L'Uomo Vogue July / August 2010 : Elio Germano / Daniel Radcliffe

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score
coveruomoluglio784x0.jpg

David Cameron, at just 43, is already the prime minister of the UK. From a purely anagraphical standpoint, he can't be considered "young" any more, but when one considers his role and the political circles he moves in - populated primarily with prodigal sons and cynics, the truly committed and the workaholics - he certainly is one of the freshest fasces.

Therefore, with this issue we took the liberty of lowering the bar to the age of 33. A symbolic number, a division between those that fit in this age and those that don't. Starting with two covers: Elio Germano, 29 years, Best Actor at Cannes, and Daniel Radcliffe, 21 years on July 23th, already an international star, about to start a new adventure, leaving behind the role of Harry Potter forever.

Elio Germano: pullover and shoes, Gucci. Photo by Pierpaolo Ferrari. fashion editor Sarah Grittini.
Daniel Radcliffe: jacket and shirt, John Richmond. Photo by Francis wheelchair. Fashion editor Rushka Bergman.
vogue.it

i HATE the text!!! seriously?? it's like cheap teen magazine

I don't know why exactly, but I'm always very drawn to Daniel. I think he actually photographs well. Really strong eyes.

I can't believe there's so much text, it looks like a cheap Teen L'Uomo Vogue actually. Hope the content will save it, though ^_^

Geez, the color font utterly drags the cover down. It's tacky and tasteless.
Too bad because I really like Daniel and he looks fairly good here.

Those texts are just junks. I like the vibe of Daniel's cover.

Love Daniel's cover, but the text is a bit overwhelming.

Daniel Radcliffe

Mr. Harry Potter's new look

On 19 November next when the last episode of the saga of Harry Potter appears on the world's screens, the train leaving King's Cross from Platform 9 and 3/4 will bring him to Hogwarts for the last time.

London-born actor Daniel Radcliffe, he will be 21 on 23 July next, is well aware that this chapter is closing, but he already has new projects in mind that make him "very excited". Thanks to his alter-ego, he already has a mind-boggling bank account and crowds of fans waiting outside his house.

Nonetheless, his deep simplicity is striking, and his very British sense of humour goes hand in hand with his not behaving like a star, with his quick intelligence and a maturity that seems beyond his years. In other words, he is very different from his colleagues form the other side of the Atlantic: ex-prodigies who have turned into dysfunctional young adults.
vogue.it

Domenica Cameron Scorsese

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/07/domenica-cameron-scorsese

The 33-year-old daughter of the director of Taxi Driver and the writer Julia Cameron is a cinema and theatre actress and has directed three short films

Domenica Cameron Scorsese does not like drawing attention to her surname: "My friends like to joke about it, calling it my biological accident" comments Martin Scorsese's daughter somewhat facetiously; she was born of his brief marriage to writer Julia Cameron some 33 years ago.

Her relationship with her father is good, though she does not like talking about it, whenever the subject comes up, she redirects the interview to the main topic: her short film Roots in Water, which she presented in May at the Tribeca film festival. It is the story of three siblings who reunite in their ancestral home for their mother's funeral and confront each other over their different ways of dealing with grief.

Instead of exploiting her father's connections, she has preferred to work with little-known actors and on limited budgets. This new film was shot over two days and cost a little more than five thousand dollars.
vogue.it

Is that SEVENTEEN Magazine? Seriously the layout and colors look really cheap! Disgustingly cheap! And I hate the effect on the O. It looks like a magnifying glass.

Luomo Vogue, we don't need to know who the new stars are, what we need are fresh covers from you and a new editor-in-chief for the magazine

I can't even comment now that I've gone blind from those monstrous fonts.

If you ignore the texts and just focus on the pictures I think Daniel looks really good, moody but good! I've always thought he was very photogenic, I think it might be because of his lovely eyes...

what the hell is with all the texts??? i can't even look at it more than 5 seconds

A.k.n.u.

Michael Jackson's choice

We can pretty much guarantee you've never heard of L.A. -based pop-n-B trio A.K.N.U. But we can also guarantee that that's all about to change soon.

With their affiliation with Michael Jackson-they were reportedly set to open for him on his never-happened This Is It tour, and were in talks to sign to his record label before his death-the self-imposed mystery surrounding the group won't last for long.

The group's relationship with, and admiration of, the King of Pop is certainly evident when you hear their music, featuring their MJ-style falsettos and floating melodies, or see them move, with a hard-to-master balance of aggression and grace almost eerily reminiscent of the Gloved One. Here they finally tell their story.
vogue.it

José Maria Manzanares by Bruce Weber

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/07/jose-maria-manzanares

The new youth of the old guard

The son and grandson of bullfighters, 28-year-old Jose Maria Manzanares faced his first bull at the age of 12, while his official debut in the arena dates back to 2001, when he was not even 20. Since then, he has performed in France, Portugal, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and, of course in Spain.

His dedication to bullfighting is total: at least 5 hours of daily training, seven days a week. For him, "every bull is a world, and has a character unlike any other". And the measure of a matador is taken by the emotion he inspires, not by the number of performances and bulls killed.

His teachers? His father and Antonio Ordonez. His is a profession in which "you never arrive at a definitive and unsurpassable peak; you are constantly learning". Fear? "It's impossible not to feel it. The bull is a very cunning animal... You need first of all to be sure of youself, because the bull senses this immediately". Which is why he admits to being as superstitious "as the next man... I begin to dress always from the right side, and if I do something on the day of a bullfight and win, I tend to repeat this the next time".
vogue.it

Micachu and The Shapes

Mica Levy and The Shapes: new music from the United Kingdom

Listening to original music, in an era of uncontrolled plundering, is a rare occasion. The interest shown in Mica Levy (known as Micachu) and in her companions, The Shapes, is therefore more than justified, and justifiable.

Their debut album, Jewellery, has won over most expert critics, who have unanimously praised the young English singer's music. Putting to one side labelling (which even recently has led to coining adjectives that sometimes border on the ridiculous), everything said of Micachu's work can be summed up as: "new music". It was therefore normal to ask Mica, during the long interview she granted us, if she believes she is truly the initiator of a "next-gen": "I don't feel I'm so futuristic. In reality I think all this talk of new music is due to the fact that our music is a little "shadowy". I mean to say...my work, music, and notes, are not still but travel across genres. Maybe for this reason it's so difficult for people to categorise us. I don't think our music is "new", at the most I think it's 'disorganised'..."

There are thirteen instant songs in Jewellery; they are visceral and distorted, the notes seem natural and without compromise, just like Micachu. And, who knows, perhaps what's really new is what doesn't try to be new.
vogue.it

Helene Hegemann

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/07/helene-hegemann
At sixteen years of age she wrote "Axolotl Roadkill", the controversial novel that had her acclaimed as the new Christiane F. Now, two years later, she calls herself "a happy outsider, but not a poor teenager"

With her debut novel "Axolotl Roadkill", Helene Hegemann, born in 1992, sparked off an unprecedented debate in Germany on the concept of plagiarism and author's rights in the era of Web 2.0. "We have a new Christiane F!" the German publishing world exulted when her novel was published: on the best-seller list it even bettered the work of Herta Müller, who had just received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

The champagne bottles were opened, but very swiftly the media and Hegemann's idyll came to an end. A few weeks after the novel's publication, a blogger accused her of the greatest offense for a writer: that she drew copiously from another young writer's novel which was, like "Axolotl Roadkill", set in the world of drugs, sex and techno in Berlin clubs.

A media lynching against Hegemann began in Germany that had not been seen since the days when news filtered through that German writer Günter Grass had been a long-standing supporter of the Nazi regime.

Today - several months have passed - the new "wunderkind" of German publishing has embarked on a heated self-apologia, shaking off the label of the new "Christiane F." and "spokesperson for a new generation", strenuously defending her "intertextual" approach to writing.
-----

Lucy Prebble

A young playwright dealing with a film on the Enron scandal

Though she is only 29 years old, Lucy Prebble can already be considered an established playwright. She has written two plays (Liquid and The Sugar Syndrome), a TV miniseries (The Secret Diary of a Call Girl, based on a highly popular blog written by a call girl whose real identity has been the subject of much discussion in the United Kingdom), and has brought an ambitious musical to Broadway (Enron).
A great part of the secret of her success can be attributed to her educational background. Not so much her University studies as her having studied dramatic writing at The Royal Court, London's exciting and dynamic theatre which, season after season, produces new talents (as well as Prebble, keep an eye on her colleague, Polly Stenham).

Furthermore, The Royal Court is something of a social launch pad, a network of theatre people which has allowed Prebble to come into contact with writers of the calibre of David Hare and Tom Stoppard - and she can already consider herself their colleague. "I do not study their work assiduously. Of course I read incessantly and do lots of research, but not necessarily theatre pieces by other authors, because my objective is to create something new."
Indeed, Prebble is now working on something very different from her previous works (which were focused on sex and money:( a text on magic, which she may also direct. But this is just one of her current projects. Prebble is also busy with the screen adaptation for the film Enron, produced by Sony, which should appear in 2012.
vogue.it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->