New York City - Topshop

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from today's nytimes...new york gets everything!!!

When it appeared on these shores five years ago, H&M, the Swedish fast-fashion company, whipped up a desire for designer looks at bargain prices. Zara, a Spanish competitor, followed suit with slightly sturdier construction and a higher price point. But not since Paul Revere's famous ride has the news that the British are coming had such import - at least not in fashion circles. Or at the very least not to those who are counting the days until Stella McCartney's one-off collection for H&M lands in stores in November.

Topshop, the retail chain best known for the Oxford Circle shop that attracts thousands of fashion-mad women a day, plans to open a temporary outpost in New York in August, inside the indie boutique Opening Ceremony in SoHo.

Though Topshop has been ahead of the curve in hiring some of London's hottest designers - Sophia Kokosalaki, Hussein Chalayan, Hamish Morrow, Markus Lupfer and Zandra Rhodes - to create exclusive collections for its stores, the company has not kept pace with H&M, which introduced its first such collaboration with Karl Lagerfeld last year.

"We are tremendously interested in the prospect of trading in New York, but we've always been a bit nervous," said Jane Shepherdson, Topshop's brand director. When she was approached by Humberto Leon, a founder of Opening Ceremony, she was intrigued by his idea.

The store, at 35 Howard Street, was conceived to feature the designs of a different place each year - those from Hong Kong, for example, or Britain, as Mr. Leon plans for this fall. The second floor of the shop will be dedicated to pieces from Topshop's Unique collection, which typically includes items like a pleated jersey puff skirt or a pink viscose dress with pockets costing $70 to $125. Among the other British labels that Opening Ceremony expects to stock are Hussein Chalayan, Peter Jensen and Ann-Sofie Back.

The store's concept smacks of the sort of marketing prowess behind the guerrilla concepts of Comme des Garçons, Nike iD and Colette - shops that open for a season or less in an out-of-the-way nook of Berlin or Warsaw and generate excitement by their limited window of existence.

But coming here was really a matter of opportunity, said Ms. Shepherdson, who has elevated Topshop's image from a retailer of junior apparel to a fashion authority, one that draws an international following of Anglophiles who snap up its Union Jack flip-flops and fitted ringer T-shirts with slogans like "I "heart" G.B."

"We will potentially look at other types of retail in the future," Ms. Shepherdson said. "We're dipping our toes in for now, if you will."

I visited the Oxford Circus Top Shop in February and I must say I was not impressed. I don't understand what all the hype is about. They don't have anything there that I couldn't buy in Forever 21, H&M or Zara here in NYC.

kimair said:
from today's nytimes...new york gets everything!!!

:shock: :o

it seems to be true right now..!!.. :lol:

yay!!...:clap:

thanks for posting this kimair...

''Among the other British labels that Opening Ceremony expects to stock are Hussein Chalayan, Peter Jensen and Ann-Sofie Back. ''

british labels??...
excuse me??...:rolleyes:...

wooo hooo ! congrats to all you NCY'ers. enjoy.

I also read that spanish chain Sandro is rolling out across europe. maybe it will be on the NYC list.....

really havnt been too impressed with topshop recently :unsure:
but they will remain a favourite ! :heart:

Next thing you know, they'll be opening up an M&S on 5th Avenue. Chalayan's collaboration with M&S was better than the Topshop one as well...:innocent:

Well good to see cheap British imports going to America instead of us having to put up with Wal Mart and Britney Spears.

aww but u gotta love M&S!! Yeh i havnt been too impressed with their constant 'new vintage' look of late

M&S is great - I agree FFF. I HATE per una but the Limited Collection is pretty nice I think.They could do with getting a decent shoe designer though.....

fab_fifties_fille said:
aww but u gotta love M&S!! Yeh i havnt been too impressed with their constant 'new vintage' look of late

Have ye seen the collaborations by Phillip Treacy, Chalayan, Burro, Timothy Everest (Daks), Julien McDonald (ex-Givenchy) and friends though - it's not bad. And I hear Marksies was in May Vogue... Go the British invasion!

yep it was in may vogue it was sponsoring the 'cheap and chic guide' or something along those lines, they quite often have some nice stuff, and i dont even need to praise cafe revive :wink:

i love how you are so loyal to M&S PoC! The only place in scotland you an get that stuff is Glasgow & I never think its a great selection. where do you get it? the big M&S that had the John Pawson house inside it?

helena said:
i love how you are so loyal to M&S PoC! The only place in scotland you an get that stuff is Glasgow & I never think its a great selection. where do you get it? the big M&S that had the John Pawson house inside it?

M&S hardcore fan in this corner. The Newcastle high-street store seems to stock the decent menswear pieces each season, they don't stock the good womens stuff though. Not many trousers either but they make men's in a minimum of 32" :blink: so I'm not exactly bothered. I've never actually been to the Gateshead store. It's slightly bizarre that Gateshead has a posher store than Newcastle actually...

The Autograph collection isn't hyper-trendy but it's much better made than Topshop...and Zara charges the same prices.

But back to NY:

softgrey said:
''Among the other British labels that Opening Ceremony expects to stock are Hussein Chalayan, Peter Jensen and Ann-Sofie Back. ''

british labels??...
excuse me??...:rolleyes:...

Well, the idea of the store is to stock each season (or year) designers from different countries. First it was Brazil (hence all the Herchevovitch stuff), when we went it was Germany/Austria (Bless, Wendy & Jim, Murkudis) and juxtapose them against the US collections (Cloak, Rachel Comey, etc.). Now it's UK's turn.

yeah...i know faust...
so what's up woth hussein chalayan!?!?...
peter jensen and ann-sophie back...

not british last time i checked...:lol:...

that whole concept was so far-fetched and such a gimmick...
i knew they'd never stick to it..
i mean...who dumps a designer that is selling well?!...
:lol:

softgrey said:
yeah...i know faust...
so what's up woth hussein chalayan!?!?...
peter jensen and ann-sophie back...

not british last time i checked...:lol:...

that whole concept was so far-fetched and such a gimmick...
i knew they'd never stick to it..
i mean...who dumps a designer that is selling well?!...
:lol:

Well, technically they are all part of a London scene, even though the are not British natives...

weak...:lol:...
it's not as if there aren't
TONS of legitimately british designers they could have picked up...

^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppermilk
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->