Make Eyes Look Wow?

Reaction score
I have really really dark eyes. They look dark brown in the sun, but other times I feel like I have black eyes. I'm half American and half Korean, so I have really dark hair and eyebrows as well. But I dye my hair so it doens't look extremely black- its a dark brown.

I would like to make my eyes stand out more tho. I've tried that navy eyeliner- but I just don't think it suits me or looks good. I do like the black eyeliner, but then I think it just adds to all the darkness I already have on my face. I usually wear brown tones for eyeshadow. So... I have dark brown hair, dark eyebrows, brown eyes, tan skin, black eyeliner, and brown eyeshadow. I big blob of darkness if you ask me. But I don't know what colors would be safe to use... if I use light colors like pink or something it makes my eyes seem smaller. And I don't want to do that.

I was even thinking about dying my hair and eyebrows a LIGHT brown to make my eyes stand out more.. but I don't know how well that'd go.

Any advice?

Have you tried colouring the wet rim of your lower eyes with a white or pinkish-white eyeliner ? It will make your eyes appear bigger. (pinkish-white generally look more natural than white ones that tend to look dullish ones applied)

Another thing you can do is to get a yellow liner and make a tinny dot in the inner corner of your eyes (Shu Uemura makes a great yellow eye kohl) this will creat an optical illusion (its used on stages as well) making you appear more awake.

Personally I'm fair..and tend to blur out if I don't wear make up..so I think you are lucky to have beautiful dark eyes, and from your description..you don't really sound like you need all that much make-up..

but its fun to experiment..when I feel the need to innovate my makeup rutine I usually try and time it with necessary make up purchases..make-up artists are far more inclined imo to give you a make-over/new ideas if they sense you aren't just wanting a free make over.

:flower:

dark eyes are stunning- at least i think so:flower: i think metallics are a good idea too, or for day- just a light shimmery shade pinks, corals, or pearls.

I am the same...dark hair...dark eyes...part Asian.

Anything can work with you..I think its just the application...

Like when I wear dark colors I apply a lighter color close to my lids and the dark on the lid crease. It lets me wear even those dark colors without looking like a freaking goth zombie all the time.

when i had my dark hair, i used brown/pale pink tones a lot on my eyes. i used sephora brand eye liner in a shimmery brown, chanel eyeshadows in "Spices" (the case had 4 in 1: a shimmery brown, a pale shimmery pink, a shimmery pink, and a golden beige). i would apply the shimmery pale pink (even right below my eyebrows), then add the brown (but i wouldnt let it pass my lids) but id blend both the colors and id rim my eye with the brown eyeliner but id smudge it a bit in the bottom. cant really describe it too well but i basically went for the whole smokey eye look but instead of the typical black, i went for the brown tones. give it a shot! it might work 4 u :smile:

allo!
i think i'm way darker than you
(my pic is in the Spot - thread: Pictures of Us #3)
but hope this will be helpful...

i use a liquid liner (i prefer bristle brush - L'oreal Lineur Intense) in black.
Anchoring the heel of my drawing hand - to my cheek - i paint a thin line as close to my lashes as possible - in one line tipping upwards at the outer corner of my eyes.... sort of cat-like/cleopatra.
It gets waaaaaaaaay easier with practice.
You can have a Q-tip handy - slightly moistened to erase mistakes.

Then i curl my upper lashes and add lots of mascara to top lashes only (prefer Cover Girl Fantastic Lash in darkest black)

Then, when Liner & Mascara's dry - use Lise Watier Lavande eye crayon - as a shadow - on my upper lid just up to the crease - making sure to use the crayon to even out the black liner, so it's nice and smooth.... if i accidentally drew the black liner to thick - this will cover it up and even it out - as much as i want.

Lavande is a very pretty, shimmery plum/lavender colour that i always get asked about - it's gorgeous with brown eyes and tan skin. If you can't find Lise Watier, then a medium plum colour (or berry) would be good to make your eyes pop.

i add dark brown shadow to my eye-lid crease.

i never add anything to my bottom eyelids b/c i have dark circles and makes me look old if i do add liner/mascara there.

Hope this has been helpful
and good luck!

btw: you totally don't sound like a dark blob - you sound beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
xJuicyxCouturex said:
I have really really dark eyes. They look dark brown in the sun, but other times I feel like I have black eyes. I'm half American and half Korean, so I have really dark hair and eyebrows as well. But I dye my hair so it doens't look extremely black- its a dark brown.
Sounds like really nice eyes. :blush:

I suggest you keep them simple since they seem to stand pretty well on their own. :heart: A light lipgloss will finish your look.

But if you really want to do something, use a shimmering sheer white shadow (there's one that's great from Clinique) on your upper lid. Voila, cute and natural.

are you wearing the black eyeliner on the inside of your eye? i'm asian, and when i wear it, it really opens up my eyes...

Yeah I normally where eyeliner on the inside of my eyes. But I read in a magazine it makes your eyes look smaller?..

xJuicyxCouturex said:
Yeah I normally where eyeliner on the inside of my eyes. But I read in a magazine it makes your eyes look smaller?..
I'd say it does..while applying a white/pinkish-white eyeliner on the inside makes your eyes bigger :flower:

Put eyeliner only above top lashes.
Skip eyeshadow.
Open up your eyes with an eyelash curler,
and apply lengthening waterproof mascara.

petite_femme said:
Put eyeliner only above top lashes.

Skip eyeshadow.
Open up your eyes with an eyelash curler,
and apply lengthening waterproof mascara.

Any u recommend ?

Shu uemura eyelash curler, best thing ever invented!!
Liquid eyeliner on top, pencil on bottom
Loads of mascara, both top and bottom lashes.
Use dark eyeshadows (dark brown, charcoal) on the part where your eye creases to give you a more defined, smoky eye look as well as giving your eyes depth.

I read for dark and small eyes.
Avoid dark colors stick to light colors. Go with a liner that is dark color but a thin line, even smudge it but avoid thick line, this can actually close up the eye. Apply to the top lid near eyelash line starting with the inner lid and go all the way to the outer lid.
use a shimmery shadow not glittery. Curl your lashes only the top and hold the lash curler for at least 20 sec. Pay close attention to the outer lashes.
Groom your brows. Even without make up a well groomed brow will make your eyes appear larger, do not go too thin. don't just fill in the sparse spots, pay attention to the tail over your brows. If you use a pencil to fill in make sure to blend so it looks natural.

As for color shadows. If you have brown. Use a light to medium green or gold not yellow. This will pick up the flecks in your eyes and again not heavy. apply from lash line to brow bone blend well. Use a shimmery not glittery.
Also if you use powder makeup use powder shadow and cream makeup with cream makeup. this is helpful when needing to correct mistakes.
Hazel eyes work well with dark green and pale yellows
Blue eyes - brown and rose
Green eyes - lavender (night) and mocha (day)

In every case always apply base to your eyelids it helps with an even application and also hides any vains or stubble (the ones you just can't get at just yet) on the lid.

Hope this helps.

I'm Asian too and having dark eyes, what I use for daily eye make up is : eyeshadow base ( so that the eyeshadow will last longer ) , eyeshadow duo with brown and a beige/cream. First I put the beige/cream on than put black kajal above the lashes. then put the brown eyeshadow over the whole eye ,so that the black is not so strong. Put some black mascara on but not under the lashes. also no kajal under the kajal.

hope that will help you

Im African American, I think what works really well is to use a half shade lighter foundation under your eyes ( mix your regular foundation with the next lighter color) dont do a full shade lighter cause you'll look crazy:blink: . Anyways do that and also use metallic colors on your eyelids. MAC has this color line called "pigments" it works sooo good. Its shimmery but not tacky, Its kind of expensive but I would go with warm gold and copper tones. That will brighten them instantly. I wouldnt go for pinks and tans cause they will just make you look ashy or like a doll?:doh: If you want a more natural look wihtout alot of foundation use a golden/brown color on your lids and take a very small amount and line the bottome of your eyes and blend it really well.
But most importantly remember that you are you. I think dark eyes are gorgeous! You can play around with so many different looks.B)
You can have your brows lightened (professionally) if it bothers you that much but only go a shade lighter.
I LOVE the model Liya Kibede ( or whatever her name is) she always looks fresh faced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->