L'Uomo Vogue July / August 2010 : Elio Germano / Daniel Radcliffe

Paul Dano

From a debut in Broadway to Little Miss Sunshine: a new star makes progress in Hollywood

Paul Dano, who's just turned 26 years of age, was born in Manhattan and grew up in Connecticut. In primary school he discovered a passion for the stage, which led to a debut on Broadway at only 12.

"Acting was almost like playing sport, like basketball or soccer; I loved singing but I had absolutely no idea it would become my real passion". While still at school, he received a first important role in the independent film, L.I.E., which won him best debut actor award, part of the prestigious Independent Spirit Awards.

His film career so far has seen him work alongside actors such as Kevin Kline, Angelina Jolie, Daniel Day-Lewis, Gael García Bernal, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz (in the recent comedy Innocent Lies, which will appear in Italian movie theatres from September); Dano says that from these stars he learned a fundamental aspect of being as actor: versatility.

His most significant experience was, "without a doubt, Little Miss Sunshine, the film which helped me understand that despite everything, dreams can still come true, even in Hollywood".
-----

Germano, Luchetti and Ragonese

The lead stars of "La nostra vita", the only Italian film in competition in Cannes, answer questions from the film's director

Elio Germano, the winner (alongside Javier Bardem) of the award for best male actor at Cannes (for his role in La nostra vita"), is one of the most sought after Italian actors.

The film's director Daniele Luchetti interviewed him in an exclusive for Uomo Vogue, alongside the film's other lead, Isabella Ragonese. Before working with Luchetti in "La nostra vita", Germano had already worked with the director in "Mio fratello è figlio unico, alongside Riccardo Scamarcio. The thirty-year old actor won the David di Donatello award for his performance in that role.

Germano asks of a director "that he be allowed to make mistakes. The really strong, true things, are in the folds of mistakes, in dirt... As an actor I love working with a hand-held camera because it chooses what to frame. Traditionally however, everything is set up in favour of the frame: the field is established and only what's in the field counts. The surrounding world is not there, the imagination has to make an extra effort, and for this reason greater control is required".

To aspiring actors he suggests "learning other professions. The more experiences you've lived, the more you'll be able to tell".
vogue.it

OMG, the covers are ugly! even the ugliest Teen Vogue cover is better than this. But the contain is not as ugly as the cover..

Jay Baruchel

The comic actor with a passion for Clint Eastwood and horror movies

A member of the closely knit group of actors who work with comic director Judd Apatow (director of The 40 Year Old Virgin), Jay Baruchel alternates comic roles (Knocked Up and Tropic Thunder) with romantic/fantasy parts (She's Out of My League and The Sorcerer's Apprentice).

The actor, who for the moment has no intention of abandoning Montreal for Hollywood, professes his great admiration for Clint Eastwood, who directed him in Million dollar baby, the film that brought him to the attention of the critics, thanks to his interpretation of a crazed aspiring young boxer.

His aim? To write and direct horror movies. Nevertheless, the project that seems to be closest to completion is "a sort of epic" that 28 year-old Baruchel has been working on since his adolescence: "a thesis about American culture after the Second World War, it is a sort of super hero movie, it is both engagé and exciting, but somewhat controversial. In fact I think it could make me rather unpopular.
vogue.it

Hi

can anyone please post the scans of the interview with William Moseley?

pleaseeee

thanks

I don't know why, but I love the cluttered, tacky, cheap, amateurish, coloured fonts used for both covers. They give it a certain Vogue Italia 90's vibe.

Jamie Bell

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/07/jamie-bell

Though you will have to wait until Christmas 2011 to see him in Spielberg's Tintin, the actor who was discovered in Billy Elliot will be on cinema screens soon, in the umpteenth version of Jane Eyre alongside Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender, and in The Eagle of the Ninth, a sword-and-sandal style film we hope will not be a foregone conclusion, given that it is directed by Kevin Macdonald, director of the Last King of Scotland.

In this film Jamie Bell plays a Celtic slave fighting against a Roman Legion which is under the command of Channing Tatum. In five weeks of training he had to learn not only to ride a horse but also to speak Gaelic and various rudimentary combat techniques.

The 24-year-old actor, who has already been contracted by famous directors such as Clint Eastwood and Peter Jackson, would only be too happy to work in the future for Martin Scorsese and Paul Thomas Anderson; however, he does point out that his choice of future projects will be based on the screenplays: "The fundamental issue is still to pinpoint and strengthen my identity as an actor".

He moved to Los Angeles a few years ago and is fascinated by the States, he considers it "an extraordinary country, the forefront of the western way of life. Living here is true freedom, you still have the sensation of living in a land of a thousand opportunities".
vogue.it

Max Irons

At 24, the son of the famous English actor Jeremy is ready for his début

Jeremy Irons' 24 year-old son, Maximilian, known as Max, is almost a newcomer to the silver screen.

His curriculum to date: three years of acting school, an appearance of just a few seconds in István Szabo's Being Julia, a small part in Dorian Gray by Oliver Parker and two (equally small) parts in the theatre, in Mike Poulton's Wallenstein last summer at the Minerva in Chichester and in Artist Descending a Staircase last December at the Old Red Lion in London.

Now his big chance comes from director Catherine Hardwicke who chose Robert Pattinson for Twilight, launching into the stratosphere a young English actor who, until then, could only boast a few appearances in the saga of Harry Potter.

Now it is Max's turn, together with Shiloh Fernandez (a 25 year old American the director had already taken into consideration for the lead role in Twilight). He has been chosen for the cast of a new project entitled Red Riding Hood, a Gothic horror rereading of the story of Little Red Riding Hood which will probably appear in American cinemas in April next year.
vogue.it

Shaun White

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uomo-vogue/2010/07/shaun-white

Born in San Diego in 1986, he's the only professional to compete in both summer, on cement or springboard, and winter, on the snow, and always at a very professional level

Shaun White, the twenty-three year old snowboarder and skateboarder from San Diego, has been sponsored for more than two thirds of his life and in 2003 was the first to win various medals at the 10th winter and summer Games. Today he is still the only professional to compete in the two sports.

At the recent winter Olympics in Vancouver, he won gold in the halfpipe, and then rewrote history by becoming the first athlete to succeed in accomplishing the impossible Double McTwist 1260 on his second run. "It's a well-established fact that it was an experience that was much more intense than usual, because I didn't feel under pressure (and I am very competitive), so all I had in me was total motivation", says White as he prepares for the skateboard season in San Diego. "And right after doing it, I couldn't remember it. It was like when you finish reading a chapter in a book and you can't remember any specific part of it".

Exploits such as these though, are not achieved without hard work, even for this prodigious talent with the flaming red hair who at just nine years of age attracted the attention of the skateboard king Tony Hawk by humiliating older kids in his city's skating park.
vogue.it

^Shaun looks awesome. You'd never even know he is a snowboarder. He looks like a rockstar.

Thanks again Flashbang :flower:

Love the rich colors of the Radcliffe cover.

And Bruce Weber never disappoints! Color or B&W...genius!!

Elio Germano, Daniele Luchetti, & Isabella Ragonese Talk
L'Uomo Vogue Jul/Aug 2010

*myfdb.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->