Men In Skirts

No,no no. Unless you're a Scot, a Pacific Islander and some Muslim cultures, its wrong. The merging of genders is just getting ridiculous these days. Besides, men's legs were designed for pants...ahem. :rolleyes:

:lol: I came terribly close to buying a tartan kilt and matching trouser set during a Versus sale. What drew me to it was the effortless and masculine look about it. And that it looked stunning as a formal look.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with men wearing shirts, but I'll agree that some of these outfits on this page alone are a bit much. Especially that Versace one - way too feminine for my liking.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with men wearing shirts
they can't go around shirtless all the time! :brows::lol:

Mel is making me feel bad for actually liking men's legs....

Dries' skirts look amazing. I think there has to be something a bit more structured happening somewhere (top or bottom) so it looks fine. Either way, I don't care, it comes down to the right person.. like most things. But that Versace skirt... that looks like an irreversible.. turn of events (hello, the danish girl? lol).

This here be how a Mon be wearin a skirt ye Sassanachs! :Pink:

Det Is Maiden har talt:lol:

Comme des Garçons Homme Plus Spring 2017

vogue.com

Look like a casual look heading to a sunday market or something. The thought of thinking how "common people" it looks, feels radical.

The beautiful Thamanyah fall 2012
thisheartsonfire.com

I am not serious about it, but I actually wanted to try on a skirt as a fashion experiment. I'd have to find a skirt with about my waist size or whatever women's size is equal to my men's waist size (if there is a such thing). But again- I'm not serious about wanting to go about trying to find a skirt to wear. Heck, I even entertained the thought of if I'd wear a dress. And if I did, it would probably be a shirt dress. Then maybe take on a maxi dress or something.

I can still somewhat see skirts for men as an acceptable reality. However, there are too many barriers in this actually coming true for us hommes in today's society.

^mm shirt-dress sounds nice :blush:

Agree with the last part--but! Let's talk about where it could happen. Japan definitely. London? France is more conservative, I think? But maybe a dress is better. Germany.. Finland.. New York I have seen high heels on men. I have seen skirts in Canada too but it has generally been a special occasion.

Comme des Garçons Homme Plus Spring 2017

vogue.com

Look like a casual look heading to a sunday market or something. The thought of thinking how "common people" it looks, feels radical.

The print reminds me of Georgia O'Keeffe's clouds.

Kilts and Utilikilts are a reality right now. Other skirts, wraps seem to be fairly common? In which case there's probably not a waist size per se.

It would be nice to see someone like Pharrell Williams trying this ...

A man-skirt, in athleisure form. Maybe Jordan Catalano can make this work..but maybe not. (src: elle.com)

55026e746a3da_-_jared-leto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned a shirt dress because they aren't overly feminine. These are essentially very long shirts. They can be like some proper shirts or even T-shirt dresses. I am even including long lounging T-shirts as part of the discussion. These shirt dresses can be fairly basic for anyone not too confident to wear a skirt or a dress. So that's why I mentioned shirt dresses as an option for us hommes if not as confident wearing any more feminine skirts or dresses. There were some another kinds of dresses I kind of thought of for males who maybe want to try dresses- a homme could look at a tennis dress or (if you're familiar with this sport) netball dresses. These are also not seriously feminine.

And if you ask me, there is no shame in wearing a skort. Skorts are very much great to wear whether wearing a fashionable one or an athletic skort. Most of all- you're covered! Skorts kind of get a bad rap kind of like rompers/playsuits in the sense of some people thinking rompers are only for babies and children. They still aren't a bad option for any homme looking to wear any kind of skirt or dress.

When I mention skirts and dresses as reality, I mention this as the ultimate goal is to see if us Americans here will be as accepting of males wearing skirts and/or dresses. Seeing it as a reality of something outside of novelty is what I am looking at. At the least, some simple jean skirts por hommes will be a good start. So too would be (I'll admit) the different utility kilts. A stylish option to me would be skirts that flare outward on the way down, kind of like mermaid skirts. They would be like the skirt alternative to bell bottom jeans/pants.

Moral of this post... there are options for skirts for males. Only question is, can they become an acceptable reality with little or no backlash or qualms wearing them? I actually want to see these as a reality for any males who dare wear a skirt and/or a dress. It's going to take some time and some differences in opinion for them to be truly acceptable.

I'm not too sure on Rick's take on this look, but he's not really my cup'a tea anyways, so there ya go. (src: tfs the buzz pg)

Last edited by a moderator:
CdG, c. 2009 (src: pinterest via trendhunter)
219a3cf84ad5e321e40cb6b486f007c3.jpg

This one, I like. Pringle of Scotland, FW10 (src: MTV Canada)
PringleOfScotland.jpg

I think it's great Why not? People should be allowed to express themselves and their gender however they want.

High slit polka dot

Les Hommes ss 07
PNgH2EP.gif

Fashion Channel @ Youtube

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"