Natural clothing dyes

^if you're worried about mordants, there are dyes that don't need mordants
they're called 'substantive dyes'
this is like tea 'staining' and using onion peel and turmeric... don't need no mordant :wink:

wow- i missed this the first time around...
interesting stuff...

i guess wine would make a reasonably good dye...
or any type of grape juice or blueberry juice...etc...

*btw- rit dye does not produce any sort of odor and is not toxic in any way in my experience...
i don't think it would bother a parrot- unless you were planning to DYE the parrot...!!...

:woot:...:wink:
yes wine makes a good dye.
giorgio brato is famous for using it in dyeing his leather.

wine dyed sneakers from harcsa A/W 07
courtesy arthur

2007us03292283gm1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds very interesting! I saw a video on youtube using coffee. i still have to try that out, but wine sounds interesting too! I do have a dress on which I spilled some wine...I never thought to dye it all in.
Great thread!

Beet makes very good dye and it is actually one of the first dye being used in the history

Turmeric is another one of those dyes that have been used for hundreds of years... It's very popular in Asia, particularly India. You might remember that a lot of Buddhist monks have their robes in this yellow :wink: Turmeric is what they use

Here's what a schoolmate of mine did few nights ago
DSCI0001.jpg

We dyed raw silk, wool, linen, nylon and hemp

^nice B)

We just weighed our fabric and the dye amount is 30% of the weight of fabric
You can just guess if you like, and check to see if you're getting the shade you want

We scoured the fabric, boiled some water, put the fabric in the pot with the turmeric... When finished, we soaked it in some water with lemon juice for about half an hour to help fix the colour to the fabric. This is what they say they do in India
In time it will fade though, because turmeric is sensitive to light and alkali (soaps)

haha.. i tried dying my friend's keffiya with coffee yesterday! it did not work?
any sugguestions to what mistake a made?

hmm

maybe it was a synthetic fabric? polyester, etc.

"botanical dyed" cotton stuff from haat (issey miyake inc) S/S 10

it seems that it's possible today for the colors to come out this way.

fashionjp

Attachments

• haat_botanical01.jpg
    haat_botanical01.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuslimHearts
Back