Nico/Christa Päffgen

Discussion in 'the Art of Noise' started by Estella*, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePrincess

IcePrincess New Member

2. babydoll1125

babydoll1125 Active Member

Thank you IcePrincess! I've been hoping that person would post more clips from Strip-tease only i wish that they would post them in order so we could see the whole movie...

3. gagavision

gagavision New Member

#803 gagavision, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Jul 28, 2007
  4. nicovelvet

nicovelvet New Member

^^Hey, this is nice!

5. babydoll1125

Gagvision that is so sweet of you! It's very beautiful and i'm sure Nico is very pleased!

6. nicovelvet

nicovelvet New Member

Sorry if it is a repost. I just love this photo of Nico: (Source MSN Group CC&I)
    [​IMG]

7. babydoll1125

It's been posted but it's always nice to see it again, she does look beautiful!

8. babydoll1125

New Nico pictures!!

London, 1985. Photographed by Peter Noble
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. babydoll1125

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Performing with Rip, Rig and Panic. May 8th, 1981. Photographed by David Corio
    [​IMG]

Don't know the exact year this was taken
    [​IMG]

10. nicovelvet

nicovelvet New Member

Oh My! Oh My! What beautifull pictures! never saw them before! That is a great birthday present! thank you Babydoll!

11. gagavision

gagavision New Member

großartig.
    (=great)
    never seen them before. looks like the camera obscura-sessions. but the credits mention corbyn as photographer. she looks so lost. I can't imagine, that she had time to care for a dog. maybe he was just around for the pictures.

you were asking, if nico ever performed solo in seattle or montréal.
    lutz ulbrich (aka lüül), a close friend of nico, mentions in his biography (only in german available), a few concerts in 1979 (between january and july) in new york at cbgb's (with cale), in washington, san francisco, los angeles and in toronto and buffalo, canada. most of the time they spent in new york at the chelsea hotel. ... they left the chelsea and went back to europe (around august 1979).

#811 gagavision, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 2, 2007
  12. babydoll1125

Thanks gagavision! Does his book have any pictures in it? I wish that they would translate these damn books, i want to read Ari's and Lutz's!

13. IcePrincess

IcePrincess New Member

Thank you!

Gagavision, that was beautiful and very nice of you :wub:

Love all the Nico photos!!! She had gorgeous bone structure.

14. gagavision

gagavision New Member

babydoll, I also wish anybody would translate ari's book.

in lutz's book are five photographs showing nico, amongst them this one:

http://www.luul.de/galerie/web/pages/5_cale.htm

which was already posted here. left of nico is lutz.

the other four pictures in the book are private snapshots. of course it's copyrighted material. since it's mainly a book about lutz ulbrich and his life as a musician, most of the pictures in the book show him and other musicians. and there is one picture of ari, taken in prague.

#814 gagavision, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Jul 30, 2007
  15. odelay

odelay New Member

I've always liked this story, from Moe Tucker's website: http://www.spearedpeanut.com/tajmoehal/faq/moefaq.html

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica] WHAT WAS NICO LIKE?
    [FONT=arial, helvetica] I can't pretend to have known her at all! Nico and I had nothing at all in common--she was worldly, gorgeous, and guarded. I was this schlep from levittown wearing t-shirts and dungarees, having no self-confidence whatsoever, trying not to be seen! We didnt dislike each other, we just had nothing to talk about. I found out after seeing Nico Icon (excellent movie!) that she didnt really talk to ANYONE! That was a huge surprise to me. The last time I saw her was in 1981 or so. I was in Los Angeles and found that she was playing at the Whisky so I decided to go say hello. I assumed that would be it--Hello, how are you? Goodbye. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised when she greeted me very enthusiastically and asked me to meet her after the show. We went to her hotel and drank beer and talked for hours. She seemed so genuinely happy to see me! My last memory of her is very pleasant.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

16. nicovelvet

nicovelvet New Member

^^Interesting what Moe Tucker wrote about Nico. Thank you Odelay. Also thanks Gagavision for the information about lutz ulbrich. I have read about him in the Richard DeWitt book. I didn't know that ulbritch wrote a book about his mémoires. That must be a good book. If I understand well, Ari's book is only in french? that is not a problem for me but I could swear that it was translated in english. Stuff about Nico are hard to find here in Montréal. All I got is the DeWitt book and a copy of Nico Icon which I treasured (and got a hard time to get). Since Ari's book is in french it should be easy to find it here in librairies but I haven't really looked yet. I know that it is available on the net but with the money exchange, posting, taxes and all, it become way too expensive.
    Ah yes, interesting about Nicos touring North America. I was pretty sure she never came to Canada. ...

#816 nicovelvet, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 2, 2007
  17. babydoll1125

That's a lovely Moe Tucker story! I think at that point Nico felt really alone and like all of her old friends wanted nothing to do with her, so i'm sure she was VERY happy that Moe came to her show. Remember the stories about her trying to contact Bob Dylan and David Bowie when they crossed paths and them saying they didn't want to see her, i think it really broke her heart.

18. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

19. IcePrincess

IcePrincess New Member

That was a sweet story! Nico seemed thrilled to see Moe.

I know babydoll1126, the Bob incident made me feel so bad ... Poor Nico

What happened between her and Bowie? :blush:

pg180 The End by James Young

Back in Oz, our four nights in Melbourne coincided with the Australian leg of Bob Dylan's Endless World tour.
    'I'd so like to see Bawb . . . it's been such a long time.'
    Dennis called Dylan's tour management. He got the classic rock 'n' roll runaround . . . call back at such and such time, maybe you will, maybe you won't. Finally Dennis got 'Maybe Bob will drop in and see Nico after his own show.'
    Nico was so excited, like it was a date. She had a bath and bought a new shirt. Throughout the gig she kept craning her neck, scanning the audience for a glimpse of Lonesome Bob. when he didn't show I found her crying in the dressing room.
    'No one comes to see me anymore'

:cry:

20. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

Poor girl. If the arrangement was never confirmed, he didn't exactly stand her up ("like it was a date"), but it's almost worse hoping (in vain) for someone to surprise you, as Nico probably was. :( I've read numerous anecdotes about Dylan being a prick, either way... but Bowie... What did happen there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.