Otis College of Art and Design - Los Angeles

Casualuxury

Reaction score
I recently went on an interview at this college, and I liked it a lot. I find out in 3 weeks if I'm accepted. If anyone attends this school, please let me know what you think of it and how life is in Los Angeles.

I wish I could've gone there. They were asking for 18 studio art credits as a sophmore transfer when I only have about 6.:cry: GOODLUCK!:D

I attend

Even though I'm not yet into my major, I'm in my second semester of foundation, I really can't wait to start fashion. I am personally in love with my school, well at least with the fashion department. Every time I walk around the halls and look at the student work I'm just blown away.

What I think that is great about Otis fashion dept is that it's the only country in the nation that has the designer's mentor program which basically invites designers/companies to become junior and senior class mentors and give them design directions and such where at the end of the school year you have the annual fashion show. I think this is great because it gives you that real work experience while in school. The fact that they've beaten out Parsons and all the other fashion schools in the country as the title for best in school for the past recent years including 2005 awarded by the CFDA is impressive. In my opinion in terms of educationi Otis is the best.

I hope you get in, if you do just be advide that you will be working non stop even in foundation year. You really won't have time for a social life unless you want your grades to suffer.

If you have any questions let me know. I can definetly try to answer some.

DriversHigh said:
I wish I could've gone there. They were asking for 18 studio art credits as a sophmore transfer when I only have about 6.:cry: GOODLUCK!:D

why don't you start off at foundation level at otis, i'm pretty sure they would take the 6 credits you have, it's just that you would still be considered a foundation student.

the one thing i would definetly do, even if one starts as a foundation student, prior to coming to otis, is to try to get art history done at a community college, because art history is crazy at Otis. crazy in the sense that if you're not a big fan of art history or can concentrate on it, you'll have trouble. and you really don't need trouble with all the other courseload you'll have from the other classes.

ameliamaria59 said:
Does anyone know anything about Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles?

I currently attend Otis and major in fashion design(sophomore). What do you want to know. Otis has one of the best fashion programs in the country if not the best, but it's really not for everyone. Otis pushes more the commercial side of the industry, because in the end Fashion is a business. A lot of students who end up dropping out of the fashion major is because they don't get high enough grades or are discouraged to continue(mainly because they thought the major was going to beeasy, when it really ends up being the most rigorous program in the school). Other kids who dropout or transfer out, didn't really research the school prior to coming, because they think they can just walk in and do whatever they want(fine artists who think fashion is art), when in reality they should be heading to Central St. Martins if they want that kind of liberty.

Otis prepares you in every way, they push Illustration a lot. Even though Illustration isn't even part of a designers job today, one of the reasons they push it is because they believe that in order to be a good designer you have to be able to communicate your ideas clearly, not just by flats, etc, but also being able to illustrate them so that your average joe can understand them. It's also for presentation purposes I guess.
First year is Foundation, and is not major specific, so in general you'll have to take all the regular design classes every freshman has to take(regardless of your prospective Major.

During your sophomore year, you enter your major(fashion) and basically learn all the basics, and prepare you for junior and senior years where basically you'll get the experience of designing for real designers/brands/companies.

During your Junior and Senior Years you get to work with different mentors(designers/brands/companies). These mentors come in and basically tell you to design under a certain direction, as if they were your boss, and they critique your work, and you make the garments, which are then critique and chosen to be put in the annual scholarship benefit fashion show. This year some of the senior student mentors include Armani Exchange, Calvin Klein, BCBG, Behnaz Serafpour, Bob Mackie. the junior student mentors include Betsey Johnson, Billabong, Pattagonia, Juicy Couture and others. Every year they change the designers/mentors. Like last couple of years they have had Cirque de Soliel(sp?), Vera Wang, John Varvatos, Lloyd Klein, Nike, Isabel Toledo, PacSun, James Perse, A&F,Volcom, Nicole Miller, Trina Turk, Sean John, etc.

As good as the school is, it's really not for the faint heart, or for the designer that feels that they can do whatever they want because "fashion is art" to them. And which i think at the same time is the reason why Otis is a great school for fashion.

thanks a lot for all the info :wink:, it sounds like a really good school. I'm glad that they put emphasis on illustrating because I love drawing.
I'm hoping to attend Otis this fall for the foundation year.

ameliamaria59 said:
thanks a lot for all the info :wink:, it sounds like a really good school. I'm glad that they put emphasis on illustrating because I love drawing.
I'm hoping to attend Otis this fall for the foundation year.
then you should have no trouble with the illustration classes. did you already get accepted? add me on myspace or something myspace.com/jeffrey0806

"L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" WWD

Excerpt from: article posted on the wwd website that is titled "L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades"

Otis College of Art and Design
Otis is a four-year art and design college with four campuses based around Los Angeles. Fashion design students attend class in a wing of the California Market Center in downtown Los Angeles, where they have access to hundreds of apparel and accessories showrooms and multitude of textile and trim companies. Students at Otis are known for their highly creative fashion sense, and tend to view fashion as more of an art than merchandise.

One of Otis' strengths is its Professional Designer Mentorship Program, where designers such as John Varvatos, Francisco Costa, Vera Wang, Bob Mackie, Diane von Furstenberg, Trina Turk and BCBG's creative director, Lubov Azria, volunteer to provide mentorship and direction from sketching and fabric draping to production of the final garment. The best work by student designers is presented on the runway at Otis' annual scholarship fund-raising gala, held the first Saturday of May.

Current majors include architecture, communication arts, digital media, fashion design, fine arts, interactive product design and toy design.

Number of students: 1,100, with 200 in the fashion design program.
Tuition: Cost for 2007-08 is $37,000, with room and board available at an additional $9,000 a year.
Notable grads: Tom Ford, Cynthia Vincent, Rick Owens, and Eduardo Lucero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a warning, Otis is a VERY VERY VERY hard school, if you only like looking at clothes and trying them on, stick to FIDM. I go to otis and there is no such thing as a social life at that school. I mean It will get you places and when i look back on my work from the past semester i'm so proud and i can't wait for next year to start, but GIRLFRIEND it is a tough school and it's not for those who like to sleep. Amazing though, none the less.

Just a warning, Otis is a VERY VERY VERY hard school, if you only like looking at clothes and trying them on, stick to FIDM. I go to otis and there is no such thing as a social life at that school. I mean It will get you places and when i look back on my work from the past semester i'm so proud and i can't wait for next year to start, but GIRLFRIEND it is a tough school and it's not for those who like to sleep. Amazing though, none the less.

so im guessing you go to otis? im looking to transfer there. how do you like it there? does it seem like many people get good jobs after they leave?

I think it depends on how you l ike to learn...
I wouldn't say I am lazy and like to sleep, but I absorb things better if I'm given time to play, experiment with ideas... so a fast-paced program with crammed work would not be the best bet
After finishing school I am now taking it slower, taking one course (two actually ..just to see if I can do it) so that I can focus and give all my energy to one technique...

Otis College of Art & Design

My apologies if there is already a thread for this (link?)

Is anyone familiar with this school as far as the fashion design curriculum? I've been wanting to take some classes and was wondering if anyone had any experience here. Thanks,

xx. MG

Otis College of Art and Design

I've just received my acceptance letter fom Otis for Fall 09 Foundation. I'm planning to major in Fashion Design after foundation year. Has anyone here studied in Otis/ studying in Otis/ heard of what goes on there? I would like some opinions on what the school is like.

i don't go to otis but i have many friends that do (most are in fashion design). from what they tell me, you're not guaranteed into the fashion design program, it's a very small campus/school, work is rigorous, and oh she told me that for fashion design, as they get closer to senior year, people drop out of the program like flies and by senior year more than half are gone.. u really gotta have a passion to do it but there's great work and they love the school! have fun .

Anyone here who is attending Photography at Otis?
I would like to know what it's like.
There is a possibility for me to exchange with Otis, I'm living in Holland now and studying photography
I hope there is someone here who can tell me more about it ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->