Nico/Christa Päffgen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay,Thanks for finding/posting that picture of Nico by Linda McCartney-I had read about it but hadn't ever saw it.It is beautiful.
Alot of that crowd of "artists"back then were such back-stabbers and fakes.I mean that about Warhol,Reed and Bowie as well as others-Nico was so REAL,never fake.People are always so hurtful.

yeah its definitely nico - that photo was taken by linda mccartney (paul`s wife).
its in this book
http://www.amazon.de/Linda-McCartne...ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1186605741&sr=8-1

she photographed a lot of musicians in this time: hendrix, jefferson airplane, jolin .... ans also nico - there are also 2 or 3 other photos of her in this book

Thanks!! I went to the library and i got this so i'll scan the pictures tomorrow. Did you know that you can't be a member of a library if you don't live in the city? I had to beg someone to let me use there's.

Thanks!! I went to the library and i got this so i'll scan the pictures tomorrow. Did you know that you can't be a member of a library if you don't live in the city? I had to beg someone to let me use there's.

:lol: I was thinking about going to the library myself to see if they had that book. Can't wait to see the other pics.

Portrait of fallen icon Nico

A NEW play will document the last days of music and cultural icon Nico in Manchester, written by Stella Grundy - former frontwoman of indie band Intastella.

Stella (pictured) has written Nico Icon Play and will also star as the Velvet Underground singer when the play premieres next month.

Nico - real name Christa Paffgen - was a German model and actress who found worldwide fame when she worked with pop artist Andy Warhol, who introduced her to The Velvet Undergound.

She sang with the influential rock band, fronted by Lou Reed, and went on to enjoy a solo music career.

But the new play will chart the last eight years of Nico's life, when she lived and worked in Manchester, before leaving for Ibiza and dying a few months later in 1988. It's a story which has fascinated Stella for many years and now she's used the tale as the foundation for her debut play.

Stella tells me: "Nico spent eight years in Manchester, living in squats in Hulme and then in Prestwich. I have even been round to her old flat and done some filming there to include as part of the play. She left Velvet Underground and came to Manchester in 1981 and stayed here until 1988 when she left for Ibiza but died only a few months later.

"She worked with lots of musicians while she was here too and hooked up with the promoter Alan Wise. I am intrigued by her and her time here."

She's not the only one of Manchester's rich musical family who has been touched by the German-born singer's life and work. Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs, of Oasis fame, is also a huge fan.

So much so that Prestwich-based Stella has managed to convince the guitarist to become the play's musical advisor.

Final stage

"He may even play bass in the final stage play," Stella says.

Now a mum of an eight-year-old daughter, also called Nico - "I just loved the name," Stella says laughing at the irony - Stella is still involved in the music scene, but is leaning more towards acting and theatre these days.

"I have had bit parts in a few TV things, including a part as an ex-con who gets into a fight with Becky in the café in Coronation Street. I am really enjoying acting," she says.

"I have just started a new band too. It's called Stella and The Dogs and also includes former Smiths drummer Mike Joyce and guitarist Craig Gannon."

But Nico Icon Play could well give the former pop star a lift up the theatrical ladder to a completely new level.

It debuts from September 5-8 at Studio Salford , upstairs at the King's Arms in Bloom Street, Salford and looks like being included as part of the Nico festival celebrations on the 20th anniversary of her death in Berlin next July.

"She was only 49 when she died and her life was extraordinary," Stella says.

C_71_article_1013227_image_list_ima.jpg

:rolleyes: A Nico festival!?! I know I won't be going, but it's the first i've heard of it.

It's true. there are plans for a NICO festival next year in berlin. Lutz Ulbrich told me. he and Susanne Ofteringer are still in the brainstorming and planning phase. he was talking about fall 2008. I will tell you, if it's ripe for decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true. there are plans for a NICO festival next year in berlin. Lutz Ulbrich told me. he and Susanne Ofteringer are still in the brainstorming and planning phase. he was talking about fall 2008. I will tell you, if it's ripe for decision.

That would be great! Thanks Gagavision :flower: I'm sure they would do a great job with it. Would you be going if happens?

It should be in July for the aniversary of her death! Let us know when it will be because i want to go.

I wish i could go to that play! It sounds interesting, but it's too soon. I hope someone films it and puts it on youtube or something.

She left Velvet Underground and came to Manchester in 1981 and stayed here until 1988 when she left for Ibiza but died only a few months later.

Oh is that all she did?

Her birthday would be better but it's farther away :(

Nico SUPPOSEDLY gave Iggy the clap but he slept with so many women who knows.

No seriously, I would normaly think that Iggy was more inclined to give Nico STD other than the other way around. But the thing is that when Nico and Iggy met, she was older and more experienced than him. Iggy hasn't had a lot of experiences with girls back then. So sure, she probably gave him the clap...

I think it was "Please Kill me" where they had a charming little passage about Iggy squeezing something green out of his junk... chlamydia usually doesn't cause symptoms in women so they're more likely to carry and spread it than men, but seeing that it was the summer of love they were probably equally as diseased. :smile: :smile: :smile:

this conversation is kind of gross. we need some antibiotics up in here

Haha, Please Kill Me had a lot of great Nico stories (NOT this one with Iggy) I was really glad when i read it that there was a chapter dedicated to Nico.

sorry. ignore. read on. pics won't show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to scan the pictures from Linda McCartney's book yet but i will soon! I found these on ebay.

nico1-3.jpg

nico2-4.jpg

nico3-4.jpg

nico4-4.jpg

nico5-4.jpg

nico6-3.jpg

nico7-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads