Men's VOGUE Sept/Oct 2006 : Sen. Barack Obama

madmagazine

Reaction score
As the midterm elections approach, Sen. Barack Obama talks more openly than ever about the possibility of a White House run in a first-ever formal magazine interview with Jacob Weisberg for the September/October cover of Men's Vogue.

Accompanied by intimate photos of his family shot by famous photographer Annie Leibovitz, Obama identifies with presidents of the past and reflects on how he has arrived at the completion of two books.

"If you read Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson -- I'm not Johnson, but I'm fascinated by him -- there's a piece of him in me," Obama told Weisberg. "That kind of hunger -- desperate to win, please, succeed, dominate -- I don't know any politician who doesn't have some of that reptilian side to him. But that's not the dominant part of me. On the other hand, I don't know that it was the dominant part of (someone like Lincoln). This guy was pretty reflective."

Weisberg explored how Obama's role as a writer distinguishes him as a political figure and how such intellectual charge may propel him to a much higher office.

"When you start writing you are able to discern where you're being false, where you're using cliches, where you're manufacturing emotion that's not really there, or where you're shying away from something that isn't necessarily flattering," Obama told Vogue.

Too candid to deny that he's thinking about the presidency, Obama said, "Look, it was highly unlikely that I would ever be a U.S. senator, so it's very flattering for people to talk about a presidential race. My attitude about something like the presidency is that you don't want to just be the president, you want to change the country. You want to make a unique contribution. You want to be a great president."

NBC5 dot com

Attachments

• Men'sVogue2006.jpg
    Men'sVogue2006.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 261
mmm sounds like an interesting read. The cover though...too much writing and what is with the horrible font for the word 'men's'. ugh.

I have to give it up to Men's Vogue for the actual men they've put on the cover: George Clooney, the guy who plays golf who's name I just forgot...(completely forgot), and Barack Obama ( who I sorta have a crush on :blush: ). :woot:

I just hope the Anne Leibovitz edit. is the least bit interesting- the cover is extremely disappointing. :angry:

^Tiger Woods is the guy who plays golf. :lol:

I love the cover choices, but usually the inside of the mag is just so boring.

Oh i like this and it does sound like an interesting read,specially the kind i like!
I think the cover is Ok,i mean what are they supposed to do with the U.S Senator on the cover:blush: ?Put him in speedos?:D :lol: :P

Interesting cover choice. I like that they're devling a bit into politics... you know, choosing a polition for the cover... that's somewhat intelligent... it's something that Vogue wouldn't do. I'm mixed... I like the smarter reads, but I also enjoy the fashion. :unsure:

This was a really good issue - I got it on Monday :D Mr. Obama is my own senator, and the feature on him was very well written! Here's an unprofessional review :lol:

Lots of ads/style articles
A special 8-page editorial/feature article on James Blake
A couple of short biographies of Fabien Cousteau, an Oceanographer; George P. Bush, nephew of GWB
Eva Green article (Upcoming Bond girl, after all)
Interview with author Robert Hughes, who had a brush with death a while back in a car accident
Very nice feature on Mr. Obama and his work
Some architecture stuff
Aaron Eckhart article/editorial where he poses with model Angela Lindvall:

Scanned by me

Men's Vogue is going bi-monthly, so on the cover it actually says that it's the Sept/Oct issue :smile:

No idea about what is "Sen. Barack Obama,"
ugly cover as usual, I shoudn't have click this thread...

Faith Akiyama said:
This was a really good issue - I got it on Monday :D Mr. Obama is my own senator, and the feature on him was very well written! Here's an unprofessional review :lol:

Lots of ads/style articles
A special 8-page editorial/feature article on James Blake
A couple of short biographies of Fabien Cousteau, an Oceanographer; George P. Bush, nephew of GWB
Eva Green article (Upcoming Bond girl, after all)
Interview with author Robert Hughes, who had a brush with death a while back in a car accident
Very nice feature on Mr. Obama and his work
Some architecture stuff
Aaron Eckhart article/editorial where he poses with model Angela Lindvall:

Scanned by me

Men's Vogue is going bi-monthly, so on the cover it actually says that it's the Sept/Oct issue :smile:

Dear Faith! Thanks for scanning the lovely Matthias Vriens pics! and for the nice review!

Faith Akiyama said:
This was a really good issue - I got it on Monday :D Mr. Obama is my own senator, and the feature on him was very well written!

I hear that!! :heart: Oh, I but I guess you mean your actual Senator in political terms :wink:

I got this issue for my overly metro boyfriend but I am pretty much the only one reading it and so far not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're actually brave enough to think they're gonna sell enough copies in two months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->