Made of Paper

Thanks you very much Gius, for initiating this so beautiful and interesting thread and thanks to all who posted! It is a kind of "dream of papers". Merci beaucoup!
Isamu Noguchi had designed a collection of lamps called "akari"("light" in japanese) made with traditionnal "washi" paper in the 50's.
The Noguchi museum

isamu_noguchi_czechdesign_cz.jpg

noguchi_akari_2.jpg
©czechdesign.cz

isamu_noguchi_decopasion_com.jpg
©decopasion.com
noguchi02_stolaf_edu.jpg
©stolaf.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
the wigmore lights are a steel frame and layers and layers of thin japanese papers layered on top of each other. and glue. bulbs and wires.

i've seen him install them. and repair them when someone punched through the paper by accident :shock:

but gius..

:ninja:...:lol:...

This is very cool. I would love to see an akari lamp in person. They probably would be very delicate though.

Brian Dettmer

dettmerin6.jpg

The Physiological Basis of Medical Practice, 2006
Altered book
9 x 7-1/2 x 3-1/4 inches

eyesornamentangleemail3st6.jpg

Eye’s Ornament, 2007
Altered book
15-3/4 x 11-1/2 x 1-7/8 inches

[haydeerovirosa.com]

Jum Nakao's paper clothes - São Paulo Fashion Week SS/05

http://jumnakao.com.br

Attachments

• 16bolero leque.jpg
    16bolero leque.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 14circo thunder.jpg
    14circo thunder.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3rasgando brasão.jpg
    3rasgando brasão.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5tirinhas cumprido.jpg
    5tirinhas cumprido.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4
wonderful new posts! i really like those soft ribbed textures in Noguchi's lamps

Agusco, I saw in your profile that you worked with Nakao in his collection --that's wonderful! And welcome to theFashionSpot
I really like this bottom left one. The floral pattern on the skirt looks like embroidery
I looked at the website and it looks like your team was also weaving with paper(?)
makingo0171f77aajd0.jpg

jumnakao.com.br/

Hello Gius! thanks for your welcome!
Those papers that look like embroidery are engraved papers and also laser cut papers that were developed for the collection (inspired on art nouveau artworks). Yes we weaved with paper in some bustiers and also sewed some jackets and bustiers. You posted many nice things made of paper, that paper yarn is amazing! I would like to show you another work made of paper that i did with nakao, take a look at this video: http://www.vimeo.com/239467
(i haven't learned yet how to embed or upload videos)

Hello Gius! thanks for your welcome!
Those papers that look like embroidery are engraved papers and also laser cut papers that were developed for the collection (inspired on art nouveau artworks). Yes we weaved with paper in some bustiers and also sewed some jackets and bustiers. You posted many nice things made of paper, that paper yarn is amazing! I would like to show you another work made of paper that i did with nakao, take a look at this video: http://www.vimeo.com/239467
(i haven't learned yet how to embed or upload videos)
:o That's so interesting! It's like a dinosaur
Are the feathers in the video "textura corpo" the same feathers used for that project? ^_^ I like the paper you're using. It seems a bit crispy and also translucent. I almost thought it was a kind of plastic (maybe acetate).

I've been quite interested in using paper as a textile for some time now. It has a variety of great textures. If you are interested in paper yarn, it is actually simple to make:P
I made some paper yarn myself and wove it into fabric. Here is a picture: http://bp0.blogger.com/_m7byKzAT2wM/R06pVNFwcKI/AAAAAAAAAHY/dAUTAXyh6HI/s1600-h/papertext.jpg
I used paper bags from coffeeshops. The fabrics are a mix of linen and paper. In the bottom fabric, I added silver ribbon.
At the top, you can see the paper yarn --the yarn in a circle is made using a spinning wheel, and the yarn under it is twisted by my own hands :ninja:

i LOVE that gius. wow :flower:

Burn Books by tattoo artist Scott Campbell. He
laser cuts intricate designs like skulls and roses through the cover and pages of vintage novels.

www.mama-tried.com

Attachments

• burn books2.jpg
    burn books2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 3
  • burn book.jpg
    burn book.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 2
:o That's so interesting! It's like a dinosaur
Are the feathers in the video "textura corpo" the same feathers used for that project? ^_^ I like the paper you're using. It seems a bit crispy and also translucent. I almost thought it was a kind of plastic (maybe acetate).

I've been quite interested in using paper as a textile for some time now. It has a variety of great textures. If you are interested in paper yarn, it is actually simple to make:P
I made some paper yarn myself and wove it into fabric. Here is a picture: http://bp0.blogger.com/_m7byKzAT2wM/R06pVNFwcKI/AAAAAAAAAHY/dAUTAXyh6HI/s1600-h/papertext.jpg
I used paper bags from coffeeshops. The fabrics are a mix of linen and paper. In the bottom fabric, I added silver ribbon.
At the top, you can see the paper yarn --the yarn in a circle is made using a spinning wheel, and the yarn under it is twisted by my own hands :ninja:

Gius, those paper yarns are really nice, i loved them! Maybe because of the color they reminded me of Yuta (Corchorus capsularis), a natural yarn that's extracted from Yuta tree (i don't know if in english it is called like this). How did you formed the yarn? Did you use any liquid or something to join the "fibers" into the yarn?
Yes, it really looks like a dinosaur! it also reminds me of gibli's "hawl's moving castle" because of it's funny movements. The paper we used in this project is 180gr tracing paper, because of its thickness it's really similar to acetate. We made giant origamis with each paper. In this picture you can see it's structure. The feathers in that video are some studies i did before chosing the final technique.
Shinkoyo Sister, those laser cuts are really nice.

Attachments

• 2debaixo.jpg
    2debaixo.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1detalhe.jpg
    1detalhe.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks everyone :heart:

Oh you're right, agusco-- It's very similar to jute (in appearance and feel)
This paper fabric drapes nicely, I think. It also looks heavy but it's actually very light.

I only cut the paper bags into strips and then moistened and twisted each strip into yarn :P I used instructions from this book:
craft4941fd4e81eh1.jpg

www.wcl.govt.nz /

I think that nice paper you used really brings out the beauty of that bird

Hats And Shoulderpieces From Paper

sorry, posting any pictures did not work, but
exd.jpg
here you find an article i did on a designer from the netherlands who makes the most incredible hats and shoulderpieces out of paper! :crush:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow gius that book looks really nice! i saw in your profile that you work as a textile developer, i would like to know more about what you do! oh yes, jute that's the word!
fnk* those paper accessories are really amazing I also loved your blog it has lost of very fresh information and congrats for your bags, they are so cool!

wow gius that book looks really nice! i saw in your profile that you work as a textile developer, i would like to know more about what you do! oh yes, jute that's the word!
fnk* those paper accessories are really amazing I also loved your blog it has lost of very fresh information and congrats for your bags, they are so cool!

thank you agusco... also for your lovely comment on my blog! :blush:

Very nice work, fnk* :heart: I read your interview... I agree, there is something special about paper and it's the perfect material. For me it's that I can make it anything I want with it. it's very versatile ..and I like the crispness of it.
I like the shiny paper you're using! Beautiful

agusco :P I'm not a professional yet.. I'm just very interested in creating interesting textures for fabric. :smile:I also study surface design (like silk screen), but weaving and other methods of structure building are my most favourite ~
And oh, must not forget dyeing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->