Men's Pants - best style?

eloes

Reaction score
I was with my brother the other day when he was shopping for pants and he asked me about some of the styles that he tried on. I really didn't know how to answer him when he asked about a pair of flat-fronted khakis versus pleated (not a ton of pleats, but some). I told him to go with whichever he felt most comfortable in because he obviously liked the pleated and I didn't know which to choose.

Anyway, I would never wear pleated pants personally, but I am female. My brother is almost 21 and in college, and I was wondering whether you thought that pleated pants (ie khakis) were appropriate for someone his age. Men, would you wear pleats or flatfronts? Is one a fashion faux pas or are both considered viable options?

Definitely flat front. Nothing worse than seeing a map with pleated pants... and he's got a bulgy croth/hip area...

ew.

That's what I was thinking (only I was thinking 'math teacher') but I thought that maybe I was biased because I've only seen adults wearing pleated pants or something...I don't know. :wacko: I didn't like what he tried on, but he obviously did and would have bought it anyway...gah. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by wyatt.@Nov 8 2004, 09:45 PM
pleats are not for anyone under 51
[snapback]423999[/snapback]​
So suits aren't either? :innocent:

Pleats are hideous and completely unnessecery

I like flat front, but pleats are sneaking back onto the scene. I don't like pleats because of the bulging effect they create.

definitely flat front. I hate seeing young guys wearing pleated-front trousers. it's really unflattering and too post middle-aged yuppie-ish. but like faust pointed out, they are slowly sneaking their way back into the scene. I saw a girl the other day wearing a pair of pleated men's trousers, low slung. she had a quirky enough style that she pulled it off okay, but I just don't like them for anyone, male or female.

Well, most suits come with pleated pants, and you need to be long and lean to pull them off. Khakis are a different story - pleated khakis are horrible. But pleated pants with a suit jacket are fine.

Pleated pants remind me of my dad, and despite the fact that he is about to turn 60..I'm still working on him to get him to convert to flats !

I've never really thought hard about this topic, but I've always opted for no pleats.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 9 2004, 05:37 PM
Pleated look fine if they're well cut...
[snapback]425123[/snapback]​

I agree. I have mainly flat front trousers, however the right cut and form can look good pleated.

Originally posted by Vinniccio@Nov 9 2004, 05:48 PM
I agree. I have mainly flat front trousers, however the right cut and form can look good pleated.
[snapback]425147[/snapback]​

Yeah. I think most people don't like them because if they don't fit perfectly they make you look like Long-schlong Silver (pardon my French...)...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 9 2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah. I think most people don't like them because if they don't fit perfectly they make you look like Long-schlong Silver (pardon my French...)...
[snapback]425156[/snapback]​

LOL! :lol:

I'm going to take an unpopular stance but I do not like flat front pants...they just don't drape properly and IMO don't look as elegant. I also don't like what we all think of pleated pants to be (think Haggar or something else)...these pants are usually double, triple or quadruple pleated to hide the bellies of most men. My solution, and I've seen a lot of brands turn to this is single pleated flat front pants.....it's almost like having a crease in flat front pants....no ugly billowing at the waist but having the nice draping effect of pleated pants....:smile:

on suits i like pleated. it just looks more elegant. 2 on each side is fine. well, pleats only if your in shape and don't have a gut. i think you can get away with them on chinos sometimes

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 10 2004, 12:37 AM
Pleated look fine if they're well cut...
[snapback]425123[/snapback]​
I completely agree, and I honestly don’t understand people’s aversion to pleats. If done right it can look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->