Marni F/W 2022.23 Milan

Totally and it's disrespectful, too. I don't even know if I ever learned the name of this person (and don't want to know, thanks!) but in a way, he's simply following a strategy that's proved to be successful, that is applauded and fiercely defended.. when you see dinosaurs like Hedi succeed by doing this time after time, why wouldn't he, it's like today's 101 of decimating a label: always pretend it was ashes/gone/irrelevant before you stepped in to the point the people that created something enticing enough for you to accept the job are not even worth any acknowledgement or minimal gratitude.

Anyway, some of these dudes in the show should at least learn how to scrub their knees, considering this is a first and last time on a runway for some of them. It just adds to the hideousness of it all, which, I got to admit, is perfectly balanced in casting and clothes, it's just impossible to say one is worse than the other.
But you know, Hedi in a way is different because he managed to twist everything and somehow find a way to create a connection between his work and the brands he is working for. He comes, cleans everything but in his story telling, he invent some kind of filiation between either YSL or Celine. And that’s the same for every designer who comes to a house.

And you see it’s generally the same thing everytime a designer comes even if he cleans everything, he/she tries to find a link, even the smallest to give an authority to his vision.

What is interesting here is that Marni is treated like a new brand. I refuse to believe that they still have their historic clientele…
There’s nothing in the current philosophy or aesthetic that evokes Marni and it history.

This show looks more like a Messy homage to Margiela.

It looks like a show made to present the creations of psychiatric patients, who are making clothes as a form of alternative therapy.
OMG. :rofl: Actually you just reminded me of Mélanie Laurent's directional debut The Mad Women's Ball - and it is quite alike!

What is interesting here is that Marni is treated like a new brand. I refuse to believe that they still have their historic clientele… There’s nothing in the current philosophy or aesthetic that evokes Marni and it history.

All the Marni clients, at least from my experience from talking to them, have migrated to brands like Bottega Veneta, Prada, and Plan C - the brand of Consuelo's daughter Carolina. In saying that, there is indeed a big gap in the market for that "old" Marni aesthetic. No brand is currently designing with that aesthetic? There is an opportunity for that whole Milan-art-gallerist design vibe to make a comeback IMO.

^^ LOL!

Marni RTW Fall 2022
It was like a school play in the best and worst way.

BY BOOTH MOORE / FEBRUARY 27TH 2022

It takes a lot of hubris to keep guests on their feet in the dark — literally — for 45 minutes waiting for a show to start.

Not to mention then staging a slow-moving runway procession, and when it got to be too much for some, not letting them exit. As in guards physically preventing them from leaving.

That was Marni, and it was a s–t show. Which is too bad, because what Francesco Risso had to say was quite interesting.

To stage his latest experiment in creative community and upcycling, he chose a cavernous, overgrown green space with a central rock formation (I swear I saw, or at least imagined, a snake). Everyone packed in around it, and some dude thought it would be the perfect moment to light a joint.

When the show did start, models pushed their way through holes in the crowd in their journey up over the rock, each with a guide to help light the way.

A metaphor for the human experience? Possibly. As the Ram Daas saying goes, “We’re all just walking each other home.”

The clothes were tattered and worn, with jeans and plaid trousers slashed all the way down the legs, a blush satin slip ripped into strips, and tailoring deliberately mended with sparkling threads.

The spiky rubber clogs and boots could be the next must-have fugly footwear. DIY knit balaclavas, upcycled biker jacket bonnets and twisted wire crown headpieces abounded. Hand-knit striped scarves dangled from cuffs and dragged on the ground.

It was like a school play in the best — and worst — way.

Afterward, the models made their way outside to a blue sand courtyard set for a bohemian banquet with cakes, grapes and Champagne. One woman jumped up on the table and started posing in her creamy slipdress pinned at the sides, her rubber cowboy boot crushing an aluminum ashtray.

Risso has developed an enviable community of collaborators, or “interpreters,” as he called them. And it turns out they codesigned the collection, bringing meaningful pieces from their own wardrobes to wear with the Marni pieces. Risso himself wore a tailcoat that belonged to his grandfather, along with a hand-knit scarf and horned crown.

“I love this mutual sharing of these objects, it creates this fragile armor. Things that are there in our wardrobe that we wear with such pride because they become the meaning of who we are. Sometimes we forget about them, but I get fascinated about how each person brought with them stories,” he said, keying into the season’s theme of DIY self-expression. “There’s a lot of mending, and bringing emotions and a sense of time to pieces. It’s the opposite of making something cold and dry and detached, it unities us in how we make it together.”

The virtues of co-creation, treasuring what you have instead of always running to the new and being yourself in your clothes could be the path to fashion enlightenment. If only it didn’t take so long to get there.
WWD

That sounds like the most pretentious pile of crap for a show.

The way the clothes look, the models and the attitude makes me despise this kind of person. A group of self described artistic prodigies who believe they're the future of the scene, looking to abolish the elitism by being exceptionally elitist themselves. I hate this place...

All the Marni clients, at least from my experience from talking to them, have migrated to brands like Bottega Veneta, Prada, and Plan C - the brand of Consuelo's daughter Carolina. In saying that, there is indeed a big gap in the market for that "old" Marni aesthetic. No brand is currently designing with that aesthetic? There is an opportunity for that whole Milan-art-gallerist design vibe to make a comeback IMO.
i believe lucinda chambers' colville is actually doing this, but i don't think people are paying much attention to them

I love Plan C. I don’t buy it a lot but it’s a brand I follow.
The distribution is very limited tho. In France it’s only at Le Bon Marché.
That being said they are stocked at the best places.

But I feel like they won’t have their momentum until they start doing runway shows. I think the whole would make sense once that happen.

I love Plan C. I don’t buy it a lot but it’s a brand I follow.
The distribution is very limited tho. In France it’s only at Le Bon Marché.
That being said they are stocked at the best places.

But I feel like they won’t have their momentum until they start doing runway shows. I think the whole would make sense once that happen.

The distribution is very limited indeed! Agreed, they should debut at MFW with a show, but I suspect they want to keep it small and intimate probably? It's a shame!

I just, what on earth is happening here. It’s nowhere near the Marni aesthetic at all. I get that each designer sets their pace and vibe but this is bizarre. I really wonder how well these collections sell compared to Castiglionis‘.

The distribution is very limited indeed! Agreed, they should debut at MFW with a show, but I suspect they want to keep it small and intimate probably? It's a shame!

I adore Plan C! The spirit of the original Marni is alive and well in that brand. But honestly, I kinda don't want them to show in fashion week. I am sick and tired of the circus of fashion week - honestly, most of these shows are just big budget productions for social media designed to target the tacky and logo-obsessed. Any brand who shows needs to "scream" in order to get through all that noise.

I suspect the original Marni customer already forms their base, so there's really no need to go and fund an expensive show. I think the Castiglione family purposefully wants to keep the brand small (they don't even want to expand to menswear even though a lot of guys are buying their clothes) and is really just trying to cater to the discreet and real fashion-minded consumer who are similarly fed up with this hullabaloo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->