Nails and Nail Polish Advice

Reaction score
I thought this would be a good idea because the nail polish threads are all about posting colours, identifying colours and brands (or close matches) and posting photos of new nail polishes from people's favourite brands. Whenever anyone asks for help with something else to do with nails or nail polish, no one replies and only more pictures are posted. This is why I wanted to make this thread: a place specifically for advice on nails and nail polish that is not to do with colours. So this excludes questions such as, 'Which brand carries a nail polish colour like this?' since those are covered by the nail polish threads.

If anyone is looking for advice, wants to help others or feels they have found a great tool/treatment/something else that's worth sharing with everyone, please feel free to post it here. :flower:

great thread Eurasian Mélange
My nails are killing me, they're always flaking :angry:

Thanks, loonaka. :flower: I hope people will make use of it.

I hate it when mine flake. I almost always have it on my right thumb. If it's small enough I try to file the whole nail down to get rid of that part. Sometimes I also file, buff and smooth on top of the nail in that tiny section so the flaking part comes off completely and there are no other splits on the surface that can get caught on hairs or fabric. It doesn't look pretty, but I usually paint my nails anyway... in which case you can't tell it's ugly. :lol:

I know, I usually always wear nail polish, but I don't always have the time to do it so some days my nails are like half covered and shabby :rofl: I think my nails gets worse during winter because now they're in a really bad state. Like on three or 4 nails half of the nail is missing...flaked off, never to be seen again :ninja: I have no idea what to do about them..I've tried oils and different strengtheners but they've all failed to show real results

Well, according to this site I found, sudden climate change can affect your nails:

http://www.articlesbase.com/cosmeti...heres-8-reasons-why-its-happening-562964.html

At the bottom of that article, it also says that strengtheners might make it worse. Maybe just an extremely hydrating moisturiser and gloves are what will help? I've always found shea and cocoa butter to be the most moisturising, but I do not know if nails absorb those well or not.

Well, according to this site I found, sudden climate change can affect your nails:

http://www.articlesbase.com/cosmeti...heres-8-reasons-why-its-happening-562964.html

At the bottom of that article, it also says that strengtheners might make it worse. Maybe just an extremely hydrating moisturiser and gloves are what will help? I've always found shea and cocoa butter to be the most moisturising, but I do not know if nails absorb those well or not.
I'm addicted to hand lotion:ninja: and I know I should wear gloves when it's this cold outside, but I can't work my itouch with gloves:innocent:

I guess the image that I posted is deleted?? it was just a vitamin called skin,nails and hair. I did not tend to offer drugs:smile: my nails always flaking too and it's been months that I used any nail polishes.I'm so fed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can still see your picture bad_seed :flower:
I'm just gonna try not to touch my nails or my finger skin..

I just had my first manicure today and am not used to wearing nail polish. How often to you have a manicure / change your nail polish?

Sorry I couldn't help, Loonaka. :( The only other thing I can suggest are these pills (also for skin, hair and nails) called 'Perfectil'. They are expensive, but I used to take them and my nails did get stronger.

FrenchCactus, I do not know how long a manicure from an expert usually lasts. I always do them myself and I usually have to redo them after about a week. I think a professional manicure would probably last longer, but if your nails grow fast it will start to look silly after a certain amount of time (polish too far away from your cuticles).

Oh that's ok Eurasian Mélange :flower: I just have to try not to touch my nails :ninja:

If I'm good I do my nails once a week, but it all depends of the nail polish, how good it is and also how much I'm picking on it :innocent: I'm very fidgety

You're welcome, FrenchCactus. :smile:

Loonaka, that must be tough to keep reminding yourself not to touch them!

I have one nail that is split at the moment. People always say to paint a tiny piece of toilet paper or tissue on the split (both on top and underneath the nail) with transparent nail polish, but it always splits so close to my nail bed that is impossible. I try to paint over it with nail polish, but eventually it chips off there. Does anyone have any other tips other than chopping the nail off?

Other than chopping the nail off ....no, that's what you got to do :innocent: At least that's the only thing that kinda works for me because I just can't stop myself from touching it and I usually end up hurting my finger :lol:

Isn't there some kind of nail oil or nail strenghtener you can apply directly to the naila? My nails split constantly...they're really thin, but they grow out really fast :doh:

I've tried that yellow oil and different strengtheners but they don't do much for my nails..Tho they got a lot better after my manicure in Korea :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->