation)

A ton of covers and editorials by Liu was featured on set. When Simon walked into the studio, his eyes lit up. He took Liu’s hand and went through every single one of them. In the end they stopped at one where Liu was leaning on a horse. Simon said that’s his favorite because his fan nicknamed him “Horse” in South Korea. He handed his cell phone to his agent, and asked his agent to take a photo of him kissing Liu’s photo. Liu brushed a bit at the sight, playing with her hair and watched her “boyfriend” taking the photo.

We all laughed and said we were going to give him Liu’s editorial with the horse. Simon immediately asked his assistant to leave his address in South Korea. He vowed to put up the photo in the most eye-catching position at home. Liu brushed even more. Everyone on set was feeling the romance.

The first kiss

Believe it or not, they just met a couple of days ago. Liu might be the No. 1 model in Asia, but she has never been in a romantic relationship. She has never been kissed!

As a member of Super Junior, Simon was featured in a number of TV series and movies and has a large fan base in China. He comes from a well-off background but remains very humble and considerate. A real gentleman.

They met because of “We are in Love”.

When they first met in a small theatre in Seoul, Simon’s Chinese was pretty basic, and Liu does not speak Korean language except “Oba”. They were sitting next to each other, slightly awkward. Liu had “phobia for straight guys”. She saw his smile, but could not look him straight in the eye.

And there was no doubt that Liu was Simon’s type. Later he revealed that he found “purity” at the sight of Liu’s back.

They started dating. He sent her some gift and invited her to celebrate his birthday together. And she went to the kitchen of the hotel to cook him noodles. Simon ate everything and said it was great. He later revealed that it was her efforts that made it delicious, despite the fact that it was probably not as spicy as he might normally go for.

When they walked together, Simon asked Liu to take his arms. He said Liu had been walking like a man! Liu was trying to get used to it but was feeling pretty awkward.

When they shoot the poster for the show, Liu was standing every far away from Simon, just like when she was shooting with other male models in the past. When the cameraman called action, she was going “1-2-3” in her brain and when it got to “3”, she grabbed Simon’s hand. Simon laughed and said, “No, not like this. You are the girl.” So Liu leant that the guy should take the girl’s hand.

When Simon came to Liu’s home and they were cooking for each other, Liu’s girlfriends said Simon should kiss Liu on the cheek. He asked her, “May I? May I”, and bended to kiss her.

Liu revealed that she had some second thoughts after accepting the invitation of the show, because she gets nervous around single straight guys. She used to hang out with her girl friends all the time when she was at school, and when she became a model at the age of 17, her incredibly busy lifestyle took over.

But now she is trying to make some changes.

“Wenli” is one of her attempts to branch out, along with the show. Liu saw it as a challenge for herself. “Modeling is still my favorite career but I want to see what else I can do besides walking the shows. I was thinking I knew basically nothing. I wanted to learn to play guitar, to dance, to ride a bicycle, but I never had the time. Now, I want to leave more time to myself to discover, to challenge myself.”

When Simon learnt that Liu had never been in a romantic relationship, he was shocked. He felt a heavy responsibility on his shoulder.

He likes her being happy and straight-forward, and also discovered that she was also nervous and timid. He tries to get her to enjoy it and don’t let the pressure get to her. They got to know each other more and more. Liu said, “I worked in a fast-pace environment but I’m incredibly slow in terms of getting into a relationship. I want to treasure it and make it last. I don’t want to rush it and get everything done in a short period of time. It’s easy to say ‘I like you’ but it takes a very long time to put it into action.”

Simon was gradually getting used to Liu’s slow-pace approach to relationship. He tries to give her more time. Simon’s fans are leaving all sorts of messages under Liu’s Weibo. “Let Simon send you some gifts. He has some money.” “So do I,” Liu responded, jokingly. For her, eating in the park is probably more comfortable than dining in some fancy restaurant.

Liu said her Mr Right should be a little bit older than her and a little bit more mature than her; he should has a sense of humor “so it would not be boring”; it’s important that they listen to each other; they should be equal and a girl does not deserve more simply by being a girl. “If I meet the right person, I’m willing to make some changes. I can cut back my work because if both people are super busy, they don’t have any time left to spend together. You need to be there when the other person needs you. The same goes with both parties.”

Liu did not say all these to Simon but when we asked Simon what he expected to come out of this, he said, “I don’t know where this will go eventually, but I know we have met. I will be there whenever she needs me.”

And when Simon was asked who he was looking forward to work with, he said with a straight face, “I already have a girlfriend.”

It makes us wonder, what’s next? Perhaps it’s a bit too early to say but Liu said, “Hopefully we have more Aprils to come.”

Indeed, everything started in April 2015, and it is looking promising. Simon told Liu, “You skin is getting better.” And she finally responded, “Don’t they say women in love are the most beautiful?”

Ermm. So it appeared that this week's Ep. #7 is postponed until next week.
The details, not sure why (another program was in it's slot?).

Ep. 7 is postponed because there's recently a very sad shipwreck tragedy in China and JSTV decided to stop airing reality TV shows for the week.

Yes, it's the same incident I mentioned earlier :( A large portion of the 400+ victims were actually from Jiangsu province (We are in Love airs on Jiangsu TV), so all of the JSTV variety shows from this weekend have been postponed.

Thanks for your hard work on the Elle translation hishirley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ixtab
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->