UK Vogue August 2005 : Gemma Ward by Mario Testino

model_mom

Reaction score
UK Vogue Aug 05 [mention] From Fashist Online
[size=-2]Posted on July 8, 2005 at 03:41:28 AM by Cathy
[/size]
Got my issue yesterday:

Cover:
It’s Gemma by Testino, in lightly printed Missoni chiffon. As it’s Gemma, you’ll either like it or loathe it. As there’s no image available yet, I’ll try to describe – it’s like summer’s boho ‘kaftan’ look has had a breath of fresh air, making it clean and airy, with simpler, more dramatic lines. It’s clothes for a woman, not for a girl.

I feel it’s good to see Gemma get the cover again, after a string of editorials inside, and personally, I love the image, but you’ll soon see it for yourself when it comes up on ebay or vogue.co.uk over the weekend.

194 pgs.

New Ads:

<LI>4 pg Gucci (also get back page) with the Ralph-Lauren-alike accessory shots with the headless model. They’re evidently trying to go for the luxe look, with an emphasis on the texture of the materials.
<LI>2 pg Prada, dark and dramatic.
<LI>2 pg Dior with Kate Moss, same ad as in UK Elle Aug 05.
<LI>2 pg Vuitton with Uma Thurman, looks a lot like last season, same bag too, by the look of it.
<LI>2 pg YSL with Daria – using Daria means that this YSL ad makes me think of Chanel, rather than YSL standing out as a separate brand.
<LI>1 pg Blumarine with a brunette Nadja Auermann.
<LI>2 pg Giorgio Armani with Erin Wasson, dark and luxe.
<LI>2 pog Burberry with Kate Moss, there’s more action in this series than in last season’s, and more focus on Kate herself.
<LI>Bottega Veneta with Christy Turlington in the ‘lift scenario’ I described in my UK Elle review.
<LI>1 pg Moschino.
<LI>2 pg Chanel with Daria, as I said before, no change here whatsoever.
<LI>2 pg Paul & Joe.
<LI>2 pg Escada with Julia Stegner, Karen Elson, Marija, Hana, Liya and Caroline Trentini.
<LI>2 pg Hugo Boss with Julia Stegner, very refined ad, same ad as in UK Elle Aug 05.

Articles:
Notable articles include someone needing to update their look, after boho ruined their lifelong look. Plus, someone battles rosacea, and various women show how their mix-n-match their wardrobe during a typical week. There’s also a look at the state of French design houses today.

Editorials:
SEDUCED BY THE DARK SIDE is a 14 pg Testino editorial with Gemma, where he imagine he’s working for Vogue Italia, and asks her to strike slightly vacant-eyed poses in dramatic black clothes in the grounds of a ruined Spanish-style castle. Testino does ‘edgy’ with a very soft edge, so it’s a good opener, softly dramatic. And it’s really a Portuguese castle, I see from the notes.

YOUNG HOLLYWOOD is a short portfolio of up-and-coming stars, shot by Amanda de Cadenet (if you remember her). 16 pgs.

DRESSING UP is a desert road trip scenario shot by Laurie Bartley, with a blonde model I don’t recognise. It’s 12 pgs of black shift dresses and thick headbands, and hounds-tooth jackets. It’s a simple presentation of clothes with simple lines, but it’s just not that exciting.

Caroline Trentini is a CLASS ACT in a 10 pg ‘ladylike’ editorial shot by Robert Wyatt. She’s a sophisticated lady with expensive handbags, sitting in her empty apartment. Caroline looks well, but her shoes are a little too large… she’s just not old enough to carry of ‘dangerous lady’ with true aplomb. She looks like someone wearing her older sister’s clothes.

Overall:
Vogue’s attention has firmly turned in the direction of autumn, and the excitement of the new season, and this disguises the fact that there’s not THAT much in this issue. It’s worth a look, but it’s all centred on how you feel about Gemma. If you loathe her, this is an empty issue for you.

There aren’t that many new ads in this issue – I can tell they were struggling to sell the space, as this issue is full of what’s called ‘house ads’ - adverts for subscriptions to Conde Nast magazines. Magazines put these ads in when they have nothing else to fill the space, and this issue has numerous full page ads of this sort.

Comes with a 50 pg catwalk supplement which has a simple layout with numerous images, but which lacks excitement and colour.

thanks for the review! good to see they have a catwalk supplement as well, i will definitely buy it!

Thanks for the info:flower:

Thank you model_mom! I love Gemma so I can't wait to get this issue

The freshly-scanned cover.

vogueaug05.jpg

like the dress but i don't like the makeup/hair. her forehead looks huge in that shot

scans......

kitsch said:
The freshly-scanned cover.

thanks 4 that! looks great!......is there any chance that u post scans from the gemma editorial........thanks i n advance,best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite a large editorial but I shall scan it for my fellow TFSers.

Bare with me.

thanks!

kitsch said:
It's quite a large editorial but I shall scan it for my fellow TFSers.

Bare with me.

cool! thanks 4 the effort :D.....can´t wait! lol....regards....

Sorry, it's taking longer than I thought. I've scanned them and I'm now uploading but my computer's being extremely slow.

They're coming!

i think softgrey might like the 'black' editorial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stranger1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->