Making your own clothes?

^One problem though, is that some machines don't come with certain feet
Like the manufacturer for my machine doesn't make a Felling Foot...

You can buy aftermarket ones for specific applications that work better and fit better than generic plastic ones, like a Coats and Clark invisible zipper foot will be a lot better than trying to half *** it with the universal zipper foot that came with your machine.

What's it mean when the buttonhole function is one-step? I always hear about easy steps ones... You just put your fabric in and it overcasts the rectangular buttonhole for you? What if you got irregular sized buttonholes.. custom-sized, etc.

The foot has a automatic measuring thing on it. I can put just about anything on the foot and the machine automatically figures out the needed length of the hole up to about an inch and a half or so. I might add it's a manual thing too, it's not a digital machine. It has a trigger stop thing that changes needle direction instead of me starting and stopping the buttonhole 4 times and messing with setting in between rotating and aligning the fabric. Doing a buttonhole old school style is a pain in the ***. But we buy machines to suit our needs, mine is very simple and built like a tank.

Also, the overlocker and one-step buttonholing sounds helpful.

FYI you'll most likely have to get a separate machine for overlocking (serging). if you're going to sew with a lot of knits then i highly recommend you look into it eventually... mine is a white and i love it to death.

i think the main thing is to look for a machine that has all metal parts inside and does just what you need it to do, without all of the bells and whistles. also i'd personally stay away from one that is computerized for a first machine, because i think it's important to learn on a regular one before you get into that...

i've been using my basic kenmore zig-zag machine for maybe 10yrs and it still runs like a champ. and since it's so basic, i can clean/service it myself, which is key :flower:

Actually I'm nervous to say this, but I've just bought a really old Singer. Singer 328k to be specific, I'm worried I have made a mistake.

i would actually say the older machines are more durable and trustworthy than any new ones. singer is a really good basic machine, and if you're just leanring, it's a great choice. honestly, i just have a basic singer....i want to get another machine soon, because i dont like the plastic machine or plastic bobbins, but it was a gift and it works for what i use it for.....even sews leather pretty well. i've used berninas, brothers, kenmore, singer, and a jukie (not sure if im spelling that right or now) overlock serger. i really loved the old brother, that was my moms....you could sew anything on that lil machine.

im super excited for you and i think you're going to have a ton of fun and learn a lot!

i've been doing a ton of dressmaking lately....finishing up my orange coat, and a red wool one too. i just bought a bunch of retro print cottons and am going to do some 1940's inspired dress styles....because i cant find what i like or want in stores. I also am going to make up some patterns for some flowy retro blouses too....'ve been buying tons of fabric on ebay lately :ninja:

Very cool, thank you! I've been buying fabric like crazy on ebay lately as well, how funny, perhaps we're bidding against each other at times. I have been collecting patterns, tearing apart old blazers, and scouring my fabric stores. It really is exciting! Your projects sound fabulous, I'd love to see what you do to the wool coat and also the vintage apparel, I hope you post pictures when you make progress :flower:

i'll scan some fabric swatches and stuff to show you all what i've got myself buried in ^_^

i'd love to see what you're working on jun!!

i have some patterns all but done, fabrics picked out, but have all of a sudden gotten crazy busy at work + so no time to sew lately. i really want to get a couple of tops done before it actually gets cold outside...

lukewarm, i love tearing apart old clothes to see how they were made! you must be having a ball!!!

well, my scanner really sucks, as th colors of the fabrics are really off...but this is along the lines of some of the stuff im working on:
redcoatTFS.jpg

orangecoatTFS.jpg

totally missed this- i love the detail on that first coat! and that orangey woven in the 2nd is so great! :woot:

i've been slacking so much... i have fabrics picked out with vague patterns/notes pinned to them, but haven't had a chance to do any sewing for myself in forever. and now that i've decided to re-do my office/studio, i might as well start thinking spring already...

i think that freshening up the space will help motivate me to go in there and do stuff... i have an ambitious plan to put most of my fabric stash on bolts, add shelving, etc...

dont feel bad...i have like 3 dresses cut out, four jackets almost finished and a bunch of random things....i really need a studio!

What are some sites devoted to DIY fashion/ making clothes? I am itching to see some people's creations.

Try http://www.craftster.org/forum/ and http://www.burdastyle.com/.

These are great sites for DIY. What's amazing about BurdaStyle is that when you join as a member (it's free!) you can download free patterns and instructions to sew up at home. They also host contests where you can get your design or pattern picked up and distributed for free to download on the website. It's a really cool site.

I highly recommend these sites.

Good luck, jun3machina! Those look like great pieces and I can't wait to see your final work. :wink:

Wow this thread is very helpful. The Patternmaking for Fashion design book seems really extensive and something I'll need. I would love to make my own dress shirts and coats. I planned on taking patternmaking classes but I got side tracked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished these!! I'll take detailed pics later...

Attachments

• phpb1HL7KPM.jpg
    phpb1HL7KPM.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22
just finnished making this!
first top ive made, its a bit messy on the straps but as its a first try im pretty proud,
just need to work on my sewing skills i think!

2vxi1pf.jpg

ps. sorry that my mirror and bedroom is a mess! ^_^

^looks like it fits well :smile:

educo love the silhouette.. and it goes really well with the shoes
the fabric looks really thick and soft
what is it made of? :P

^looks like it fits well :smile:

educo love the silhouette.. and it goes really well with the shoes
the fabric looks really thick and soft
what is it made of? :P

Thanks Guis! The fabric is a very lightweight stretch wool. I plan to make different versions of these pants with different fabrics.

I've made a few of my own pieces and I love it :smile: I love the art/design of it and then the idea that it's my own so NO one else has it. Thanks for the suggestions-the book and the sites. This thread is boss! *bookmarking*

Which would be the best sewing machine for a sewing virgin to purchase? I have decided to bite the bullet; joined burdastyle and ready to wreck havoc on material (!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->