Dyeing clothes

Thanks for your advice! I guess I'll take it to the pro since it is dry clean only.

Could you let us know what the drycleaners might say to you when you bring your sweater in ? ^_^ Would be interesting to hear...
I actually always wonder why many people don't wash their wool sweaters.. because I wash mine myself and they are fine. Plus I dye wool items (not Rit dye) and you need hot water for it to work...
I guess it's that if it is not fine quality it will pill?

i'd like to hear back. how do dyes affect Cashmere and Merino? SS09 has so many gradient pieces coming, i'm thinking about doing some DIY.

Gradients are best achieved via dip-dying, right?

I have some light blue denim (not real denim I don't think) shorts which I want to dye black. How'd you think I should do it? I bought a lot of little dye's in tins because they were cheap, do you think it would work if I used that?

Hi,

Dyeing depends on the the fabric and the kind of dyes you're using. Different dyes are made for different types of fabric. You'll have to check to see if your dyes will work with the fabric your shorts are made of. I work with fiber reactive dyes which work on cotton, rayon, silk, wool, cotton/lycra blends and blends of each. When dyeing black I have to use higher temperatures, more dye and more agitation to get a solid black.

Hope this helps,

Jo

welcome to tFS!!^ :meow:

nice seeing a dyer here
You must be using something other than a fibre-reactive dye for black, right? I don't heat those dyes

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.....I don't heat the dye I just use hotter water when mixing the dye or vat dyeing with black.

Jo

has anyone had any luck with getting a dry cleaner or tailor to do the dying a garment for you?

What are the best fabrics to dye in tea? Lace responds well, but other fabrics aren't as easy to transform. Tips or suggestion are appreciated

I bought a dress which is black lace over a lightish blue 65% polyester 35% cotton lining. While I like the colourway, I think it would look better with the lining in a brighter colour like purple or cerise. Does anyone know if it is possible to dye this type of fabric, and if so, what sort of dye should I use? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

^you might try a dye like Rit dye or Dylon because they have different dyes in one dye package (dye for cotton, dye for wool, dye for poly, etc.). that way it will dye all of the content in the fabric
I haven't used Rit but if you use Dylon, you dye it in hot water so you can watch it as you add more dye, getting the shade you want.

I would go with purple since purple already has blue
With cerise, you would have to remove the light-blue or you would get a light-blue tinge in your finished fabric. I wouldn't know how to remove colour from polyester...

has anyone had any luck with getting a dry cleaner or tailor to do the dying a garment for you?
I haven't seen a dry cleaner that has dye services.
I went to couple this week...

Lena used to say going to local film/theatre houses since they are used to dyeing smaller amounts

i really would like to dye one of my hanes v neck shirts. i just dont like the normal white. however, it is such thin fabric not sure if it will work. what and how should i do?

I tried to dye my jeans with bleach, but they get completely dissolved, so I threw them away.
But those went pretty well, I think.

i was dying a denim jacket and left it alone, and remember to turn the fire off when i read the title of this thread:rofl::rofl:

i wonder how furious my local laundromat would be if i decided to use one of their washing machines in order to dye a garment...i dont remember seeing any signs in any laundromats ive been to prohibiting people doing that...:unsure:

can someone tell me how to gradient dye pants? do u just dip them in dye halfway and hang them for a couple of hours? just wanted some advice before i tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->