Lolita Chic

^she looks like an adult who crys for the time when she was a kid....

It would be nice to have separate threads for Japanese Lolita vs. Nabokov Lolita.

I love the Japanese style, and the boystyle variations.

I agree.

I find the Japanese style very innocent, a little ironic, and certainly not obviously sexual. And the Westerners who adopt this style seem to embrace the buttoned-up Victorianism of it.

For me, the other Lolita style (i.e. the Britney Spears photos that were posted) are young girls testing and pushing the boundaries of their sexuality for a reaction. That whole naughty school girl look.

I remember being really into this subculture a few years back when it was REALLY big. There are many different variations of Lolita (the most common being Gothic Lolita and Sweet Lolita, other variations include visual kei, a j-rock interpretation, and so on...)

Yes, it definitely is an influence from 18th century France and from the victorian/edwardian era of Europe. But this is yet another cycle of Japonisme (when Japanese aesthetic/culture became HUGE in europe around mid-to-late 1800s), and ever since then there has always been a strong connection between aesthetics from Japan-to-Europe.

When it comes to the sexual undertones, the lolita look can easily be pushed and molded into different directions. Some more playful/whimsical, some more girlish, some more sexual, some more menacing/obscure.

I remember checking out Lagerfeld's Chanel-TOKYO pre-fall collection in 2005 (for some reason, it's ridiculously difficult to find photos of). Very fitting, blurred the line between contemporary French and Japanese fashion.

someone find me a killer lolita-goth inspired black trench coat... i can't find a good one anywhere!

I just came across this lady's Lookbook.nu page
http://lookbook.nu/user/12388-Misse-L

I am not sure if we can post the photos here, but definitely take a look for a European based Lolita chic. Some of her outfits are really very "cute", and she has a great variety of colours and accessories.

I think this is more like scary cosplay that makes me a little bit sad. I still can't tell if it's 'Lolita Chic' or just this 'Pretty Young Things' thing, ie, no goth element.

I'm in my 20s and am inspired by this look. I like clothes that are girlie and subtly sexy, and sometimes colorful. I also know I won't be able to pull off lolita chic forever, so I plan on getting into it now while I can. Keeping this style in mind also keeps me from dressing too old for my age, which I have done since I was a teen without meaning too. (I feel safest in dark, conservative clothing, and do also love old Hollywood glamour.)

Thanks so much for pictures everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this style, I try to adapt it to my own and the fact that I´m in my early 30s. Usually a cute top or cardigan works for me, girly accesories is an easy way to incorporate the cuteness :smile:

Actress Jamie Chung usually dresses in Lolita style. It also helps that she has asian features hehehe

zimbio.com

Jamie Chung does pull off the look well! What other celebs dress in lolita style?

Isnt Lolita all about sexualising underage fashion? Or am I missing something here?

It's not that deep to me. I like girlie, young fashions, and what I consider flirty clothes-nothing blatantly sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->