Makeup Tips for Black / African / Dark Skin?

Hey everyone. I have dark brown skin as well.I'm not sure if this was answered in the thread already but I wanted to know where some of you go to get your face primers and eyeshadow primers(do they come in colors for dark skin or are they supposed to go on clear)?

^I used Sephora's primers and Makeup4ever too. I also liked the orange base from the latter which gave a glowy finish.
I might get it again actually!

Face primers wise, Armani has been really good for me so far. I tried GOSH but it just felt way too heavy.

I haven't tried any eyeshadow primers yet but I was also wondering whether they all show up in that powdery white hue.

smashbox primers are amazing, it was voted best primer of 2010 i believe (allure magazine)
i have the green one, it really smooths the canvas

Does anyone have lipgloss/lipstick recommendations (esp. Nars) for a nude lip? Please oh please oh please. :flower:

I would definitely call myself the Queen of Nude Lips as I tend to like dramatic eye makeup with nude lips. I have sooo many nudes, it's a sin! :innocent:

However, here are a few of my favorite nudes off the top of my head in no particular order. (I am acutally about to do a "Fave Nudes" video on my youtube channel.)

Kevyn Aucoin- Vesuvian lipgloss
Kevyn Aucoin- Caremellina lipgloss
NARS- Chelsea Girls Lip Lacquer
NARS- Hustler lipgloss
MAC- Revealing Gloss
MAC- Beaux Gloss
Diorgloss- Linen Beige #317
Bobbi Brown gloss- Suede
Revlon Beyond Natural Lipgloss- Spice & Deep Spice

Once again, these are off the top of my head. I'd have to actually look in my kit to see. I know there are more, but hope these help. Some of them I've not been able to find anymore.

A seller at Sephora told me a couple of weeks ago that the Iman make-up line would be discontinued in France.

She even said that it was already the case in the US.

Sad news.

Happy to report that two years later, I still see the IMAN line in Walmarts and drugstores in the US. I believe I still saw it last year or so in Paris at the Sephora on Champs-Elysees, no?

i'm in search of a really great eyebrow pencil!!!
my eyebrows tend to grow out really weirdly, so i pluck them alot and i ALWAYS manage to overpluck and look like a chola girl...so i need a good pencil to fill them out when i overpluck and to kind of shape them...:D
i know Anastasia is supposed to be the best brand but i only saw blonde/brunette pencil shades. i think the brown would be to light as i recently dyed my hair jet black and would need the brows to match...
any suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

Try Make Up Forever Eyebrow Corrector in #3. It's a dark brown shade that comes in a tube and you apply it with a stiff brush. It's one of my favorites to use on brows!

Happy to report that two years later, I still see the IMAN line in Walmarts and drugstores in the US. I believe I still saw it last year or so in Paris at the Sephora on Champs-Elysees, no?

Tant mieux, non? :wink:

hey guys!

so i'm new to the world of make up. in fact, i don't ever wear makeup. i got the MAC studio fix for a wedding maybe 3 years ago and i still have it, barely used. i have a little box of purple powder i've been unable to identify (may or may not be blush or eyeshadow, lol:innocent:)

in any event, to add to all this drabbery, i've also been blessed with horrible vision, so what does a be-spectacled girl do?? any suggestions on what to wear and colors and such? what are good lines to try? does it even make sense to wear eye makeup what with my sexy prada frames to bedazzle the world instead? :sick:

oh, i'm also really excited about this thread. read almost all the pages trying to find info on darker toned chanel lipcolors. coooool!

:mohawk:as you were, ladies.

Well, Pennerad, it all depends on the type of stuff you're looking for... lips, eyes... do you even plan on wearing it? :innocent: You did say you have stuff that were hardly used. ...just sayin'! :rolleyes:

I know this was prob answered already- but I'm desperate to find a good foundation for african american skin? I'm not a fan of MAC. Anyone know of any good websites or stores to find it? Anyone know of any with samples as well?

I was able to find Make Up Forever at Sephora. It's not too heavy (but as I've said before, I'm not v. familiar with makeup) and it goes on easy and doesn't cake or any of that stuff. It's 'high definition' make up; should be able to get it at any sephora. B)

I know this was prob answered already- but I'm desperate to find a good foundation for african american skin? I'm not a fan of MAC. Anyone know of any good websites or stores to find it? Anyone know of any with samples as well?

Armani is my current favourite but their colour selection is limited. Bobbi Brown is also quite good.

after trying just about every foundation mentioned on this thread,
i would like to recommend Cargo wet/dry foundation compact.
i was a nc44 in mac studiotech but #70 in the cargo wet/dry is way better for the yellow undertones in my skin. it's the only other foundation beside becca that doesnt break me out. (becca stick foundation in "brioche" matched my skintone and was noncomodegenic but made me look like i dipped my face in a bowl of grease...)
Cargo is really good for anyone in a hot/humid climate because it doesnt add oiliness. it's nice and matte, not too heavy...good stuff :-)

I would definitely call myself the Queen of Nude Lips as I tend to like dramatic eye makeup with nude lips. I have sooo many nudes, it's a sin! :innocent:

However, here are a few of my favorite nudes off the top of my head in no particular order. (I am actually about to do a "Fave Nudes" video on my youtube channel.)

Kevyn Aucoin- Vesuvian lipgloss
Kevyn Aucoin- Caremellina lipgloss
NARS- Chelsea Girls Lip Lacquer
NARS- Hustler lipgloss
MAC- Revealing Gloss
MAC- Beaux Gloss
Diorgloss- Linen Beige #317
Bobbi Brown gloss- Suede
Revlon Beyond Natural Lipgloss- Spice & Deep Spice

Once again, these are off the top of my head. I'd have to actually look in my kit to see. I know there are more, but hope these help. Some of them I've not been able to find anymore.

OK, so moooonths later... I finally did the video for nude lips for brown girls like us!!!! Hope this helps!

Diva talks about her fave nude lip shades

^^thank you! I am def interested in checking out Dior Linen Beige. I wish Chanel had a nude I could pull off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->