McQueen vs Cadbury's

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
from the Telegraph:

Alexander McQueen label’s anger over ‘Kate Moss’ Flake advertisement

Alexander McQueen’s fashion label is considering legal action against Cadbury, the confectioner, over a Flake advertisement said to resemble one of the late designer’s most memorable images.

By John Bingham
Published: 8:45AM BST 11 Jun 2010

hologram_1655324c.jpg

Kate Moss Hologram at the Alexander McQueen Autumn/Winter 2006 Paris Fashion Week Photo: WIREIMAGE

The company believes that the advertisement featuring a floating female figure in a yellow dress, too closely mirrors Mr McQueen’s renowned hologram image of the model Kate Moss at a fashion show four years ago.

A swirling, angelic image of the star was beamed over the catwalk in Paris at a time when she was mired in drugs controversy.

It was devised by Mr McQueen and Baillie Walsh, the film maker, who also directed the Flake advertisement.

In the advertisement a young woman is shown floating through the air in a swirling yellow dress, the colour of the Flake wrapper, shaped like the chocolate bar itself.
The similarities between the advertisement and the catwalk stunt caused outrage among fans of Mr McQueen’s work on the internet.
A spokesman for the label told The Independent that it was seeking legal advice on the issue.
But Cadbury insisted that there had been no deliberate attempt to ape the Kate Moss hologram.
A spokesman said: “There was not a deliberate effort, but the director has a particular house style, it was his work which attracted us.
“It is the same director and it is his particular house style.”
The company said it wanted to convey the “subtlety and delicacy” of the chocolate bar and hopes it will prove as memorable as its earlier advertisement’s featuring a woman eating a Flake in a bath.
“It really is time to move on from the image of the lady in the bath,” the spokesman said.
“They really don’t mean much to women today.”
Mr McQueen, 40, took his own life in February this year after being overwhelmed with grief at the loss of his mother.

What I find utterly disgusting is that they copied it to the point of the DRESS! Its an utter and complete ripoff! :angry:

It definitely is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame Kraft. Those stupid b*stards are ruining the best chocolate in the world. I HATE YOU KRAFT.

Isn't the girl in the Cadbury ad wearing Alexander McQueen's Oyster dress from SS03?

as soon as i saw a picture of this the other day i knew it would cause trouble, its too similar to the McQueen hologram
McQueen should definitely sue them over this

Somehow I find the title is quite funny for me :lol:
Now I really want to try the chocolate.

smh, i don't understand how companies think they can get away with stuff like this

This is ridiculous! It is too similar to the McQueen hologram to be allowed on an advertisement.

yes they are similar and i think both are beautifully made.
i am as a huge fans of McQueen do feel kinda sad more than angry because the fact that Lee has left us is what made us feel this way. i kinda want the legendary holographic thing would be only his. to see it on a chocolate tv commercial is kind of a degrade to me, it's like seeing a similar classic chanel bag sold in walmart
it's kinda hard to judge too because they are made by the same director, we don't know their creative process till the holographic idea was produced. we don;t know how each contribute to that idea

oh wow i finally saw the Cadbury's advert :lol: yeah seems like a rip-off

I was literally just thinking about this Cadbury comparison when watching this, possibly because of the focus on clothing in the advert, when I saw this.

Bailey's advert (0:46):

McQueen A/W 03-04 (2:26)

This is making me feel so conflicted because I absolutely love Cadbury's chocolate, haha.

I was literally just thinking about this Cadbury comparison when watching this, possibly because of the focus on clothing in the advert, when I saw this.

The staircase moment reminds me of the finale at Chanel Couture Spring Summer 2006 (18:50 in the video) -

Uhh, now I'm totally dying for a Flake bar. I used to eat those things like crazy when I was studying abroad in London. The advert reminded me how delish they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->