Organic / Vegan Cosmetics

Paper Doll

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been using Zuzu Luxe vegan cosmetics for about a year but I've been thinking about switching to Miessence organic cosmetics. Does anyone use this particular brand? The ingredients seem to be more 'pure' than any other brand I've tried thus far.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a vegan or organic sunblock that works well on sensitive skin? I've been using Aubrey Organics Titania Sunblock UVA/UVB Full Spectrum SPF 25 which works well enough but it can be quite powdery.

Thanks! ^_^

I havent used any, but i hear great things about Ecco Bella. I'm going to get some today, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Zia is also supposed to be really good.

I like the earthy scent of Ecco Bella but unfortunately for me the shades are too dark/deep for my pale skin tone. :(

I've not yet tried Zia cosmetics. I think Whole Foods market carries it if I'm not mistaken. ^_^

Thanks! I hope Ecco Bella works out for you! :flower:

yeah, i've been digging all over to find out which are the best brands, but I don't think many people are into organic skincare. It's become an offshoot of my love of organic foods. I'm just owrried they won't work as well as my heavy chemical neutrogena and MAC

I agree, the popular interest in organic or even vegan skincare is greatly lacking. Which is a shame because the chemical laden brands can age and damage the skin. I wish the positive effects of organic and vegan skincare and cosmetics would be taken into mass consideration. Generally, people aren't sure about the quality or consistency of the products so they never try them.

However, it's true that 'most' organic or vegan cosmetics don't provide as much coverage as the chemical laden brands. (I use Zuzu Luxe concealer and pressed powder for those 'stubborn' spots. ^_-) The powder alone only sits on the top layer of the skin - it does not penetrate. Which is a sigh of relief for the pores. :flower:

(I too share your love for organic foods. :flower: )

Angyl said:
I'm just worried they won't work as well as my heavy chemical neutrogena and MAC

If you'd like to try a natural skincare product vs. Neutrogena, then I'd suggest the MyChelle line. There is a website www.mychelleusa.com

Check it out! ^_^

thanks paper. I'll add that to my list. maybe one of us will figure out what works best.

You're welcome! :wink:

MyChelle really works great and you can receive free samples via an e-mail inquiry - a-wink a-wink! :innocent:

I'll be sure to let you know how the Miessence works - 'if' I buy it, of course.

This may seem like a stupid question but, do these make-up products get tested on animals?

Hi Reseneace,

That's not a stupid question. :wink:

Zuzu Luxe and Ecco Bella are vegan cosmetics and are not tested on animals.

If you're interested in trying one of these brands I'd suggest Zuzu Luxe. Ecco Bella contains parabens which can cause skin sensitivity and irritation in most individuals.

(Miessence organic cosmetics are also not tested on animals) ^_^

Thanks for that paper doll, do you know if and where i could purchase Zuzu Luxe in England? :flower:

Any of you know if there's a listing somewhere of ingredients that I should be looking out for? Sometimes I cna stare and stare at a label and still have no idea because a lot of organic ingredients look like chemicals.

Reseneace said:
Thanks for that paper doll, do you know if and where i could purchase Zuzu Luxe in England? :flower:

You're welcome!^_^

I'm not sure where you can purchase Zuzu Luxe in England. Most likely at a health foods store. There are a few websites that carry Zuzu Luxe. This one is quite good - http://www.veganunlimited.com/ :flower:

Angyl said:
Any of you know if there's a listing somewhere of ingredients that I should be looking out for? Sometimes I cna stare and stare at a label and still have no idea because a lot of organic ingredients look like chemicals.

*10 SYNTHETIC COSMETIC INGREDIENTS TO AVOID*

By Aubrey Hampton

If you want natural products, you have to be willing to search them out. Learn to read labels, and refuse to settle for half-natural hair and skin care. Below I've listed and described my "ten most wanted" I most want to see off the labels of so-called natural hair and skin care products.

1. Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea — These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens. They are well established as a primary cause of contact dermatitis (American Academy of Dermatology). Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals have a good antifungal, and must be combined with other preservatives. Germall 115 releases formaldehyde at just over 10°. These chemicals are toxic.

2. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals. Highly toxic.

3. Petrolatum — I see this on lip products from time to time, which is humorous to me because they're usually advertised as protecting the lips from sunburn, chapping and so forth. Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping. You are being sold a product that creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

4. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. Has been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions.

5. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, wavesets and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since particles may contribute to foreign bodies in the lungs of sensitive persons.

6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate — This synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation "comes from coconut."

7. Stearalkonium Chloride — A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. Causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. Toxic.

8. Synthetic Colors — The synthetic colors used to supposedly make a cosmetic "pretty" should be avoided at all costs, along with hair dyes. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Synthetic colors are believed to be cancer-causing agents. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

9. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply say "Fragrance." Some of the problems caused by these chemicals are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation by a cosmetic that has the word "Fragrance" on the ingredients label.

10. Triethanolamine — Often used in cosmetics to adjust the pH, and used with many fatty acids to convert acid to salt (stearate), which then becomes the base for a cleanser. TEA causes allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

To Summarize: Look for natural ingredients in the products you buy. Do not use cosmetics that are artificially colored. Is the shampoo bright green or blue? Very likely it contains a coal tar color. Does the product contain synthetic fragrances? Don't buy it. You may find that some of your allergy problems will suddenly disappear when you no longer use cosmetics formulated with petrochemicals and other synthetics.

There's an extensive list of natural ingredients most commonly used in organic and/or natural cosmetics here - http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/dictionary/a_diction.cfm

I've also found further information on parabens.

The Truth About Parabens

The National Organic Program prohibits chemical preservatives in products that are labeled "organic." So what are chemical preservatives such as methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl parabens doing in personal care products labeled "organic?"

There are many delightful organic foods that contain no preservatives. Read the labels on your organic honey, maple syrup, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, raisins, peanut butter and wine. These foods are considered by the FDA to be "self-preserving" and contain no preservatives. This means that, because of certain inherent qualities, these foods are naturally stable and not overly susceptible to contamination from bacteria.

Organic herbal medicinal tinctures made from high quality organic herbs and organic grain alcohol are shelf-stable for around two to three years. True castile soap, liquid or bars, has an excellent shelf-life of up to eighteen months or longer and requires no preservatives. Wouldn´t you prefer body care products that are fresh (like the food you eat) rather than several years old?

A self-preserved 100% organic moisturizing body oil made from organic sunflower oil, organic cocoa butter, organic coconut oil, organic peppermint oil and organic spearmint oil can have a shelf-life of up to 18 months.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in their report "Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in the Environment: Agents of Subtle Change?" reported that the chemical preservatives called parabens—methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl (alkyl-p-hydroxybenzoates)—displayed estrogenic activity in several tests. This means that these chemicals mimic your body´s own hormones and can have endocrine-disrupting action when they are rubbed into your body or washed down the drain into your drinking water. These disruptors interfere with your body´s endocrine system: your hypothalamus, your ovaries, your thyroid—virtually every system in your body. The EPA also stated that "continual introduction of these benzoates (parabens) into sewage treatment systems and directly to recreational waters from the skin leads to the question of risk to aquatic organisms." Scientists in Europe found other endocrine-disrupting body care chemicals in the bodies of fish that humans are eating, and in human breast milk.

Dr. Elizabeth Smith has written that "It is a known medical fact that estrogen stimulates breast cancer" and that "anything absorbed through the skin may be as high as 10 times the concentration of an oral dose." (Think about how nicotine and birth control/hormone patches work—the chemicals are absorbed through the skin!) She also reported that, in one study, a paraben was injected under the skin and was found to have an "estrogenic response on uterine tissues." Scientists observing these harmful effects on the uterus remarked that "it is suggested that the safety in use of these chemicals should be reassessed."

Endocrine disruptors are transported into the body, daily, via absorption through the skin and hair follicles when using personal care products. Now that we know that we absorb toxins through our skin, isn´t it important that body care products that claim to be organic should be as pure as the organic foods that we eat?

There are three ingredients in Zuzu Luxe Dual Powder Foundation that I'm not too sure of which is why I want to switch to Miessence organics. These ingredients are;

Octyl Palmitate: (from palm oil) This ingredient can clog pores in some individuals.

Dimethicone: (mineral derived silicone based oil - used as an emulsifier) Supposedly acts as a protective layer, will not clog pores, and absorbs oil. (I'm still unsure of this claim)

Silica: [I'm not sure if it's crystalline silica (harmful carcinogen) or fumed silica (used to prevent caking)]

Although I'd still recommend Zuzu Luxe over any of the other popular vegan brands. Mainly because it does not contain parabens.

Thanks again Paper Doll, that site only ships to canada so i had a look for some other places that might and i can't find any in England! But i'll have a look around now i know what i'm looking for! Thanks!

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

the above website is pretty interesting. it tells you the relative toxicity of your skin/hair care/make up/etc products. most of the stuff on there is organic or touted as natural. a lot of ingredients have not been tested before and they do mark that as a negative. i don't always agree that these untested ingredients are harmful though, so i just took from it what i wanted.

from their website
Skin Deep was conceived and developed by the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. focused on safeguarding public health and the environment. Skin Deep is an online, brand-by-brand personal care product safety guide with in-depth information on 14,406 products - 1,004 brands of lotion, lip balm, deodorant, sunscreen and other popular products - and the 6,893 ingredients that form them. With its core of 37 toxicity and regulatory databases, Skin Deep provides safety ratings and brand-by-brand comparisons that can help consumers choose safer products, and that can guide companies in plans for reformulating products.

Lush Cosmetics here is a bit of info from lush.co.uk:

Here at Lush we take the contents of our products seriously. Our products are made with the freshest organic* fruit and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics, without any animal ingredients. (We also do not purchase ingredients from any organisations which has any involvement in animal testing). We put in far more detail than most cosmetics companies, with the English as well as the official Latin names so you know where you are with our products. An amazing 73% of our current product range (Not including the gift range), is suitable for Vegans, we hope you'll like them!
*We also believe words like "fresh" and "organic" have honest meaning beyond marketing.

anyone tried the 'new hair shampoo' (the cinnamon red bar one) from lush?
it's really great. but i heard they're discontinued......:cry:

Make up causes cancer?

They were talking yesterday on Fox news about how makeup causes cancer and kills you:blink: . Okay, two things. Number one, one more reason for me to hate Fox news (stupid report!:angry: ); number two, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:D ! Yeah, right. Then every woman I know is gonna die soon! And real soon at that!

I think we all know this is kinda silly, but just in case, at least I'll die looking lovely!!!:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->