Nylon June/July 2005 : Kelly Osbourne

kristi evert

Reaction score
NYLON JUNE-JULY- BEST NEW MODELS & MORE- kelly osbourne; sharin foo;

GREAT NEW MODELS IN NYLON:

BEST EDIT: 'untamed girl' sharin foo from denmark's raveonettes shot by emma summerton. I already thought that shrain was the prettiest woman in rock or music generally but this edit is even better than that. with her strong scandinavian genes/features and ice white blonde hair [think nico 1966] sharin is not just a passable model - shes one of the hottest models alive! comparable to winberg, julia, dewi, yfke- that hot!! who happens to be in one of the best retro-noise-pop bands of 2005 too! yes I do love sharin foo!! and kudos to nylon for these dramatic & suggestive set pieces by summerton- very chelsea hotel, very helmut newrton /meisel euro affair rendezvous!! killer styling/pieces by jenni jet too- hot!! gucci black tight skirt! balenciaga navy sailor's shirt! wolford black tights & kirkwood dominatrix black leather boots! hot! polka dot dress & black bobbie sox!! [sharin's legs open on white bedding!]; sharin laying on her side in bed in chloe sheer top & tight gucci black skirt!! this is a VERY hot edit & sharin is an extraordinary danish blonde model!!
this is one of my fave edits of the year & sharin is a legitimate star model. rating 11 of 10.

pg 50-53 'dark age ahead' ciara at supreme WOW!! looks like linda v's naughty dominatrix sister or sharin foo with goth black hair. april long's 'goth' confessional is amazingly trite but tina tyrell's pics of ciara are stunning. if only goth girls looked this hot! impeccable styling by nic klam incl. pieces by IOC [!]; ysl polka dot skirt, polo striped shirt, IOC grey tweed vest/shorts; vpl bra. actually klam gets huge credit here as this is some of the most attractive IOC styling ive ever seen! and oddly for a 'goth' article, i wear many of these type pieces like polo stripes, ysl dots, and grey tweeds! so if this is goth, suddenly i like it! I think actually ciara is just a superb discovery with black hair & klam styled totally wearable sharp pieces, and its just illustrating long's bland goth piece. great model & clothes: rating 8 of 10.

'save the music' pg 116 missy at planit M looks like ksenia the week before she went to rehab. shes styled like boy george & patti smith but [of course] looks way way prettier than them. this is an impressive music tribute story shot by elisabet davidsdottir [she had the best edit last month with a swedish winberg-lookalike] and styled by kusum lynn. the 2nd model is tanja at marilyn. she looks a lot like margaux hemingway as a **** [redundant] and also performs great here as courtney love, madonna circa true blue, and axl rose. actually the axl is her hottest look & she loos more like joni mitchell 1972 or aimee mann 1995. and that is HOT!! while not tyhe 2 prettiest models in this issue, this concept is brilliantly executed by the photog, styling, models hair & makeup. and you have got to love patti, culture club, 1986 madonna etc. rating 8 of 10.

'quiet riot' pg 28 eugenia at ford looks like the peroxide blonde mena suvari or nancy sinatra 1969. article features Bk alterna-designer christian joy [of karen o fame] gotta love the silver dress & black legwarmers. eugenia's blonde bouffant is even hotter than joy's notable post-hipster clothes. nicky coen decent loose styling too.

'gods & monsters' pg 32 katerina at ford looks like malgosia bela around the time she started doing heroin. alex herchcovich rainbow pinwheel dress interesting latex [?] fabric & appliques too. coen's styling here is ok but she could try a little harder sometimes.

karen @ supreme. 'cotton candy' pg 54-56. karen is a really cute light blonde, very dewi d, or kate bosworth's blondest moment: but heather catania's photos are a real shadowy tease & possibly incompetant too. this is pretty frustrating as karen looks really hot, alsmost a junior caroline winberg but these candids are poor fashion magazine images. the same is true but even worse for maria at NYMM also shot by catania- hot body but cant see her face at all! BAD! amateur!!

'stardust memories' quinn from ford leads off the beauty section and she is an important discovery. basically she's the more-teen version of heather marks, a pale natural redhead with gorgeous pouty lips, very heather/stam style naturally beautiful doll-like yet modern features, and a readhead passion that makes lily cole look false & chubby. love louise enhorning's shy photo. matt ames' 80s-05 purple jumper & electric blue striped shirt are 2 of the more 'now' pieces in this ish. we've got to see a full length edit on quinn asap she's one of the more interesting teen girls Ive seen in awhile.

OK NEW GIRLS:

'tiger beat' karoline @ supreme looks like JP's naughtier younger sister.

'sound garden' pg 58-63. breann at ford looks like a cuter rachel feinstein or even shandi from top model season 2; not crazy about sally at next. at her best she's a mid-west alicia silverstone but really she looks more like a 1940's sallow dorothea lange dustbowl/walton's mountain bland-ette. not thrilled by this grunge-redux/thrift shop story styled by aya kanai altho a couple pieces like daryl K & jpg are more luxe than the ragatag grunge surface theme. rating 4 of 10.

COVER/EDIT: Kelly Osbourne. not a fan. valerie phillips candids are ok as far as beverly hills backyard pets go. april long's feature less so. If nylon is going to give reporter april so much space monthly she is going to have to find more interesting slants on her subjects/topics. shes far too blase & redundant in her writing & while visuals are nylon's forte [to say the least] theyve got to give us something to read. Raygun did it along with graphics that were even better than these so lets see some better interviews & reviews in the near future. the kelly snaps are sloppy & unimportant & shes a poor cover choice to me. rating 2 of 10.

RETRO FABULOUS: bananarama 'venus envy' pg 34 fond memories of 'cruel summer' and 'robert deniro's waiting.'

* pg 68-70- the ronettes, the runaways, the go-gos- more perfect girl group style from the 60s-80s.

SMART SHOPPING:

pg 36 chanel crossbones earrings! $796.

* pg 40 polo jeans $150; rykiel skull dress $1,725. like me do you see skulls everywhere now?? ben sherman red cycle jacket $120.

* pg 42 red/lilac/navy striped polo by fred perry $85 great!!!!

* 'bag check': pg 136. boss lady chewing gum $1.25. lip theory lip balm $6. sniff tissues $1.50. all essentials in my flight bag, you??

COLLAGES/ART:

pg 44 nice mark lazenby b&w patterned collage incl burberry coat $2,300; lacoste b&w check polo $85 nice!! DVF wrap dress $285; ck pinstripe skirt $150;
impressive combo of sharp shopping picks with functional collage/b&w layout by lazenby- art + shopping = good!

* pg 48 'all shook up' elvis collage incl pieces by tuleh, heatherette, dior & cool elvis white jumpsuits, black leather & 'cycle shades laid out by bryn arbuckle.

RADAR/MUSIC: superb 50 page [!!!] music section this month incl:
* the Like 3 connected LA teenagers- are they good? not sure- theyve got to play NYC more often. jarrett's pics are really lazy, jennifer johnson barely styles at all, but hopefully we'll see the proper glam Like story in this or another teen beat mag soon.

* maximo park- newcastle, UK noise-pop-new wave combo- their 'a certain trigger' LP might be the best Lp of 2005. funny feature by luke crisell & incidental pic by Ruvan but most importantly: BUY MAXIMO's LP!! its the best youll hear in 2005!

* aimee mann. Im a huge fan of her solo work. nylon didnt do much with the radar photos this month but all of these musical artists are well worth collecting LP-wise. Im buying aimee & dj sneak's latest CDs tomorrow at tower at lincoln center!!

* louis XIV. fun san diego glam-rockers. palying central park with the killers on saturday. not sure how into louis i am at this point but we'll see. the hotel lobby mirror pic is a bit off hand but also ok for these sloppy slaggs.

* gorillaz. not a fan but love jamie's cartoons. nylon has 2 of noodle in soho & its funny. I am a huge fan of blur [and graham solo too] so we'll see what the future holds for them. blur is one of the best bands since the early 90s & I far prefer them to this gorillaz shite.

* mixtape by new order's peter hook. sirens call Lp disappointing but hooky canes some nice trax incl sigue sigue sputnik [!!] and jacques lu cont.

HOT ADS: Luca & diana d for H&M. never liked H&M clothes at all but must credit the hotness of luca & diana modelling tight swimsuits for them. both are worldclass hotties in every way & with the even hotter julia bikini pics elsewhere in this campaign, and other ads with buswell & marija, look at me saying good things about H&M and their ads! luca, diana & julia in swimsuits: super hot!!

* Luca for chanel eyewear. see this image everywhere around new york, german luca is one of the most smouldering & versatile models- deserves a lot more acclaim than she gets outside the fashion world. so cute.

ben sherman- the halter & blue shorts dont try too hard but love the grass-level park image- is this sheep meadow? cool backgrround.

VERDICT: TWO THUMBS UP. Sharin Foo is not just the most beautiful woman in music shes also an extraordinary blonde danish model. Nylon completely showed that in a superb edit by emma summerton & it's one of my favourites of the year. april long's goth article was lame but ciara at supreme was a black-haired goth model every bit as hot as linda V. the 'save the music' story effectively recreated axl, patti, madonna & others via strong girls missy & tanja shot by davidsdottir, who is quickly establishing herself at the top of nylon's photo crew. also loved eugenia & quinn at ford & karen @ supreme, all worthy of expanded edits soon. the music section was much longer & also had better picks than usual, incl personal faves maximo park & aimee mann. the shopping & collages were also on the money for a succinct & successful nylon in nearly every department. the kelly osbourne coverstory is really the only negative here, sharin foo should have been the coverstar but I guess kelly is nylon's concession to LA/tv/massmarket fame. Room for improvement? more sexy/sensuous swimsuit edits as we've seen in nylon this year & before. even more avant garde photographers like richard kern. and more new, sexy models & avant garde styling & art direction & illustrations, all of which make nylon one of the most exciting fashion magazines month to month. BUY IT!!!!

Is this your own personal review or does it have another source? Sorry ...just wondering.

Sounds like a cool issue. I'm very fond of Axl Rose imitations so I'm definitely going to be checking this one out... :D

The styling sounds a-mazing. Nylon is just too cool.

Agree...excellent review! Thanks! I haven't seen the magazine and your review has me looking up all of the models now. :flower:

nylon.jpg

(Of course, I'm not as impressed with the cover.)

Nylon mag - HELP!

big favour - was wondering if anyone here has the lastest Nylon magazine to hand (with Kelly Osbourne on the cover) as I left mine at home
I'm wanting to know the name of the designer who started making costumes for music videos/concerts. There was a 2 page spread of her clothes ... one had a grey dress with really long leg warmers, and the other page had a black back-less dress. If someone could tell me the name of the designer, that would be great :flower:

thank you lovely!! B)

am trying to track down some of her clothes. I've just e-mailed her as I was lusting after the grey dress + legwarmers in the mag

christian joy is based in brooklyn ny and is most famed for designing much of karen o [YYY's] wardrobe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->