'i don't like pants' ny times article

I think true liberation is when we can wear what we want without being judged by everyone else for our choices...

There's nothing wrong with dressing nicely when we feel like it and dressing down when we feel like it. That being said, there are some places where it is important to look presentable, simply because you're representing something. But that idea in itself is sort of confining, why should appearance dictate who we are. It's not a crime not to care, nor is it a crime to care a lot. But I suppose it matters when you're presenting an image for other people because then it's a demonstration of respect?

Either way, I wear pants when I want to. I wear dresses and skirts when I want to. People can say what they want, but ultimately it's what I feel like. Although I do get comments when I'm dressed in my gym stuff... Only because people aren't so used to how sloppy I can be. Jeans are best though when they're about a size too large and a bit baggy. It's sloppy but it feels so much nicer than having to feel my jeans right next to my skin. Plus it gives me so much movement room, it's almost as nice as wearing a floaty skirt.

I like dressing up for men. :ninja: But it's my own choice and that's the way it should be!

I wish Torontonians dressed better in general but that's a different topic.

I wish I could wear more dresses and skirts, but with my height and my size, it is very difficult to find something that fits and that is before I even get into talking about the styles of dresses and skirts I see here in Canada... I simply don't like the style that dominates all the stores.

I would also love to be able to live in the type of climate where I can wear dresses and skirts all the time (though keeping the hair on my legs away would be an annoying chore). I love being able to get dressed so quickly and easily and to feel so light. It makes me happy. I hate it when I have to put on so many layers before I can even step out the door. It makes me feel irritable and suffocated. I would still wear trousers in a warmer place, but only the ones with light material and I probably wouldn't have as many jeans as I do (depending on the clothes available in the country).

Here in Canada, I can't wear many trousers that are more lady-like unless I always wear heels or get them altered (I need to switch to flats every now and then, especially in the winter). The only trousers I really have left to wear are tacky embroidered jeans aimed at teenagers. That is all that fits and I don't have to get them altered as you can fold up jeans and it does not always look stupid.

I hate looking like I am only 15, but since the fashion industry here believes petite people are only teenagers or old ladies - and I'm more suited to looking 5 or so years younger than 50 years older - I don't have much of a choice.

"...but since the fashion industry here believes petite people are only teenagers or old ladies..."

No kidding, I find it hard to find clothes too. My wardrobe seems to alternate between teenager-ish and stuff that makes me look like I'm at least 35 and work in an office. I'm 24 and barely out of school, I might even be going back. There's nothing for someone my age that fits. The best strategy I've found is to mix stuff from the two categories and get something in between. :lol:

^ I just try to find things in Asian malls. There are a few mature, but not too mature, clothes there. They are still too long even though the majority of the women there are my height or smaller, though.

Another thing I do is, when I go back to Europe (usually the UK and Spain) I bring an empty suitcase and go on a huge shopping spree. :lol: In the UK you can get more petite things that don't look old or teenager-like (though I find sometimes their petite trouser length is too short for me even though I'm 5'2"). In Spain many women are short like me so instead of only finding clothes for teenagers and the elderly, you get the whole spectrum.

since arriving in america i've put on so much weight i can't wear my jeans. i only wear tights since april 07. i do have a beautiful pair of 18th amendment jeans though. cost me an arm and a leg. even though i prefer tights and i've worn them for many years, i would definitely wear my jeans if i could fit them again!

i am weirdly wanting to wear pants lately...
:ninja:...

i think it has to do with not wanting to wear tights for some reason...
maybe because EVERYONE is wearing tights and boots..
*which is my usual uniform...

it's kinda weird though....:unsure:...

Recently I'm the opposite. I'm use to sticking to dressy pants and a top when I'm more dressed up but I'm sick of it and I want to enjoy wearing dresses more often and I have. I'm a girl and I enjoy it no matter what I wear, but I really want to wear dresses and skirts more often now. I've stuck to pants long enough.

I like dressing up for men. :ninja: But it's my own choice and that's the way it should be!

I wish Torontonians dressed better in general but that's a different topic.

In my ideal world, I would be wearing dresses and skirts ALL the time.
But sadly, I'm stuck in jeans most of the time just because it's so cold outside. Toronto weather is incredibly restrictive!
I just had a huge argument with my bf yesterday because he's insisting that I should buy a pair of quality dress pants to wear at special occasions in the winter. He thinks they look flattering and sophisticated. I, on the other hand, abhor dress pants...imho they're the most unshapely & masculine things in the world. I'm so tempted to print out this thread and tack it on his front door. :doh:

Very interesting article! i cant believe it took me 6 months to find it... id love to be wearing skirts and dresses so much more as well but its a bit hard having to perfect the wax/shave everytime. That is honestly what bugs me the most...how lazy

haha too true! Sorry im in summer mode so that didnt even pop into my head!

interesting article and responses. thanks for posting.
despite the cold (well, cold for California) i've been wearing nothing but skirts and dresses, always with tights. i occasionally wear my skinnies, but only when i'm feeling lazy or haven't done laundry. that whole infinite priority of finding the "right" pair of jeans just doesn't feel worth it anymore. there are so many factors involved that it becomes too fussy and time consuming.

i am definitely seeing a LOT more women in skirts/dresses than pants these days...
even with the cold weather...

i have to admit that they look really good...

and still...
i just bought 2 pairs of pants today...:doh:...

:innocent:...

At my old work place, I worked with mostly men and always felt a bit uncomfortable wearing skirts and dresses ... I didn't like that feeling of being oogled everytime I did. But at my new office, there are a lot more women, and I've been wearing dresses and skirts almost everyday. It's so liberating, being able to dress for myself and not worry about not being taken seriously just because I'm wearing a skirt.

Its so true about the workplace.. I find that as soon as you put on a feminine dress or a pencil skirt i get soooooo many more compliments from men. I really think it has to do with the 'primal' thing or whatever you may call, simply because men dont wear them.

^ very true, I definitely get more compliments and comments by men. But it's not necessarily the kind of attention I'm looking for at work ...

I've also gained a little bit a weight in the past few months, and some of my pants no longer fit ... yet I have no problem with any of my dresses or skirts. They are just so easy, in terms of fit

yeah i agree with you about the kind of attention. But at the same time i think that as long as the length is not short I think its fine. I guess its a fine line between too much and not enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turnipcookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->