Magazine Posting Etiquette (PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING NEW THREADS)

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
MAGAZINE POSTING ETIQUETTE [PART ONE]

When starting a new thread for an issue of magazine/participating within the Magazine section, please follow the rules outlined below:

• The name of the magazine goes first. If it's a magazine that is available in different countries, please include the country after the title of the magazine (with the exception of American and British titles).

ex. US Vogue, Vogue Italia, Harper's Bazaar Australia
  • The issue date of the magazine goes second.

ex. March 2006, S/S 2006, F/W 2006.07
  • The person/cover subject and photographer (if known) goes after the issue name and date.

ex: Vogue Italia September 2006 : Hilary Rhoda by Steven Meisel, UK Vogue June 2022 : Gisele Bundchen by Steven Meisel
  • Please remember the spaces surrounding the colon ( : ) to facilitate searching for a particular cover subject, publication year etc.
  • In order to conserve space and consolidate threads that usually do not receive as much feedback, certain publications will now belong in generalized or regional threads. Please refer to the following list to see where certain titles belong before starting a thread.

Elle - Worldwide (with exceptions for selected countries which will continue to have individual threads)
    Cosmopolitan - Worldwide
    Glamour - Worldwide
    InStyle - Worldwide
    Marie Claire - Worldwide
    Miscellaneous Magazines - Asia
    Miscellaneous Magazines - Europe
    Miscellaneous Magazines - Russia
    Miscellaneous Magazines - North America
    Miscellaneous Magazines - South America
  • When posting editorial images, please try to post ALL available credits (including the name of the fashion story). For example:

WONDER WOMAN
    Photographer: Steven Meisel
    Styling: Edward Enninful
    Hair: Guido
    Make-up: Pat McGrath
    Model: Gisele Bündchen
MAGAZINE POSTING ETIQUETTE [PART TWO]

• Always properly credit your image uploads, as per tFS Forum Rules.

Other tFS threads can not be used as image sources. If you get an image from another thread, make sure you note where the image is credited, and use that credit when reposting.

Please remember to not host images containing nudity at Imageshack.us

Use other online image hosting site that allow for such content instead.

• No unsolicited and blatant scan requests.

Please refrain from making unsolicited, blatant scan requests to members who are generously sharing. Unacceptable: "Scan this editorial!" Acceptable: "I can't wait to see this editorial!"

---

Thank you for adhering to these rules.

---

These rules were revised 15/06/2022.

Moderators Note:

To everyone posting images of editorials......

Please post ALL credits when posting images-as follows...

Magazine: Month and Year
Photographer:
Stylist/Fashion Editor:
Hair:
Make Up:
Model:

Please do it in this order-
This forum is about the photogs, stylists, & hair and make up team.
The model's name should be listed last.

*Pass it around...Thank you!

^ I'm here for 3 years already and I've never knew this was forum about stylists, hair & make-up team.
I think this rule should be active in their own forum, I mean Behind The Lens forum and not here, in Magazine forum.
Don't you think that posting all this credits are making the forum more official and many members might not post the eds when they know they have so many credits to find and it takes longer time.

Questions :

1. When the picture is little and the other credits can't be seen than photographer and model and the site (source) also doesn't have this credits what can we do?

2. Does this rule also active when we start threads? Because in many cases, we have just low quality snaps/preview of the cover and if someone doesn't have magazine, we can't find the detailed credits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a question about the "new" rules. If you say we should only post 6 images per post do you mean when we post the full size images or does that apply to thumbnails, too?

Also, why does the order they're in matter?

And shouldn't we also post who designed the set, did the nails etc etc... and shouldn't we post all the clothing credits for every seperate picture as well?

^ Coming soon, I guess.
If someone is interested in that details, there's designscene.net

Thanks for the new update, Softgrey! i think it's very appropriate that we credit, it helps people who aren't just interested in models identify a certain stylists work ect ect.

I agree with Tarsha, it takes too much time to credit so many people. I´ll be thinking it twice before I post editorials from now on... I made multiple posts yesterday and spent too much time writing all those names.
I understand the need to credit the photographer and stylist but the hair and makeup people as well?

About the 6 images rules, I´d like to know as well if it applies to thumbnails. Again, it takes too much time to make two or three posts of one editorial, specially with the 15 secs delay between each post.

completely agreed with Tarsha.
Crediting each and every person is okay and important but when you can't post anything then it will slow down our work, because the information usually comes later when we scan images directly from the magazine. TFS is first when it comes to the newest pics, covers etc. Usually names of the rest are given anyway in the threads, mods can change the first post anytime, so what's wrong? Focus on Behind The Lens thread or what, it's pretty neglected and that's the major thread for people interested in hair stylist and make up artist too.
Unnecessary issue tbh.

Right-
we have a lot of questions ...
i'll try to answer them all...

First- The entire section Visualizing Fashion is about the entire team who works on creating fashion imagery...that is what it was set up for, period. Understanding who those teams are is an important part of understanding how these images come about.

Second- All magazines credit the entire team-it is industry standard-this is not a big deal. So yes, if they credit a set designer and manicurist-it's fine to include that info as well. [The order we ask for is the same order that any magazine uses- though, tbh-they don't even credit models]

Third- It would be great to credit all the clothing as well- but that is impractical- so we don't require it. Hopefully you can see the clothing credits on page when you view the story.

If you don't have the credits-
You can wait to post the image until you find them-
OR- you can post in that thread asking for help from other members with the credits.

*With older images and vintage mags, it is understandable that credits will be more difficult to find so we can overlook some of that, but with current editorials, there simply is no excuse for not posting credits because they are readily available.

Regarding the number of images-
It has always been the standard rule in the Designers and Collections forum to post 6 images full size per post. It keeps the threads neat and uniform and very nice to look at for everyone interested in viewing them. So it only makes sense that this should be the rule thoughout the forums.
Thumbnails are a bit different, we don't have a set rule for that, but 10 is the usual number we accept.
* but use your judgement-
if it's a 12 page story-10 images in one post and 2 in the next is not cute-
2 posts with 6 images each works much better.

We expect that everyone is making thoughtful contributions to the forums and not just 'dumping' images haphazardly. And if 15 seconds is too long to wait- well...i can't really help you there, sorry.

Thank you all for your questions and concerns. Your contributions are very much appreciated.
Hope this clarifies why this is not anything new or arbitrary and why it is important for everyone who enjoys fashion imagery.

@Bezimienna: But the thing is, how would people know what to post in stylist/make up artist's/etc. threads if the people aren't being credited? I assume the reason these forums aren't as active is because their work is so hard to find due to people not properly crediting them
Maybe the mods can allow people to post LQ pictures without credits until we get the HQs from which we can get all the credits?
If you're taking the effort to scan an editorial then I'm sure it's not too much of a hassle to also write down the credits while you're scanning, no? I think the new rules make sense though I agree it's a bit harsh to delete all the posts of the recent days that don't include all the credits.

ETA: Thanks for clarifying, softgrey :flower:

you're very welcome...

honestly- I'd rather not have to delete anymore posts-

i know it takes time and effort to post these stories and we are very glad that you guys are doing it...
so if we can all get on board with this format and help spread the word, it would be nice for everyone...

thanks!

For example if i post the photoshot of the album of a band/singer taken by very famous fashion photographer & is too hard to find the stylist. makeup & hair artist? ,is probably than my post will be delete?

no---that would not get deleted...i cannot even imagine how you would find that info...
frankly- it's amazing that you can even find the name of the photographer in most of those cases...
:P

I just noticed that credits for new-ish editorials can be found here if you search for it. Now that I found this I am a bit less apprehensive about posting all the credits. I mean the way some magazines credit is just annoying when they have the hairstylist credited on one page and then the fashion editor credited 3 pages later.

Let me see if I got it right.

If I post an old editorial and the only info. I have are the photographer, stylist, and model or a group of models, does it mean that my post won't be deleted but instead, I'll just ask someone a favor to help me credit the other ones who are involved in the shoot like the hair stylist, make-up artist, manicurist, etc.?

^For example the eds of 60's & 70's the credits are the model & photographer, in the 80's start to include on the stories of eds as well the model & photographer, the hair & makeup stylist and the fashion editor.

And comeback to the case of posting all the credits of the ed, i check out than many hair & makeup artists doesn't have their own thread on this forum, that's makes sense than can't post the eds with respective thread.

yes-
that's all true---

this credit guideline mostly applies to current issues - from the last 10 years or so- where the credits are more readily available...

for example-
*the current issue of W mag Sept 2011---
there is no problem finding those credits and so they should all be posted...

as i said in a previous post...
we know it is harder to find credits for older editorials so we can be more relaxed in that area...so you shouldn't be overly concerned about these things---
we all know how this works, and we know when it is difficult to find credits and when someone just isn't bothering to post them...

here is a another good way to get help from other members if you can't find credits...
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f7...e-see-rules-post-1-before-posting-100205.html

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"