Marios Schwab S/S 10 London

Oooohhhh...I see an attempt at Michael van der Ham-esque garment parts collage but the result is clumsy and looks more like thoughtless layers than splicing.

Couldnt disagree with you more. Michael van der Ham is exactly what you describe, clumsy and thoughtless. THIS collection was soooo elegant and beautiful with a clear vision and precise execution.

Sme of this works quite well, and I love how his fabrics always look so rich...but parts do look a bit gimicky with the layering and splicing.

I want to like this, but I can't. Take away the interesting (re; unflattering) things and you're left with fairly run of the mill clothes.

And I completely agree with Zazie, because clumsy is the only way some of this could be described.

It's a shame those beautiful earrings were part of the same collection as the clothes.

I like all the mixes of textures and whatnot, but its not a wearable collection IMO

hmm.. i actually can see it being wearable. of course with "adverterous" dresser. i like the idea of the cropped jackets and all the layers sheerness and tieres but some of the looks are a bit overkill.. i guess messy.

From Grazia:
LFW report: Marios Schwab
This was a big show for Marios Schwab – the first since the London-based designer was appointed creative director of Halston. All eyes will be watching to see whether he can revive the iconic Seventies brand next season but if today’s show was anything to go by, he’ll be just fine. Inspired by Greek goddesses and Victorian ladies, the key here was the marrying of medieval and modern, romantic and tough. He did it by texture blocking. Sheer fabrics contrasted with metallics, the most striking of which was a dark midnight blue. Soft leopard and jewel prints were layered with chain mail tops over draped chiffon skirts. Traditional shirting shapes had been deconstructed and then reconstructed so they became multi-pieces that, like the rest of the collection, were designed to be mixed and matched. But we liked them the way Marios had constructed them, clearly designing for a female body with hips. He must be the only man at the moment capable of making a modern maxi dress – one that looks fresh, interesting and that’s actually wearable. It’s the stuff modern girls dream of.

I agree with Spike, I want to like this but I can't. Someone invariably says this every fashion season, but truly this season, any hint of uniqueness or originality is few and far between. Maybe it will take a couple of seasons for stuff to be destiled, but I have a hard time envisioning how this will really work on a real woman and who will be inclined to pick this up in a store and buy it. I feel like maybe because there have been no hard and fast trends these past few years (ie you can make anything be on trend) a lot of designers are 'lost' in terms of inspiration. But truly, I hope things start to pick up because I'm seeing a lot of rehash, a lot of awkward shapes that are totally unwearable, and a lot of hard to sell products.

Most of it's very unappealing, to me.

It improved, slightly, towards the end - but still nothing to write home about.

odd they didn't mention the shirt materials in the review.. a few of the transparent ones, it's actually chainmail --... i wonder how it feels ^^

2eeajv5.jpg

it's this top
http://pics.livejournal.com/scarletswidow/pic/001q84h2

src| style.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back