Men's Jewelry

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!!

Merged with existing thread.

You can discuss it right here ... if you have something your'd like to share, please post it here and get this old conversation started again. (Of course, as disallowed in all of our forums, you may not promote your own line or site, if you have one).

Discuss it where?

Discuss it where?

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!!

Merged with existing thread.

You can discuss it right here ... if you have something your'd like to share, please post it here and get this old conversation started again. (Of course, as disallowed in all of our forums, you may not promote your own line or site, if you have one).

Right in this thread (which is a discussion) with posts just like the two you already made when you asked your questions. I was inviting you to add more content to this existing thread about the topic you are interested in ... men's jewelry.

That's how it works on the Fashion Spot ... members start the discussions (threads) about any fashion related topics that they would like to discuss and hopefully other members will join in to discuss it with them.

So ... if you have another specific question about jewelry or would like to post pictures of jewelry that you like, please do it right here and see if other members will join the discussion. :flower:

To get this started again, and to invite discussion, I am posting an article, albeit a year old, but it's talking about the whole retail sector and attitudes about men's jewelry which has been changing and I think it's still relevant:

Source: Business of Fashion
Once the domain of rock stars and royals, men’s jewellery has become an increasingly dynamic and valuable market.

LONDON, United Kingdom — In the 12 months ending May 2014, sales of men’s accessories grew 9 percent, reaching $13.6 billion and capping a two-year period that saw the category grow 13 percent, according to market research company NPD Group. Ecce Homo! The much-anticipated growth in the men’s accessories market is here. And jewellery has emerged as a crucial category.

Mining growth

“Our men’s jewellery business is a key growth area in what has become an overarching strategy for Barneys to grow the men’s accessories business. The new-found interest in men’s jewellery is a lasting trend; I see growth potential and a need to continue to challenge our buyers to find new and exclusive designs to satisfy demand from this sophisticated consumer,” said Tom Kalenderian, executive vice president and general merchandise manager at Barneys New York.

Indeed, the opportunity in men’s jewellery has not gone unnoticed by the industry’s biggest brands. Bottega Veneta, Saint Laurent, Versace and Givenchy, in particular, have made forays into the category in recent years.

“A lot of the big brands have realized they do need accessories and jewellery alongside their clothing — and also to accessorise their shops,” explained Robert Tateossian, chief executive of London-based jewellery brand Tateossian, founded in 1990 and now available in 71 countries at over 1000 points of sale. “We [provide private label for] Zegna, Canali, Gieves & Hawkes, and then we also do most of the department stores like Harrods and Saks.”

Independent labels are also seizing the opportunity. “We have experienced double-digit year-on-year growth in our men's business since it launched in 2002, but this growth has accelerated over the past three years,” said Courtney Crangi, chief executive and co-owner of Giles & Brother, an accessibly-priced costume and silver jewellery brand, based in New York. “There are a lot of brands doing work within a similar price point and with a similar attitude, and I know that there are more everyday. The market is expanding really rapidly… People are just buying more and more jewellery,” added Philip Crangi, co-owner and creative director of Giles & Brother.

“Our jewellery business has grown exponentially and we are forecasting continued growth in the coming year,” agreed Simon Spiteri, head accessories buyer at luxury men’s e-tailer Mr Porter.

Shifting social attitudes

The expansion reflects growing social acceptance of men’s jewellery. “If you go back 15 to 20 years, the only men who were wearing jewellery were pretty much rock stars and other musicians; heavy chains and big rings, that whole Chrome Hearts look. The shift that we gradually started seeing, probably because of the rise of the metrosexual man, was that it became acceptable for men who are not rock stars to start wearing jewellery,” said Tateossian.

“I think, in the mid-1990s, we saw the beginnings of a rise with the influence of music culture; hip-hop and rock played a huge part in this. It was also born out of the rise of celebrity culture, with influencers such as David Beckham having a notable impact on the way men dress. He’s a huge advocate of accessorising and this ultimately filtered through to the consumer,” added Spiteri.

Bracelets, bracelets, bracelets

In recent years, men’s buying habits have also moved well beyond the traditional confines of the category, namely watches, wedding bands and cufflinks. “The business of men’s jewellery went dormant post-1970s; the Wall Street power dressing trend was more buttoned-up. What [we see] today is men’s newfound passion for wearing jewellery again as a means of personal expression,” said Kalenderian.

Nowhere has this passion been more evident than on men’s wrists. “Bracelets, bracelets, bracelets, piled up on wrists evoking memories of distant travels to exotic vacations. Today, this newfound comfort level for men to wear their style on their sleeve is infectious,” added Kalenderian.

“With bracelets it started with rock and roll, only heavy bracelets, then it became leather and silver and very little thin bands, and then elastic bands that are always linked to a charity, like LiveAid, etcetera. Now you see a wide array of bracelets. You can go into Zara and there is a wide selection of bracelets against the wall, or you can go into a designer shop and you’ll have leather and silver,” explained Tateossian.

“Our accessories category is a big growth area across the board, but over the last few seasons jewellery — more specifically bracelets — has shown huge potential. Jewellery like this used to be more successful in more traditional metals, but now we’re seeing a rise in alternative materials such as leather,” said Spiteri.

“If you measure the growth of bracelet sales in the market — and unfortunately there is no data to support that — I believe you would see it growing by 5 to 7 percent per year. It’s a fashion audience which is much, much bigger than cufflinks, for example,” said Tateossian. “The bracelet has become a different thing; it is a lot more emotional, it means something, it is not just about the value of what you are wearing on your wrist,” he continued.

Indeed, once expressions of status, bracelets have become talismanic expressions of identity, crafted in a variety of materials, to suit every budget. What’s more, the wrist is especially popular, as this part of the body was long ago made safe for accessorizing by the watch. Today, however, men are increasingly buying multiple items — not just a single watch — to outfit their wrists.

“I think of [our consumer] as stacking pieces, so I want to give him something that he can wear with the pieces he already has,” said Crangi. “Our price point is a fairly low price point and I see [our] guy buying multiples and I definitely design to his needs.”

Kalenderian agreed: “Men, who once dabbled in a piece or two, are now collecting jewellery and mixing pieces. Multiple layers of bracelets and mixing charms on chains and cord necklaces are emerging as a new trend and interest in [men’s] jewellery.”

“I think men are more open to owning a variety of pieces, not just one piece they wear for all occasions, so they are buying more,” said Michael Saiger, founder and creative director of Miansai. Founded in 2008, the Miami-based bracelet brand is known for its anchor motifs and clasps, has a retail presence in 36 countries and has expanded into leather goods and watches. “I think things like men’s necklaces and rings are categories that we will see grow,” added Saiger.

Growth across segments

As well as buying more jewellery overall, men also are willing to spend more per piece. “With all the attention to the category, the perception has really changed. Men see jewellery as an extension of their style, like a watch, so they are willing to pay more for the right pieces. We are seeing more customers gravitating towards our cuff styles. They are a bit more substantial, more expensive,” said Saiger.

“We are talking about elevating our price point with materials. Right now, what we do is predominately brass and leather, we do some pieces in silver, we are adding gold into the mix; I think people are ready for that. I think people are starting to want to spend a little bit more on something that has that material value,” said Crangi.

Tateossian has also expanded its top end collection. “Traditionally our bracelet line was always sterling silver, that was the segment I wanted to be in and then at one point I realized, ‘You know what, I am missing out people that want something super expensive and want something with diamonds.’ So we started fragmenting the line, so there is a very small collection which is 18 carat gold and leather and that is a growing segment. We are selling a lot more gold than we ever did before.”

“We are selling more gold and precious stones, but in an understated way,” added Kalenderian. “The Barneys men’s jewellery client is more likely to opt for black diamonds or matte finished stones surrounded by hammered and oxidized metals; bling without the bling. The collectability certainly indicates that medium price points are the growth area, but as collectors become more sophisticated, they experiment with some precious metals and stones.”

Brands are betting on growth at the lower end of the market as well. “Similarly, we went down a notch and introduced a line called RT by Tateossian, which is non-silver, instead we use aluminium,” said Tateossian. “You have a younger audience picking that up, so depending on your age, depending on your income, you can go in and pick whatever suits your pocket.”

A ceiling well below the women’s market

Though the men’s jewelley market is growing, “it will never equal women’s jewellery,” said Crangi. “It sort of turns sexual politics on its head when you look at it; men are much, much fussier than women about their jewellery. You need to woo them and convince them it is a safe place. Women are much freer about it. They are used to transforming themselves and presenting themselves in different contexts, men are not so fluid,” he continued.

“This category will never equate to the market for women,” echoed Tateossian. “To give you an example, last week, I happened to sit next to one of the biggest entrepreneurs in the world of retail. He owns every brand you can imagine. I asked if I could see what cufflinks he was wearing; they were silk knots. The man was worth billions of dollars. There is definitely growth [at the top end of the market], but it will never be the same as it is for women. Even if they are driving a Bentley and wearing a custom made suit that costs $25,000, they are happy to wear silk knots on a day-to-day basis.”

I love this jewelry from Lanvin SS11...one of my favorite menswear collections. A bit too bold for my personal taste, but still visually stunning nonetheless. (src: mjandstuff wordpress)
statement-jewellery-for-men-lanvin-spring-2011-mj-and-stuff.jpg

And this, too. (src: pinterst user Christian rondon)
dc4b1f65b4239fc6c92aea1e5520eecd.jpg

And the textiles! (src: mymanybags blogger)
Lanvin_Fall2011_Mens-3.jpg

The bracelets, I can definitely do. (src: zoccao blogspot)
262171.jpg

262165.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ It’s all so... so... so Conan the Barbarian and Khal Drago LOL

(What a hot couple they’d made BTW…)

the bracelets are not so bad but the necklaces are very Johnny Depp in his current mid-life crisis.. or Mickey Rourke for that matter. I even know the infamous, 90s upper arm chain tattoo (and a flabby arm) is involved. :lol:

But yeah, I'm fascinated by men's jewelry, or the lack of it I guess. I like it when men wear something, especially rings.. or bracelets.. anything really, as long as it's good.

When I think of Conan & Khal Drago, I think of all the mens jewelry I'm seeing that looks like it was carved from stone..bracelets, rings, necklaces, even cufflinks. Definitely a style I can do without.
This was always a favorite piece of mine from Shaun Leane. Still kicking myself for not picking it up at the old Atelier in NY. (src: shaunleane.com)
1a30dfbc38b32938881fa98a36a36923--shaun-leane-men-bracelets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since I was little and was mesmerized by Madonna’s gauntlet of black rubber bracelets in her “Lucky Star” video (which remains by far to me her best video to this day), I’ve always worn my leather and silver bracelets in multiples and stacked/intertwined/wrapped over my watch. I don’t care for rings, necklaces and I despise piercings, but luxury leather and silver bracelets… my Kryptonite… and I don’t mean the tacky ones from McQueen or Balenciaga: They are so ugly and cheap-looking I wouldn’t put them on my squirrel.

(Just have to keep myself in check and make sure I don’t OD on the leather/silver. Johnny Depp is a constant reminder to me on exactly how not not not to wear jewelry— and dress.)

Johnny Depp, for me, is a constant reminder to stop smoking, and bathe daily. I don't know why, but he just strikes me as a man who smells.

I do like the black leather + silver combo in jewelry. My ex had a gorgeous Balenciaga watch that featured a big black cuff, with a big silver case, but the face was so tiny that nobody could ever tell the time with it. Totally impractical, but damn fine.

I've seen this Goti bracelet floating around online for a while now. This, I say Yes to. But now reading "Johnny Depp" in this thread, I might have to say No to..thanks. (src: farfetch.com)

a15ff2344d445cdd80df7fdb48a8edf1--men-bracelets-chain-bracelets.jpg

This one from Werkstatt Munchen, who I think did Ann's jewelry, is also pretty pretty. (src: farfetch.com)
12172389_10431804_255.jpg

This is pretty cool, but I prefer the Givenchy version better.
(src: zanabayne.com)
cuff-1_1024x1024.jpg

I suspect he’s an Italian horse bath-type: Get a whiff of that BO mingling with smell of stale cigarettes and the expensive scent… Yum....

Those Goti designs always remind me of summer camp projects with those powdery-tasting, pastel-color candy… Zana’s structured cuffs are more along my preference— but this particular one is a tad too literal with the huge silver hardware; Although I do like the idea that my pieces can double as an accoutrement of sort when it comes to those spontaneous sexy times in the car, I don’t want people to think just left a dungeon… I still have my Tom Ford for Gucci Japanese bondage bracelet from whenever that collection was from— although it’s a pain to secure the straps since there are no fasteners. I’m tempted to have them customized with some simple buckles…

Chrome Hearts was a label that made some impressive leather/silver pieces back in the day… But I’m still itching for the OG Helmut Lang handcuff bracelet.

Chrome Hearts never piqued my interest. The chunkiness of it, I liked, but at the end of the day, it seemed like jewelry for really fashion-forward Harley-riders..or Karl. How any of that culminated in a Chrome Hearts hoodie in my closet at one point is beyond me.

Sexy-time? How about a pair of silver cufflinks that double as a restraining device? (src: betonyvernon.com)

BV-Still0615.jpg

Brings new meaning to the term "hand-crafted." (src: betonyvernon.com
betony-vernon_sperm_race_set_worn.jpg

I remember when Gucci/Tom had a split crucifix necklace in their store here. That was nice, but I think a split-boot necklace speaks to me more, from Tobias Wistisen. (src: waitfashion.com)

22-519x411.jpg

The idea of those cufflinks are just awesome… if only they were a leather bracelet/cuff with chunkier “cuff” hardware that can take some real abuse.... I can’t wear delicate things-- nor use delicate things.

Yes LOL Chrome Hearts just screams Slash/Lenny Kravitz/Karl riding Harleys down Malibu on their shopping trip to Maxfield (Karl would likely be strapped tightly behind Lenny since I don’t see him having the physical strength to steer a hog, of which I’m sure he would be in heaven holding on to Lenny like that…) CH pieces are nice though-- even if they're too froufrou for my sensibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->